monkey

Distinguished
May 2, 2002

I am having some issues downloading items off the internet. I click on the
download button and I keep getting this message:
C:/DOCUME~1/JUSTIN~1/LOCALS~1/TEMP/dn1p806e.exe could not be saved because
the source file could not be read.
try again later or contact the server administrator.

Does anyone no how to fix this, I really want to be able to download
again...and am not the most computer literate person in the world. Thanks.

If you use Netscape or Mozilla check this link out
http://home.att.net/~cherokee67/ns71cantdownload.html

If not then

Try booting into Safe Mode and delete the file called "dn1p806e.exe " found
at the following location.
C:\Documents and Settings/<username>/Local Settings/Temp

You will need to substitute <username> with the Justin account name. Because
the Local Settings folder is hidden you need to enable Show all files and
folders. To do that open an explorer window and go to Tools->Folder
Options->View tab and select the option to Show hidden files and folders.

To access Safe Mode you need to restart the computer and during the very
first screen as the computer restarts keep tapping the F8 key. You soon see
a menu that gives you the option to start in Safe Mode.

A small program called MoveOnBoot can facilitate this too
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/moveonboot.html Just download it to a floppy
using another computer and then install it on yours. Once installed it
integrates into the shell. Locate the offending file and right click. Select
the option to Delete on the next boot and the file will be toast.

If you continue to have trouble you may need to do a full parasite scan.
There are trojans and dialers as well as viruses that cause problems with
internet activity. Jim Eshelman has an excellent resource here
http://aumha.org/win5/a/parasite.htm

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp