Disappearing cookies

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Once in a while my cookies disappear from my Temporary Internet Files. I have
no idea why this happens or why they eventually return either. I usually go
in each night and clear off the ones I don't need to keep, but once in a
while, they are all gone. I can still locate them in the "Cookies" folder, I
just don't understand why they come and go without any warning or reason for
that matter, from my Temporary Internet Files. Does anyone have any idea why
this oocurs? How can correct this?

Don't worry about it.

As with anything involving Temporary Internet Files, this gets confusing.

The "cookies" in the Temporary Internet Files Folder are just pointers to
the real cookies.

Real cookies are stored here >>
%homepath%\Cookies
or
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Cookies

The Delete Cookies button deletes the cookies here >>
%homepath%\Cookies
or
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Cookies

But it also deletes the pointers to the real cookies here >>
%homepath%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
or
C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files

If you manually delete a cookie file from the Temporary Internet Files
folder, both the pointer to the Cookies folder and the cookie file located
in the Cookies folder are deleted.

If you delete a cookie from the cookies folder it leaves the pointer to the
cookie behind. But it's worthless. Just like a shortcut that does not
point to anything.

To delete a cookie
1 In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
2 On the General tab, click Settings, and then click View files.
3 Select the cookie you want to delete, and then, on the File menu, click
Delete.

To delete all of the cookies on your computer, click Delete Cookies on the
General tab.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes