Searching tool which shutdown the computer at a certain time

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I want to shutdown my computer at a certain time (e.g. 1:00 a.m.)

I want to let this be done automatically by a tool.
It should be small (not ressource consuming and absolute reliable)
Does someone know such a utility?

Paul

On 08 Jul 2005 10:02:10 GMT, baras@arcor.com (Paul Barasoa) wrote:

>I want to shutdown my computer at a certain time (e.g. 1:00 a.m.)
>
>I want to let this be done automatically by a tool.
>It should be small (not ressource consuming and absolute reliable)
>Does someone know such a utility?
>
>Paul

Download PsShutdown from tip 4086 » PsShutdown command-line freeware works on both the local and remote computers.
in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com

Use the Task Scheduler to schedule it to run.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

On 08 Jul 2005 10:02:10 GMT, Paul Barasoa wrote:

> I want to shutdown my computer at a certain time (e.g. 1:00 a.m.)
>
> I want to let this be done automatically by a tool.
> It should be small (not ressource consuming and absolute reliable)
> Does someone know such a utility?

Included with Windows XP is the command line shutdown.exe utility. Use the
Windows XP task scheduler to set up a scheduled task to run at 1:00 AM.
The command line to shutdown the computer would be:

shutdown.exe -s

type shutdown.exe -? at the command prompt for a full list of switches
available.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

shutdown.exe - run as a scheduled task.

Paul Barasoa fumbled, fiddled and fingered:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PsShutdown.html

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

Just make a txt file, type:

shutdown.exe -s -f

in it, rename textfile.txt to textfile.bat and with Start - All Programs -
Accessoires - System Tools - Sheduled Tasks schedule it and everything would
be OK without 3rd party applications. In command prompt type shutdown /? for
additional info (shutdown type, waiting time, remote pc).

I think .. just theoretical :)

"Paul Barasoa" <baras@arcor.com> wrote in message
> I want to shutdown my computer at a certain time (e.g. 1:00 a.m.)
>
> I want to let this be done automatically by a tool.
> It should be small (not ressource consuming and absolute reliable)
> Does someone know such a utility?
>
> Paul

you may see:-
http://www.budja.com/shutdown/
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PsShutdown.html

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Paul Barasoa wrote:

> I want to shutdown my computer at a certain time (e.g. 1:00 a.m.)
>
> I want to let this be done automatically by a tool.
> It should be small (not ressource consuming and absolute reliable)
> Does someone know such a utility?
>
> Paul

There's actually a way to do it in just about any version of Windows.
First, go to 'Scheduled Tasks' (under the control panel) and
double-click on 'Add Scheduled Task'. This will start up a little
wizard asking you for information about the task etc. After clicking
next, you'll be asked to choose which application to run; click browse
and go to "C:\WINDOWS\system32". Somewhere in the system32 folder will
be a file named shutdown.exe (or just shutdown if you don't have file
extensions showing)- select this file. The next two phases of the
wizard will ask for information about when you'd like to run the task
(choose when you'd like to have your computer shutdown). On the final
screen there'll be and option to open the advanced properties, ensure
that this is checked, then click finish.

Under the 'Run:' section of the properties there should be this
(without the quotes): "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe".
We want to change it to this (again, without the quotes):
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00".

You can also use shutdown.exe to do a few other tasks. These include:

Restart the computer ("C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -r -t 00")

and

Logoff the computer ("C:\WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -l -t 00").

You may also want to have a warning dialogue popup when the computer is
about to shutdown and remain for a specified amount of time. To do
this, simply replace the two 0's after the -t to the number of seconds
you want it to last (note: if you try this out and want to abort the
shutdown, go to Start -> Run, then type "shutdown -a", then click OK.

Though a bit lengthy, I think that should allow you to do it. Of course
you can use any of the options that are a part of the Windows Task
scheduler. Furthermore, just so you know, shutdown.exe is simply a
Windows command-line program. For more help using it, go to Start ->
Run and type cmd. This will bring up the Command Prompt. In it, type
"Shutdown /?" then press ENTER. For help about other command-line
programs in the Command Prompt, simple type "help" in it then press
ENTER.

"" wrote:
> On 08 Jul 2005 10:02:10 GMT, baras@arcor.com (Paul Barasoa)
> wrote:
>
> >I want to shutdown my computer at a certain time (e.g. 1:00
> a.m.)
> >
> >I want to let this be done automatically by a tool.
> >It should be small (not ressource consuming and absolute
> reliable)
> >Does someone know such a utility?
> >
> >Paul
>

> Download PsShutdown from tip 4086 » PsShutdown command-line
> freeware works on both the local and remote computers.
> in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsifaq.com
>
> Use the Task Scheduler to schedule it to run.

Jerold,

i saw an old post from you that I could use some help on. Trying to
get users within Computer Management to be forced off after a specific
amount of time,

I have the code snip that you had but doesn’t seem to work.. please
reach me if you can wfmnick at @ at yahoo.com

thanks

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Searching-tool-shutdown-computer-time-ftopict554527.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1761590

baras@arcor.com (Paul Barasoa) wrote:

>I want to shutdown my computer at a certain time (e.g. 1:00 a.m.)
>I want to let this be done automatically by a tool.
>It should be small (not ressource consuming and absolute reliable)
>Does someone know such a utility?

Type
SHUTDOWN /?
at a DOS prompt and check the information given here.

--
(tm)

Paul Barasoa wrote:
> I want to shutdown my computer at a certain time (e.g. 1:00 a.m.)
>
> I want to let this be done automatically by a tool.
> It should be small (not ressource consuming and absolute reliable)
> Does someone know such a utility?

I don't remeber the command exactly, but there is a pretty simple one
out there somewhere. All you need to do is put it in a BAT file, shove
it in the Windows scheduler thingy and Bob's your uncle.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

If you are using windows2003 , there is a command available called shutdown
which is in .exe which you can explore and use run the same using batch files
which can be scheduled inturn for your ease.
--
Raghavendra.S

"Paul Barasoa" wrote:

> I want to shutdown my computer at a certain time (e.g. 1:00 a.m.)
>
> I want to let this be done automatically by a tool.
> It should be small (not ressource consuming and absolute reliable)
> Does someone know such a utility?
>
> Paul

Paul Barasoa fumbled, fiddled and fingered:

> I want to shutdown my computer at a certain time (e.g. 1:00 a.m.)
>
> I want to let this be done automatically by a tool.
> It should be small (not ressource consuming and absolute reliable)
> Does someone know such a utility?
>
> Paul

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/PsShutdown.html

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

Which windows version do you have? On my computer there is a commandline
utility "shutdown.exe" that can do the shutdown.
It can be used with the task planner.