install error

When I try to install "Counter Strike" I get the message "An I/O error
occurred while installing a file. This is normally caused by bad installation
media or a corrupt installation file. <Abort><Retry> " I have nothing
else running when i try to install. Can you help?

Hi,
"POWER OUTAGE B" <POWEROUTAGEB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| When I try to install "Counter Strike" I get the message "An I/O error
| occurred while installing a file. This is normally caused by bad installation
| media or a corrupt installation file. <Abort><Retry> " I have nothing
| else running when i try to install. Can you help?

That type of error could mean the CD is corrupt... Check the CD
and the CD Player. Clean both using a Cleaning Kit, and check for
scratches on the CD. Try installing the game on another computer,
if the game installs, the culprit is probably your CD ROM drive if it
doesn't install then it's the CD, in which case you need to replace it.

Before replacing the CD, try copying it to your hard drive and then
run the setup / installation program from there. To copy the CD go
to My Computer, Right-Click the CD, Choose "Copy", then Right-
Click on your Hard Drive, Choose "Paste".

Uninstall the game using Add-Remove programs before attempting
to reinstall it. (Start / Control Panel / Add-Remove Programs).

Here are three basic troubleshooting steps which I recommend:

1. To see if it's a software conflict: Temporarily disable Startup
programs one at a time, starting with Firewall, Antivirus, and ad
blockers using: http://new.jtsoft2001.com/windows/startup.php

You can lookup what a program does before you disable it here:
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

2. Run a virus scan at: http://housecall.antivirus.com Afterwards
Download & Run Spybot from: http://security.kolla.de and/or
Adaware (www.lavasoftusa.com) to remove any Spyware/Adware.

3. Click My Computer / Rightclick the Drive & Choose Properties
/ Run the "Disk Cleanup..." / Next Click the "Tools" Tab and run
the "Error-Checking" and "Defragmentation" utilities.

If nothing including those 3 steps have resolved the problem so far,
here's more basic troubleshooting steps and information including:
The Safedisc patch
How to check CD for imperfections, and
How to Disable Virtual CD rom drives which is described at:
http://tinyurl.com/2387c (EA General Support Page) and also:

How to Troubleshoot Disc-Reading Issues
Error Messages That May Be Caused by Disc-Reading Issues
Troubleshoot Error Messages
Examine the Disc
Clean the Disc
Test the Disc in a Different Drive
Clean the Drive
Test Disc Read with Copy or Xcopy
Quit Unnecessary Software
Switch the Drive Controller to DMA Mode, and
How to Troubleshoot DVD Error Messages is available in this
MS Article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=321641

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Game FAQs: ;gms]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms