Since I switched to XP Pro in Jan 2003 my computer has received and installed
a total of 157 different updates courtesy of Microsoft. As much as I enjoy
the benefits of XP over earlier operating systems I do ask myself whether 157
updates is the result of ongoing development of the system or rather the
result of the lack of it prior to XP's launch in 2002. If my pc had actually
been my car I wonder how plausible ownership would have been over a 3 year
period with 157 recalls? Hmm...

Combination of discovered incompatibilities found in widespread use(bugs
not found earlier), and system changes made to prevent resource
redirection(security). A car the other hand is remarkable simple
compared to software. Of course Windows isn't going to require 15 gals
of fuel that will combust in a crash either! So perhaps a really
comparison no?

Phil.T wrote:

> Since I switched to XP Pro in Jan 2003 my computer has received and installed
> a total of 157 different updates courtesy of Microsoft. As much as I enjoy
> the benefits of XP over earlier operating systems I do ask myself whether 157
> updates is the result of ongoing development of the system or rather the
> result of the lack of it prior to XP's launch in 2002. If my pc had actually
> been my car I wonder how plausible ownership would have been over a 3 year
> period with 157 recalls? Hmm...

I agree Bob but 157 ! Got to go....busy fitting traction control and
stick-shift to my laptop at the moment. Thanks for the response...appreciated.
Driveeeeeeeeee...I mean surf safely!
Phil

"Bob I" wrote:

> Combination of discovered incompatibilities found in widespread use(bugs
> not found earlier), and system changes made to prevent resource
> redirection(security). A car the other hand is remarkable simple
> compared to software. Of course Windows isn't going to require 15 gals
> of fuel that will combust in a crash either! So perhaps a really
> comparison no?
>
> Phil.T wrote:
>
> > Since I switched to XP Pro in Jan 2003 my computer has received and installed
> > a total of 157 different updates courtesy of Microsoft. As much as I enjoy
> > the benefits of XP over earlier operating systems I do ask myself whether 157
> > updates is the result of ongoing development of the system or rather the
> > result of the lack of it prior to XP's launch in 2002. If my pc had actually
> > been my car I wonder how plausible ownership would have been over a 3 year
> > period with 157 recalls? Hmm...

Would you rather they didn't fix them?!?!? ;-)

Phil.T wrote:

> I agree Bob but 157 ! Got to go....busy fitting traction control and
> stick-shift to my laptop at the moment. Thanks for the response...appreciated.
> Driveeeeeeeeee...I mean surf safely!
> Phil
>
> "Bob I" wrote:
>

>>Combination of discovered incompatibilities found in widespread use(bugs
>>not found earlier), and system changes made to prevent resource
>>redirection(security). A car the other hand is remarkable simple
>>compared to software. Of course Windows isn't going to require 15 gals
>>of fuel that will combust in a crash either! So perhaps a really
>>comparison no?
>>
>>Phil.T wrote:
>>

>>>Since I switched to XP Pro in Jan 2003 my computer has received and installed
>>>a total of 157 different updates courtesy of Microsoft. As much as I enjoy
>>>the benefits of XP over earlier operating systems I do ask myself whether 157
>>>updates is the result of ongoing development of the system or rather the
>>>result of the lack of it prior to XP's launch in 2002. If my pc had actually
>>>been my car I wonder how plausible ownership would have been over a 3 year
>>>period with 157 recalls? Hmm...

Hell no ! But thank goodness drugs companies don't take the same stance on
field trials within the public domain. I know.....it's another poor
similarity, but development costs of any new software, especially a new
world-wide systems platform, are enormous. As a result Microsoft are under
financial pressure to launch that new software as quickly as possible onto
the retail market. I just feel that on occassions the marketing boys have a
bigger say on the launch date than the development department. Maybe if the
development guys had won the argument then updates could be minimised and the
product I paid full retail price for would have been debugged a little bit
more prior to its launch. Anyway, better stop here before Bill Gates knocks
me off his Christmas card list. It's a good product and I look forward with
anticipation to Long Horn......as long as I'm not paying for field trials. If
my Jeep gets a manufacturer's recall within the next 3 months I'll give you a
shout ! Cheers.......Phil :)

"Bob I" wrote:

> Would you rather they didn't fix them?!?!? ;-)
>
> Phil.T wrote:
>
> > I agree Bob but 157 ! Got to go....busy fitting traction control and
> > stick-shift to my laptop at the moment. Thanks for the response...appreciated.
> > Driveeeeeeeeee...I mean surf safely!
> > Phil
> >
> > "Bob I" wrote:
> >

> >>Combination of discovered incompatibilities found in widespread use(bugs
> >>not found earlier), and system changes made to prevent resource
> >>redirection(security). A car the other hand is remarkable simple
> >>compared to software. Of course Windows isn't going to require 15 gals
> >>of fuel that will combust in a crash either! So perhaps a really
> >>comparison no?

There isn't a quality program in existence that doesn't get updated to
remedy problems. Many have actually been discontinued because the problems
could not be fixed without a complete rewrite.

Then you have the programs that broke because of SP2. The authors had over a
year to bring "their" program into compliance with the new Window standards,
yet many failed to do so. Many others just said "we are not going to". A
complete rewrite may have been necessary and they didn't want to do it.

There were other companies in the above category who just introduced a "new"
(patched?) program a few months later and upgraded it's version by a
complete increment instead of a dot something upgrade. This way they could
charge you to buy the NEW version.

Quite a few end users had to retire some of their favorite programs because
of this. Fortunately, I was not one of them (-:

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

Quote from: George Ankner

"Phil.T" <PhilT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hell no ! But thank goodness drugs companies don't take the same stance
> on
> field trials within the public domain. I know.....it's another poor
> similarity, but development costs of any new software, especially a new
> world-wide systems platform, are enormous. As a result Microsoft are under
> financial pressure to launch that new software as quickly as possible onto
> the retail market. I just feel that on occassions the marketing boys have
> bigger say on the launch date than the development department. Maybe if
> the
> development guys had won the argument then updates could be minimised and
> the
> product I paid full retail price for would have been debugged a little bit
> more prior to its launch. Anyway, better stop here before Bill Gates
> knocks
> me off his Christmas card list. It's a good product and I look forward
> with
> anticipation to Long Horn......as long as I'm not paying for field trials.
> If
> my Jeep gets a manufacturer's recall within the next 3 months I'll give
> you a
> shout ! Cheers.......Phil :)
>

> "Bob I" wrote:
>
>> Would you rather they didn't fix them?!?!? ;-)
>>
>> Phil.T wrote:
>>
>> > I agree Bob but 157 ! Got to go....busy fitting traction control and
>> > stick-shift to my laptop at the moment. Thanks for the
>> > response...appreciated.
>> > Driveeeeeeeeee...I mean surf safely!
>> > Phil

I agree with Phil! Having used WIN98 for years without having too much
hassle with updates, I'm amazed every second Tuesday of the month. I know
lots of XP users who have had major problems with updates. I accept the need
for increased security but many of these updates are frankly unnecessary.

"Richard Urban" wrote:

> There isn't a quality program in existence that doesn't get updated to
> remedy problems. Many have actually been discontinued because the problems
> could not be fixed without a complete rewrite.
>
> Then you have the programs that broke because of SP2. The authors had over a
> year to bring "their" program into compliance with the new Window standards,
> yet many failed to do so. Many others just said "we are not going to". A
> complete rewrite may have been necessary and they didn't want to do it.
>
> There were other companies in the above category who just introduced a "new"
> (patched?) program a few months later and upgraded it's version by a
> complete increment instead of a dot something upgrade. This way they could
> charge you to buy the NEW version.
>
> Quite a few end users had to retire some of their favorite programs because
> of this. Fortunately, I was not one of them (-:
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "Phil.T" <PhilT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hell no ! But thank goodness drugs companies don't take the same stance
> > on
> > field trials within the public domain. I know.....it's another poor
> > similarity, but development costs of any new software, especially a new
> > world-wide systems platform, are enormous. As a result Microsoft are under
> > financial pressure to launch that new software as quickly as possible onto
> > the retail market. I just feel that on occassions the marketing boys have
> > bigger say on the launch date than the development department. Maybe if
> > the
> > development guys had won the argument then updates could be minimised and
> > the
> > product I paid full retail price for would have been debugged a little bit
> > more prior to its launch. Anyway, better stop here before Bill Gates
> > knocks
> > me off his Christmas card list. It's a good product and I look forward
> > with
> > anticipation to Long Horn......as long as I'm not paying for field trials.
> > If
> > my Jeep gets a manufacturer's recall within the next 3 months I'll give
> > you a
> > shout ! Cheers.......Phil :)
> >

> > "Bob I" wrote:
> >
> >> Would you rather they didn't fix them?!?!? ;-)

Think! What has changed on the internet since 1998 and 2005. Do you really
think that Win98 had the same magnitude of hurtful hits that Windows XP is
receiving. All you had were virus's to contend with and the AV programs took
care of them.

updates from now on.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

Quote from: George Ankner

"GeoffB in London" <GeoffBinLondon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:C5ADDD2D-9364-4A92-8C15-A0B6E4DECE13@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>> > have
>> > bigger say on the launch date than the development department. Maybe if
>> > the
>> > development guys had won the argument then updates could be minimised
>> > and
>> > the
>> > product I paid full retail price for would have been debugged a little
>> > bit
>> > more prior to its launch. Anyway, better stop here before Bill Gates
>> > knocks
>> > me off his Christmas card list. It's a good product and I look forward
>> > with
>> > anticipation to Long Horn......as long as I'm not paying for field
>> > trials.
>> > If
>> > my Jeep gets a manufacturer's recall within the next 3 months I'll give

Richard....it is not a pre-requisite for a Windows user that in the long term
you must build up sufficient technical prowess via a technical on-line forum
to enable you to use your product.......is it? My criticism of XP was that
in the first place the version of XP launched onto the retail market could
have been de-bugged far better than it actually was. If I had had wanted to
get involved with a Beta version of a new operating system I wouldn't have
expected to pay the full retail price whilst anticipating nearly 12 months of
frustration waiting for a necessary service pack to sort out the glitches.
Security vulnerabilites develop as a result of malicious users exploiting
situations which the Windows development team had failed to protect in the
first place. That as a statement is not an over simplification of the truth.
The vast majority of Windows users are not "experts" and a well developed
system, creating billions of dollars for it's makers, should never have
required the ongoing attention it has received. Windows XP is an OK
operating system.....nothing more. I hope for better things from Microsoft in
the near future.....and I'm not talking about updates !!

In news:DD9E636F-0F43-4763-B868-276149E8A2B2@microsoft.com,
Phil.T <PhilT@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> My criticism of XP was that in the first place the version of
> XP
> launched onto the retail market could have been de-bugged far
> better
> than it actually was.

In my view, *any* software product could have been "debugged far
better than it actually was." None of them is perfect and you can
always do better by having a longer testing cycle.

But it doesn't matter how long you test; you can never get *all*
the bugs out. Sooner or later every company has to stop testing
and say it's good enough. The alternative is to go out of
business because you never release anything.

I certainly don't claim XP is perfect, but in my experience, on
all of the fair number of machines I support, it's the best, most
stable, and most problem-free of any version of Windows. In fact,
my experience has been that each Windows version (with the
possible exception of Windows Me) has been better than those that
came before.

> If I had had wanted to get involved with a Beta
> version of a new operating system

That's a drastic overstatement, as far as I'm concerned. The
initial release of XP was very far from a beta version.

> I wouldn't have expected to pay the
> full retail price whilst anticipating nearly 12 months of
> frustration
> waiting for a necessary service pack to sort out the glitches.

Again, I've experienced very few glitches.

> Security vulnerabilites develop as a result of malicious users
> exploiting situations which the Windows development team had
> failed
> to protect in the first place. That as a statement is not an
> over
> simplification of the truth.

It's literally true, undeniably, but I think it is indeed an
oversimplification. If you expect anything approaching
perfection, you just don't understand the complexity and the
difficulties involved in producing any major piece of
software--*especially* an operating system.

> The vast majority of Windows users are
> not "experts" and a well developed system, creating billions of
> dollars for it's makers, should never have required the ongoing
> attention it has received. Windows XP is an OK operating
> system.....nothing more.

I couldn't disagree more. It's an excellent operating system, and
far and away the best that Microsoft has produced.

> I hope for better things from Microsoft in
> the near future.....and I'm not talking about updates !!

Each new version of Windows has generally been an improvement in
those which came before, because each new version largely builds
on previous strengths and avoids previous weaknesses. Microsoft,
like any successful company, learns by its experiences.

So in that sense, I too hope for and expect better things from
Microsoft in the future. But I don't mean that as a complaint,
the way you do.

Please reply to the newsgroup

I, along with you, hope for better things from Microsoft also. But I am
realistic enough to know that they will NOT be problem free.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

Quote from: George Ankner

"Phil.T" <PhilT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Richard....it is not a pre-requisite for a Windows user that in the long
> term
> you must build up sufficient technical prowess via a technical on-line
> forum
> to enable you to use your product.......is it? My criticism of XP was
> that
> in the first place the version of XP launched onto the retail market could
> have been de-bugged far better than it actually was. If I had had wanted
> get involved with a Beta version of a new operating system I wouldn't have
> expected to pay the full retail price whilst anticipating nearly 12 months
> of
> frustration waiting for a necessary service pack to sort out the glitches.
> Security vulnerabilites develop as a result of malicious users exploiting
> situations which the Windows development team had failed to protect in the
> first place. That as a statement is not an over simplification of the
> truth.
> The vast majority of Windows users are not "experts" and a well developed
> system, creating billions of dollars for it's makers, should never have
> required the ongoing attention it has received. Windows XP is an OK
> operating system.....nothing more. I hope for better things from Microsoft
> in
> the near future.....and I'm not talking about updates !!
>
> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
>> Think! What has changed on the internet since 1998 and 2005. Do you
>> really
>> think that Win98 had the same magnitude of hurtful hits that Windows XP
>> is
>> receiving. All you had were virus's to contend with and the AV programs
>> took
>> care of them.

>> or
>> updates from now on.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> Quote from: George Ankner
>> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>>
>> "GeoffB in London" <GeoffBinLondon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:C5ADDD2D-9364-4A92-8C15-A0B6E4DECE13@microsoft.com...
>> >I agree with Phil! Having used WIN98 for years without having too much
>> > hassle with updates, I'm amazed every second Tuesday of the month. I
>> > know
>> > lots of XP users who have had major problems with updates. I accept
>> > the
>> > need
>> > for increased security but many of these updates are frankly
>> > unnecessary.

You have never seen a FDA mandated recall on a drug.

THAT IS THE ULTIMATE PATCH! Take it off the market because it kills.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

Quote from: George Ankner

"Phil.T" <PhilT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hell no ! But thank goodness drugs companies don't take the same stance
> on
> field trials within the public domain. I know.....it's another poor
> similarity, but development costs of any new software, especially a new
> world-wide systems platform, are enormous. As a result Microsoft are under
> financial pressure to launch that new software as quickly as possible onto
> the retail market. I just feel that on occassions the marketing boys have
> bigger say on the launch date than the development department. Maybe if
> the
> development guys had won the argument then updates could be minimised and
> the
> product I paid full retail price for would have been debugged a little bit
> more prior to its launch. Anyway, better stop here before Bill Gates
> knocks
> me off his Christmas card list. It's a good product and I look forward
> with
> anticipation to Long Horn......as long as I'm not paying for field trials.
> If
> my Jeep gets a manufacturer's recall within the next 3 months I'll give
> you a
> shout ! Cheers.......Phil :)
>

> "Bob I" wrote:
>
>> Would you rather they didn't fix them?!?!? ;-)
>>
>> Phil.T wrote:
>>
>> > I agree Bob but 157 ! Got to go....busy fitting traction control and
>> > stick-shift to my laptop at the moment. Thanks for the
>> > response...appreciated.
>> > Driveeeeeeeeee...I mean surf safely!
>> > Phil

Richard and Ken.....I appreciate your contributions to my point of criticism.
I seek a level of perfection I know is not attainable within software,
particularly that freely available on the public domain. I have used
similie's to express my opion which are unfair and overly expansive but they
help to get the point across. Richard's use of the George Ankner quotation is
well chosen....but I fear it covers us all, one way or the other. There is a
lot of truth within your responses but there remains just a tinge of truth
within my criticism.

It's been a good discussion.....thanks. I shall continue to sort my Window's
problems out via these fantastic XP Newsgroups. Best regards...Phil

In news:3625A260-E122-4D4A-8978-935C9FE8225B@microsoft.com,
Phil.T <PhilT@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Richard and Ken.....I appreciate your contributions to my point
> of
> criticism.

Thanks, Phil.

> I seek a level of perfection I know is not attainable
> within software, particularly that freely available on the
> public
> domain. I have used similie's to express my opion which are
> unfair
> and overly expansive but they help to get the point across.
> Richard's
> use of the George Ankner quotation is well chosen....but I fear
> it
> covers us all, one way or the other. There is a lot of truth
> within
> your responses but there remains just a tinge of truth within
> my
> criticism.

Yes, there is some truth in your criticism. Microsoft clearly
could do better, and so could just about every other software
company. Nevertheless, I still feel that Microsoft, as well as
most others, generally *is* getting better all the time. Almost
every version of Windows has been better than its predecessor.

I think that seeking perfection is actually a good thing to do,
as long as you realize that true perfection is not possible to
achieve. But the higher you set your goals, the higher you're
likely to land.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> It's been a good discussion.....thanks. I shall continue to
> sort my
> Window's problems out via these fantastic XP Newsgroups. Best
> regards...Phil
>
> "Richard Urban" wrote:
>
>> You have never seen a FDA mandated recall on a drug.
>>
>> THAT IS THE ULTIMATE PATCH! Take it off the market because it
>> kills.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> Quote from: George Ankner
>> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you
>> knew!"
>>
>> "Phil.T" <PhilT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hell no ! But thank goodness drugs companies don't take
>>> the same
>>> stance on
>>> field trials within the public domain. I know.....it's
>>> another poor
>>> similarity, but development costs of any new software,
>>> especially a
>>> new world-wide systems platform, are enormous. As a result
>>> Microsoft are under financial pressure to launch that new
>>> software
>>> as quickly as possible onto the retail market. I just feel
>>> that on
>>> occassions the marketing boys have a
>>> bigger say on the launch date than the development
>>> department.
>>> Maybe if the
>>> development guys had won the argument then updates could be
>>> minimised and the
>>> product I paid full retail price for would have been debugged
>>> little bit more prior to its launch. Anyway, better stop here
>>> before Bill Gates knocks
>>> me off his Christmas card list. It's a good product and I
>>> look
>>> forward with
>>> anticipation to Long Horn......as long as I'm not paying for
>>> field
>>> trials. If
>>> my Jeep gets a manufacturer's recall within the next 3 months
>>> I'll
>>> give you a
>>> shout ! Cheers.......Phil :)

Cerebrex, Vioxx ring a bell?

Phil.T wrote:

> Hell no ! But thank goodness drugs companies don't take the same stance on
> field trials within the public domain. I know.....it's another poor
> similarity, but development costs of any new software, especially a new
> world-wide systems platform, are enormous. As a result Microsoft are under
> financial pressure to launch that new software as quickly as possible onto
> the retail market. I just feel that on occassions the marketing boys have a
> bigger say on the launch date than the development department. Maybe if the
> development guys had won the argument then updates could be minimised and the
> product I paid full retail price for would have been debugged a little bit
> more prior to its launch. Anyway, better stop here before Bill Gates knocks
> me off his Christmas card list. It's a good product and I look forward with
> anticipation to Long Horn......as long as I'm not paying for field trials. If
> my Jeep gets a manufacturer's recall within the next 3 months I'll give you a
> shout ! Cheers.......Phil :)
>

> "Bob I" wrote:
>

>>Would you rather they didn't fix them?!?!? ;-)
>>
>>Phil.T wrote:
>>

>>>I agree Bob but 157 ! Got to go....busy fitting traction control and
>>>stick-shift to my laptop at the moment. Thanks for the response...appreciated.
>>>Driveeeeeeeeee...I mean surf safely!
>>>Phil

It has to ring a bell as I am blind from Viagra! (-:

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

> Cerebrex, Vioxx ring a bell?
>
> Phil.T wrote:
>
>> Hell no ! But thank goodness drugs companies don't take the same
>> stance on field trials within the public domain. I know.....it's another
>> poor similarity, but development costs of any new software, especially a
>> new world-wide systems platform, are enormous. As a result Microsoft are
>> under financial pressure to launch that new software as quickly as
>> possible onto the retail market. I just feel that on occassions the
>> marketing boys have a bigger say on the launch date than the development
>> department. Maybe if the development guys had won the argument then
>> updates could be minimised and the product I paid full retail price for
>> would have been debugged a little bit more prior to its launch. Anyway,
>> better stop here before Bill Gates knocks me off his Christmas card list.
>> It's a good product and I look forward with anticipation to Long
>> Horn......as long as I'm not paying for field trials. If my Jeep gets a
>> manufacturer's recall within the next 3 months I'll give you a shout !
>> Cheers.......Phil :)
>>

>> "Bob I" wrote:
>>

>>>Would you rather they didn't fix them?!?!? ;-)

You gotta wonder sometimes about the "pill for everything" mentality.

Richard Urban [MVP] wrote:

> It has to ring a bell as I am blind from Viagra! (-:

I'd rather have a pill for a "Sharper Mind" than the Old Age
Rebar variety. One for failing Eyesight would be handy also.

> You gotta wonder sometimes about the "pill for everything" mentality.
>
> Richard Urban [MVP] wrote:
>
>> It has to ring a bell as I am blind from Viagra! (-:

Ed

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 08:21:01 -0500, Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote:

>You gotta wonder sometimes about the "pill for everything" mentality.
>> It has to ring a bell as I am blind from Viagra! (-:

Did you hear that they finally caught Bin Laden? They flew a B-52
over Afghanistan and dropped Viagra.

Next thing they knew, he POPPED right up.....

That's a good one. :)