Sign in with
Your question

setting admin rights in xp???

Tags:
  • LAN
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
July 10, 2002 5:28:41 AM

ok.... i had to install xp on my "ex-98" system. i have a small lan and everytime i try to install something, i get a message saying i dont have the rights. i went in to manage and users etc and renamed the admin account but when i log onto the network i still cant install stuff. i guess in a local admin, but how do i set admin rights over the network? i never had this problem before...

....the birds seemed to be calling him, thought caw....

More about : setting admin rights

July 10, 2002 12:38:20 PM

you don't have a problems when you're logged onto the macine locally, only when you're accessing it remotely? How are you remotely trying to install something?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
July 10, 2002 4:57:33 PM

no, im fine when i log on to the machine. if i log on to the network, i cant do anything. not remotely, its the same machine, just that i select the domain rather than the machine.

....the birds seemed to be calling him, thought caw....<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tdean on 07/10/02 12:58 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Related resources
July 11, 2002 10:16:57 AM

oh, I see. You'll have to give your domain account admin right on that machine via the PDC domain user management utility. You need domain admin privs to do that.

July 11, 2002 11:06:18 AM

hmmm.... does that mean a server upgrade? b/c i have admin rights on my nt server.... like i said, i never had this prob with 98.....

July 11, 2002 1:00:37 PM

I'm a little confused. Can you explain what your LAN looks like with respect to the domain, plus which domain usernames you're logging into to accomplish the tasks? That might help.

July 11, 2002 4:10:43 PM

oh ok..... well, theres just one domain (boston). i added the xp machine to it and renamed the admin acount to tdean, which on the nt server, is the admin account. hmmm... is that enought info? there are 5 computers, all part of the "boston" domain.

July 12, 2002 1:24:48 AM

I've never renamed an admin account before. Instead I would have just given tdean admin privs. The XP box is the the one in question? The NT box is the PDC? Which domain account is having priv problems, tdean on the XP box?

July 12, 2002 1:46:17 AM

yes, the xp box is the one in question. the nt server is the pdc. and the account with problems is tdean when i log onto the boston domain on the xp box. i have no problems when i log on locally with the same tdean acct on the same xp box.

July 15, 2002 9:11:53 PM

is tdean an admin on the domain or just on the xp box. You need to be logged in as admin of the domain to be able to make changes on a station that's hooked to a domain.
Try using the default admin account (administrator) from the NT pdc to log on the xp box.

Misu
__'_
July 15, 2002 9:50:41 PM

tdean is the nt admin account name. i am logged in as admin of the domain. still not working. grrrr.

July 16, 2002 5:51:38 PM

do you have an 'administrator' account on the PDC NT box? use that one. Users can have admin rights on the domain but this doesn't help. It happened to me.

Misu
__'_
!