i have set my performance settings to "best performance" which turns all
optional settings off; this is how i like it, however lately upon boot up, i
am noticing XP is reverting to turning some options back on, mainly the last
option listed "use visual styles on windows and buttons" so when i log on, i
see a blue colored bar on my taskbar as well as blue shaded bars on all
windows. its becoming very annoying and yes, only I have access to this PC;

any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thnx in advance.

What do you have set for...

Right click Desktop | Properties | Appearance tab |
Windows and buttons

Windows XP Style?

I think that the Themes service in combination with the setting on the
Appearance tab may be selecting Windows and buttons in Performance Settings.

Themes service
http://web.archive.org/web/20041128020314/www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm

http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/winnt/service/stuv.html#THEMES

--