Commodore 32 Contest - entries now available for download

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

As I write this, the main IF-Archive seems to be down but I've put up the
contest entries on my page:

http://www.gis.net/~daveber/minform/c32.htm

Scroll to the bottom for the contest entries. There were 6 entries into the
contest and anyone can be a judge - so feel free to download and give them a
try! Judging rules are posted on the same page.

One additional judge rule that I've added relates to authors. Authors may
play the other games in the contest and provide a simple ranking
(best-worst) which will play a minor role in determining # of units sold for
the C32 holiday season. Since the authors are probably the most
enthusiastic about these minimal games, I didn't want to exclude them from
taking part in the judging process for this fun little contest. Thanks to
all of the authors for their hard work. These 6 games represent some of the
smallest Z-code games ever created.

The ZIP file you download will contain a C32.Z5 contest entry game that will
provide a randomized list of the games you should play. Ratings need to be
submitted to me by noontime December 15, 2004. Thanks and enjoy!

--
Dave Bernazzani

Dave Bernazzani wrote:
> As I write this, the main IF-Archive seems to be down

The server is still up and can be accessed through FTP,
but web access seems to have gone down. We'll try to get
it back as soon as possible. :(

David

In rec.games.int-fiction, David Kinder <d.kinder@btinternetspamnothankyou.com> wrote:
> Dave Bernazzani wrote:
> > As I write this, the main IF-Archive seems to be down
>
> The server is still up and can be accessed through FTP,
> but web access seems to have gone down. We'll try to get
> it back as soon as possible. :(

The main server is back, but unfortunately the mirror.ifarchive.org
service is gone. The recent "2004 Interactive Fiction Results"
slashdot post contained links directly to mirror.ifarchive.org, and
that server got whited out. Since that's what handles DNS for the
domain, that interfered with access to the ifarchive.org server as
well.

The mirror.ifarchive.org service was hosted by a friend as a courtesy.
He is understandably troubled by his server getting squashed. So we're
taking that mirror down. "mirror.ifarchive.org" will point to a dead
page from now on. So if you want to grab files quickly, you should
look at the list of mirrors and manually pick one near you.

We are considering various options. One is having mirror.ifarchive.org
round-robin across all our mirrors, which would be good overall but
would leave people downloading from Australia some of the time.

Another option is having money fall out of the sky, so we can get more
bandwidth on the main server. This would be about $225/month worth of
meteoritic funding, should anybody happen to notice anything like
that. (On top of what we're currently paying.)

--Z

*
I'm still thinking about what to put in this space.

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Chris contacted me and let me know that I had put an incorrect version of
Zombies into the contest archive
yesterday. After a bit of investigation, this looks to be my oversight and
so I've gone ahead and put in an updated Zombies entry into the archive.
Since the contest zip file is so small (~135K) it hopefully won't be a
problem to download again.

http://www.gis.net/~daveber/minform/c32.htm

If you've run the older Revision 3 of Zombies, please replace it with the
new version found at the website above. All other contest entries remain
unchanged.

--
Dave Bernazzani

Andrew Plotkin <erkyrath@eblong.com> wrote in message news:<colr2h$id$1@reader1.panix.com>...
> We are considering various options. One is having mirror.ifarchive.org
> round-robin across all our mirrors, which would be good overall but
> would leave people downloading from Australia some of the time.

Could you do some kind of manual round-robin until you've decided?
There are lots of sites that link to mirror.ifarchive.org only.

> Another option is having money fall out of the sky, so we can get more
> bandwidth on the main server. This would be about $225/month worth of
> meteoritic funding, should anybody happen to notice anything like
> that. (On top of what we're currently paying.)

How much disk space and banwidth does the archive currently use, and
how much bandwidth would be desirable?

/Fredrik

samwyse

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2002
Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

On or about 12/2/2004 2:05 PM, Fredrik Ramsberg did proclaim:
> Andrew Plotkin <erkyrath@eblong.com> wrote in message news:<colr2h$id$1@reader1.panix.com>...
>
>>We are considering various options. One is having mirror.ifarchive.org
>>round-robin across all our mirrors, which would be good overall but
>>would leave people downloading from Australia some of the time.
>

> Could you do some kind of manual round-robin until you've decided?
> There are lots of sites that link to mirror.ifarchive.org only.

Slashdot discussed this last January:

Throttle Apache Bandwidth Based on IP Address?

BigBlockMopar asks: "A friend of mine runs a web site which offers a
very large archive of files. He wishes to continue to offer free and
unrestricted access to his archive, but his bandwidth consumption has
been through the roof because of people using wget (and similar) to
download his entire site. Current traffic is around 200 gigabytes per
month with over 50% of that being clients who are downloading every
document on the site. The server space is donated by a hosting provider
who is understandably starting to become impatient with the traffic.
I've checked out mod_throttle and mod_bandwidth, neither appears to do
exactly what is desired. Does anyone have any suggestions?"

One of the best answers is here:
http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/01/31/204204#8150841

Archived from groups: rec.arts.int-fiction,rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

I have rigged up the mirror.ifarchive.org virtual host to
automatically redirect to one of our existing mirrors. So URLs
containing that hostname should now be working again.

The redirection chooses randomly, so we have a sort of load-balancing
going on. Well, load-sharing, at least. The list includes mirrors in
the US, Ireland, and Austria; so you may not get the best service from
the random redirector. You can always choose a mirror server by hand.

(The front page, <http://mirror.ifarchive.org/>, is not redirected,
but everything under that is. The front page and the redirection
service are currently hosted on the same machine as www.ifarchive.org,
so they won't be super-fast, but you only have to get a front page and
an HTTP redirection, and then you're talking to a different machine.)

Thanks to all the people who are donating space and bandwidth to be
Archive mirrors. If you want to join the merry crew, send mail to
tech .at. ifarchive.org. Just 2.1 gigabytes, and we can make you a
man. Or woman. Or whatever degree of ambiguity you want in between.

--Z

*
I'm still thinking about what to put in this space.