Corsair XMS DDR400 Pro VS. Transcend DDR500?

joetheelf

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2004
A friend of mine is buying a new PC. Socket 939, FSB800, dual DDR400 motherboard and an Athlon64 3500+

Which RAM would be best to buy? Corsair XMS DDR400 Pro or Transcend DDR500? He will get 2 X 512Mb.

Thanks!
jOE.

FSB800? - That's Intel marketing speak.

the CPU runs at 200mhx FSB * 2(DDR) = 400Mhz
the Corsair XMS DDR400 = 400Mhz

Unless your overclocking (increasing the FSB) the DDR500 will be useless. Also, I've never heard of "Transcend DDR500" so I'd just go with the Corsair, as this RAM will overclock ok anyway

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope, that's XP speak. His CPU runs on an 800MHz data rate HyperTransport bus to the internal memory controller, output to 2 DDR400 channels (or optionally one).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Are you overclocking? DDR500 for overclocking.

You know, Crucial Ballistix will run at the lowest timings using DDR400 speed, and medium timings using DDR500 speed, and that applies to both their PC3200 and PC4000 Ballistix modules.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

TRENDING THREADS