Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New laptop wont play wow on ultra

Last response: in Mobile Computing
November 14, 2012 3:49:29 PM

Hello all, i just purchased http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... and I love it. But i started up WoW and it was only loading 8 frames a second. Admittedly i was on my schools network but when i hit recommend settings, it lowered the settings from ultra to Fair. I know the specs of this computer are ridiculous next to what WoW requires.

Anyone have any idea why it would run on such low settings?

Thanks in advance.

Best solution

a b D Laptop
November 15, 2012 6:16:03 PM

Make sure you are not running on the intel integrated gpu by mistake. Some brands have a manual switch, but generally you would do this by making sure in your power settings you have "high performance" selected. Your computer will try and run on the integrated gpu to save battery power if you are in balanced or power saving mode for instance.

November 15, 2012 7:11:28 PM

you are absolutely correct. that was the case. thank you so much. I didnt know this computer has 2 graphics cards. Learn something new everyday i suppose. :D 
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
November 16, 2012 3:12:59 PM

lilrex said:
you are absolutely correct. that was the case. thank you so much. I didnt know this computer has 2 graphics cards. Learn something new everyday i suppose. :D 

Glad it was an easy fix, happy gaming!!
m
l
November 16, 2012 3:24:44 PM

solved
m
l
November 23, 2012 5:08:11 AM

I have a new problem, i have set the program to use the GTX GPU but when i turn the graphics to ultra i am only getting 18-24 fps. This cimputer has as much power as my full tower so i should get getting easy 50-60 fps.

Vertical sync is turned off. any ideas?
m
l
November 26, 2012 3:19:57 PM

Ive been tweaking with the nvidia manager and have set everything to use the nvidia processor but the framerate will still drop down to 8. I was reading online and someone was told to delete windows 8 and install windows 7. it appeared to help him but i am curious as to know why this would solve the problem?

Also some people on this forum and others were saying the problem could be nvidia optimus? idk how this works or how to use it. could this also be part of the problem? I am trying to find a good youtube tutorial right now.

Any advice would be great. Personally im leaning towards the windows 7downgrade.

This is the computer i have for any specs needed to help solve my problem

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a c 223 D Laptop
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 3, 2012 3:35:56 PM

Check power management, if you are running on battery, the laptop will turn down speeds to extend battery life. Also check DirectX settings, try 9 and 11 see if one of those runs better.
m
l
December 9, 2012 10:56:18 PM

Best answer selected by lilrex.
m
l
!