Dual hard drives or Raid Array?

Hi, all. I have a home-built system with a Western Digital WD1200 SATA Hard drive. I recently purchased a twin to this hard drive, and now I am wondering what to do:

1) Set up a RAID-0 array
2) Use the additional space on the new hard drive

My first hard drive is getting a bit full, so I am leaning toward option #2. I figure I can also get a minor performance gain by having my swap file and Photoshop cache on the 2nd drive.

However, I don't want to miss out if having a RAID-0 array is going to give me a huge performance benefit. I am not really concerned about having a full back-up (I do incremental back-ups of the data I am concerned about), so RAID-1 is probably not the answer for me.

Finally ... a possibly stupid question. Is it possible to have a dual-boot machine with two installations of Windows XP? I was thinking about having an installation for work (and all of the hard drive clutter that goes along with it) and another clean installation for gaming.

Edit : I've done some more googling and it seems like the real-world improvement of RAID-0 over a single hard drive is negligble, at best.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mackenson on 10/08/04 06:55 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
3 answers Last reply
More about dual hard drives raid array
  1. No raid, no double install of XP.

You don't gain much the first way, and gain nothing the second way. Hard drive "clutter" doesn't affect game performance at all.

s signature has been formatted to fit your scr
  2. RAID0 would double your space, with both drives appearing as 1 in windows. Having 2 drives would also double your space, with 2 drives appearing in windows. Of course you could always do RAID1, which doesn't give you any increased space but does provide a backup in case a drive fails.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  3. Like the two guys have said, also keep in mind as soon as you setup the raid all data will be lost on your original drive.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives NAS / RAID Storage