Samsung 226BW 22" Widescreen: Opinions on Specs

dufus

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
While I was considering the 20" 206BW earlier in the week, the 226BW caught my eye. I checked it out at BestBuy and it looks great. Just want to get some outside opinions before dropping us379.99.

Specs:
22.0-inch Wide Viewable Size 0.282mm Pixel Pitch 300 cd/m2 Brightness (typical) 3000 - 1 DC Contrast Ratio (typical) 2 ms (G to G) Response Time (typical) 160 Degrees Horizontal and Vertical Viewing Angles 1680 x 1050 Native Resolution 16 - 10 Aspect Ratio Analog & Digital Interface Analog RGB, TMDS Digital Link, DVI Input Video Signal Separate H/V, Composite, SOG Sync Type 15-pin D-sub, DVI-D Input connectors

What do you say?

dufus

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2004
What's wrong with a 6-bit TN panel? Is there a better choice, in your opinion, that I could make in the 20-22" size range?

Hose

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
What's wrong with a 6-bit TN panel? Is there a better choice, in your opinion, that I could make in the 20-22" size range?

Gamers tend to care about "response time" to the exclusion of all else. TN panels are cheaper and faster than higher quality ones, but have less color fidelity and weak viewing angles.

Nearly all of the widescreens up to 22", have TN panels... they are designed for gamers.

The higher quality displays are 20-21", 1600x1200, and 24"+ @ 1920x1200.....

There are of course exceptions.

You can't have the best of "everything" in one monitor. It doesn't exist at any price. Decide what is most important to you an live with its warts.

I suppose I have a more critical critical eye than the average consumer. I tend to avoid TN panels because they simply suck in my opinion when it comes to colors, viewing angles, and they have visible image artifacts from time to time. I don't really play that many first person shoots so extremely low response times is not a major priority.

Unfortunately, you will not find a comparable 8-bit widescreen LCD at the price you are looking at. The best one would probably be the Asus PW201 20.1" widescreen which uses a P-MVA panel and costs $540.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236007

However, if you are spending that much then you might as well step up to a 24" widescreen. Specifically Acer Office Line AL2423Wdr which is the cheapest 24" widescreen LCD you can buy @ $600. Not exactly sure why it is so inexpensive. To the best of my knowledge it is an 8 bit P-MVA panel, it has better color accuarcy than a 6 bit TN panel.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009089

8 bit P-MVA and S-PVA panels are good, but not the best for color accuracy. The various IPS panels are best, assuming you can afford to pay a hell of a lot more. 8 bit LCDs also have slower response times than 6 bit panels.

Like everything else, a LCD monitor is a balance of compromise. If a 6 bit TN looks good enough, then go for it. Otherwise you need to bring more $$$ to the plate for something that's "better", but also a bit "slower".

lmimmfn

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
i just got the samsung 226bw last wednesday, im very impressed with it, games look antastic, movie playback( in FLC ) looks great and the extra resolution and real estate surfing is the biz

Its like everything, there'll always be something better out there but i much prefer this panel to my HP v19

If youre getting the samsung try and get an 'S' version planel as opposed to an outsourced 'A' version. The A version is apparently of a lesser quality than the samsung S version

Also note that the samsung 226bw doesnt have HDMI ports and only HDCP over DVI, so its not the best screen connecting an xbox 360( no 1:1 ) or for viewing HD movies off a bluray player