Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

[C32 Contest] "Endgame" hint request

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 8:07:11 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Hello,

after about 30 minutes without getting anywhere in the game "Endgame",
I'm asking for help:


SPOILER SPACE














I've got the chalk, the axe and the ring, but they don't seem to help:

- I've drawn another pentagram on the table, but it's no use because I
can't get on the table. (Why not?)

- I've hit the egg with the axe, but of course the demon still rises.
The demon dodges any blows

- Putting the ring on the egg works, but I can't fry the egg by saying
RING, ON - even if the egg is already broken. Wearing the ring and
'turning it on' isn't much help either. Oh, and I can heat up the
table, but what for? I can't push it or hide behind it.

Thanks for sharing your ideas :) 

Florian
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 10:23:02 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

"Florian Kalenda" <florian_kalenda@yahoo.de> wrote in message
news:a6b77c65.0412030507.4352bdc7@posting.google.com...
> Hello,
>
> after about 30 minutes without getting anywhere in the game "Endgame",
> I'm asking for help:
>
>
> SPOILER SPACE
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> I've got the chalk, the axe and the ring, but they don't seem to help:
>
> - I've drawn another pentagram on the table, but it's no use because I
> can't get on the table. (Why not?)
>
> - I've hit the egg with the axe, but of course the demon still rises.
> The demon dodges any blows
>
> - Putting the ring on the egg works, but I can't fry the egg by saying
> RING, ON - even if the egg is already broken. Wearing the ring and
> 'turning it on' isn't much help either. Oh, and I can heat up the
> table, but what for? I can't push it or hide behind it.
>
> Thanks for sharing your ideas :) 
>
> Florian

Pay close attention to what you do prior to the start of the interaction.
Why does the egg appear in the first place? Is there a reason it's
protected?

(more) (scroll down for further hint)
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
Is there a reason it re-appears right where it started? Can you think of a
way to.... un-protect it? If so, you may find a couple different ways of
moving it... one requiring no magic at all, if I recall.

---- Mike.
December 4, 2004 6:39:23 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

On or about 12/3/2004 7:07 AM, Florian Kalenda did proclaim:
> Hello,
>
> after about 30 minutes without getting anywhere in the game "Endgame",
> I'm asking for help:
>
>
> SPOILER SPACE
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> I've got the chalk, the axe and the ring, but they don't seem to help:
>
> - I've drawn another pentagram on the table, but it's no use because I
> can't get on the table. (Why not?)
>
> - I've hit the egg with the axe, but of course the demon still rises.
> The demon dodges any blows
>
> - Putting the ring on the egg works, but I can't fry the egg by saying
> RING, ON - even if the egg is already broken. Wearing the ring and
> 'turning it on' isn't much help either. Oh, and I can heat up the
> table, but what for? I can't push it or hide behind it.
>
> Thanks for sharing your ideas :) 
>
> Florian

Mike Snyder has given you some excellent hints, so all I can do is laugh
maniacally ;-) and ask if you noticed that the egg hatches quicker when
the ring is on it. But thanks for the ideas for things to do with the
table; I plan to add them to the post-comp version.
Related resources
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 9:11:35 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

(spoiler of course)

I'm wondering if I've got the right solution and my interpreter is
messing up...

take chalk
erase pentagram from floor
draw pentagram on egg
xyzzy

At this point there's an interpreter panic... shouldn't this be a
solution, though?
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 1:31:25 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

In article <1102169495.682620.259090@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
daniel_mcl@hotmail.com <daniel_mcl@hotmail.com> wrote:
>(spoiler of course)
>
>I'm wondering if I've got the right solution and my interpreter is
>messing up...

>take chalk
>erase pentagram from floor
>draw pentagram on egg
>xyzzy
>
>At this point there's an interpreter panic... shouldn't this be a
>solution, though?

Yeah, I think so -- on my interpreter this raises a VZEFH but frotz
just reports it and keeps going with a solution. I don't see a good
workaround except switching interpreters or (depending on your
interpreter) changing its strictness level.

--
Dan Shiovitz :: dbs@cs.wisc.edu :: http://www.drizzle.com/~dans
"He settled down to dictate a letter to the Consolidated Nailfile and
Eyebrow Tweezer Corporation of Scranton, Pa., which would make them
realize that life is stern and earnest and Nailfile and Eyebrow Tweezer
Corporations are not put in this world for pleasure alone." -PGW
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 4:35:50 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Is it a solution? Like, is there an ending for it? It surely can't be
the same as the "correct" solution, but then again the egg was
specifically large enough to draw a pentagram on, when the demon
wasn't... Anyway, if there's an ending for this, would somebody mind
posting it here?
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 1:50:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

<daniel_mcl@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1102239350.757790.266240@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Is it a solution? Like, is there an ending for it? It surely can't be
> the same as the "correct" solution, but then again the egg was
> specifically large enough to draw a pentagram on, when the demon
> wasn't... Anyway, if there's an ending for this, would somebody mind
> posting it here?

It's hard to know what you've done so far, without asking for more spoilers.
And I'm not sure what the policy is in regards to pre-results discussion. I
hate to post too much in the newsgroup, because I don't want to ruin the
game for everybody (even with spoiler space). From what you said, it sounds
like you've reached one of the alternate endings (the one where don't need
to deal with the demon at all).

(spoiler space)
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
You have very few pieces to work with. Have you figured out what the ring
does? Have you figured out what the table is for? Have you figured out what
you can do with the axe? Have you figured out how to get rid of your spell?
Have you put it all together?

---- Mike.
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 10:30:50 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

"Mike Snyder" <wyndo@prowler-pro.com> wrote:

>It's hard to know what you've done so far, without
>asking for more spoilers. And I'm not sure what the
>policy is in regards to pre-results discussion.

There is no restriction, though I would prefer that nobody post
ratings or reviews publicly until after the 15th. Ratings can be
submitted to me privately at anytime - I've received a fair
number of ratings submissions already which is great!

By the way, as a betatester you are still eligible to vote - even
for games you helped test (so long as you are voting on the
merits of the contest submitted game only).

>I hate to post too much in the newsgroup, because
>I don't want to ruin the game for everybody
>(even with spoiler space).

I think as long as you have a spoiler space, it's fine.
Personally, I didn't even try this "solution" with Endgame. I
went a completely different path.

--
Dave Bernazzani
The C32 Inform contest is underway!
http://www.gis.net/~daveber/minform/c32.htm
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 6:51:01 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

(spoilers, but if anyone is still reading this thread they already know
that)

I've eaten the egg and burned off all my fingers. My interpreter
asplode when I try to put the egg inside of itself, but I assume that's
the 400 point ending?

The setting is, of course, Bedquilt cave, specifically in the so-called
"Bird Room," distinguished by its travertine column.
December 6, 2004 9:06:15 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

On or about 12/5/2004 6:30 PM, Dave Bernazzani did proclaim:
> I think as long as you have a spoiler space, it's fine.
> Personally, I didn't even try this "solution" with Endgame. I
> went a completely different path.

*** SPOILERS (WELL, MORE LIKE AMUSING THINGS TO DO) ***





















First of all: yes, there are two "successful" endings, one gives you 400
points and the other 500. If you want to, you can indefinitly postpone
the end of the 500-point game by not performing the last step. This
will give you enough time to play with the ring some more. In
particular, there's something that you can do with the ring ten times,
and then your situation ever-so-slightly changes.

Also, has anyone figured out where the game is set?
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 12:37:43 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

I had already gotten the "correct" solution before I even tried this
one; I just wanted to see if the game would respond to a this, since
you can blink containers out of existance by putting them inside of
each other in zork.
December 7, 2004 5:38:33 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

On or about 12/6/2004 11:37 AM, daniel_mcl@hotmail.com did proclaim:

> I had already gotten the "correct" solution before I even tried this
> one; I just wanted to see if the game would respond to a this, since
> you can blink containers out of existance by putting them inside of
> each other in zork.

Well, if you run the game under Windows Frotz 2002 with "report errors:
never", then everything works fine. (And I'm changing my options to
"report errors: always" to avoid this in the future.) If that doesn't
work for you, I can send you a transcript of the game from that point
onwards. Or, I suppose I can fix the bug and send you a corrected copy.
I offer these because your speculations are close to what happens, but
not exactly correct.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 11:36:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Never mind, I just disassembled the bastard.
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 11:36:17 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

Never mind, I just disassembled the bastard.
!