IBM a/b/g and MN-700

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Just got a IBM T40 with an A/b/g mini PCI card in it. Can
get the system to work if the laptop is within 2 feet of
the MN-700, but the signal stength is really low. If I
move it to about 10 feet I lose signal strength. Any ideas
how I can solve this? I have tried changing the channel on
the router, which makes no difference (although I haven't
tried them all).

Have been looking for a place to set the channel on the
card config, but can't seem to find any? When I change the
channel on the router it seems to automatically switch to
the correct channel??

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Assuming you are using Windows XP, don't use any of the supplied IBM
software/access connections. Also, are you using WEP or WPA?

I saw a while ago that IBM advises using their software and not XP to
configure the wireless. I've ignored this completely (T40p) and have
always been able to connect.

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 23:29:39 -0700, "Steve"

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Hi Barb:

I have disabled and uninstalled IBM Access Connections before I wrote the
posting :) The wireless connection does seem to be weird through Microsoft,
as it tells me that wireless connections are available, I try to connect and
nothing happens. It then tells me that again, I try to connect, and sometime
it does, and sometimes not. Usually by the third time it works, or I have to
"refresh" in the Network Connections tab for the wireless card.

Have been using WPA, and flipped it over to WEP. but that did not seem to
improve the signal strength :-( That is what I am most concerned with, as it
makes no sense to have wireless if you cannot walk more than 10 feet from
the router.

Any other suggestions?

Steve Bestvater

"Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]" <barb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Assuming you are using Windows XP, don't use any of the supplied IBM
> software/access connections. Also, are you using WEP or WPA?
>
> I saw a while ago that IBM advises using their software and not XP to
> configure the wireless. I've ignored this completely (T40p) and have
> always been able to connect.
>
> On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 23:29:39 -0700, "Steve"
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Just got a IBM T40 with an A/b/g mini PCI card in it. Can
> >get the system to work if the laptop is within 2 feet of
> >the MN-700, but the signal stength is really low. If I
> >move it to about 10 feet I lose signal strength. Any ideas
> >how I can solve this? I have tried changing the channel on
> >the router, which makes no difference (although I haven't
> >tried them all).
> >
> >Have been looking for a place to set the channel on the
> >card config, but can't seem to find any? When I change the
> >channel on the router it seems to automatically switch to
> >the correct channel??
> >
> >Thanks in advance.
> >
> >Steve
>
> --
> Barb Bowman
> Expert Zone Columnist
> MS-MVP (Windows)

what version driver/firmware do you have for the embedded wireless?
have you checked to see if there is an update? can you connect
elsewhere to wireless with no problems ?

are there any other wireless networks nearby? cordless phones?
microwave ovens?

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Hi Barb:

Updated all the drivers for the embedded wireless. The wireless worked at
two different locations, but only within 4 feet of the router.

Sent it in to IBM and they are going to replace the wireless card. Hoping
that will fix the problem.

Thanks,

Steve Bestvater
e. steve@cuttingedgecurbs.com
w. http://www.cuttingedgecurbs.com

> what version driver/firmware do you have for the embedded wireless?
> have you checked to see if there is an update? can you connect
> elsewhere to wireless with no problems ?
>
> are there any other wireless networks nearby? cordless phones?
> microwave ovens?

TRENDING THREADS