Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Jumpy Mouse Cursor - Win XPPro

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 6:09:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Every now and then, my mouse cursor has been frozen on screen
momentarily. The cursor jumps around and is generally uncontrollable.
I have run Spyware scans numerous times (using Spy Sweeper, Ad-Aware and
Spybot) which generally come up empty. (Sometimes, there a few items
caught, which I promptly remove). Norton Anti-Virus also comes up
empty. Unfortunately the problem continues, even after these scans.

C-A-D indicates no programs running in the background, yet the cable
modem data light blinks like mad during these periods. Although I don't
use XP's built-in firewall, I do use a D-Link router as a firewall.

The mouse I'm using is a Logitech cordless mouse and a Logitech cordless
keyboard.

Can anyone help me out with analyzing what the problem is, and provide a
possible solution?

Thanks!
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 6:09:33 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Every once in while you need to remove the ball in the mouse and clean out
the chamber.
All kinds of trash accumulate on the pivot pins and lens window.


<BRH> wrote in message news:gJ-dnedA1dYYXVPfRVn-3w@comcast.com...
> Every now and then, my mouse cursor has been frozen on screen momentarily.
> The cursor jumps around and is generally uncontrollable. I have run
> Spyware scans numerous times (using Spy Sweeper, Ad-Aware and Spybot)
> which generally come up empty. (Sometimes, there a few items caught,
> which I promptly remove). Norton Anti-Virus also comes up empty.
> Unfortunately the problem continues, even after these scans.
>
Thanks!
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 6:09:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I'm pretty sure Logitech only makes wireless mice that are optical.

There's no ball in a wireless optical mouse Dude....................
--
That's just like my opinion, Man........


"Squire" wrote:

> Every once in while you need to remove the ball in the mouse and clean out
> the chamber.
> All kinds of trash accumulate on the pivot pins and lens window.
>
>
> <BRH> wrote in message news:gJ-dnedA1dYYXVPfRVn-3w@comcast.com...
> > Every now and then, my mouse cursor has been frozen on screen momentarily.
> > The cursor jumps around and is generally uncontrollable. I have run
> > Spyware scans numerous times (using Spy Sweeper, Ad-Aware and Spybot)
> > which generally come up empty. (Sometimes, there a few items caught,
> > which I promptly remove). Norton Anti-Virus also comes up empty.
> > Unfortunately the problem continues, even after these scans.
> >
> Thanks!
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 6:18:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

BRH wrote:

> Every now and then, my mouse cursor has been frozen on screen
> momentarily. The cursor jumps around and is generally uncontrollable. I
> have run Spyware scans numerous times (using Spy Sweeper, Ad-Aware and
> Spybot) which generally come up empty. (Sometimes, there a few items
> caught, which I promptly remove). Norton Anti-Virus also comes up
> empty. Unfortunately the problem continues, even after these scans.
>
> C-A-D indicates no programs running in the background, yet the cable
> modem data light blinks like mad during these periods. Although I don't
> use XP's built-in firewall, I do use a D-Link router as a firewall.
>
> The mouse I'm using is a Logitech cordless mouse and a Logitech cordless
> keyboard.
>
> Can anyone help me out with analyzing what the problem is, and provide a
> possible solution?
>
> Thanks!

Neglected to add other symptoms:

1. I often have to click numerous times for it to "take".
2. Sometimes, when I click on a newsgroup message, the mouse cursor
changes to a circle with a slash thru it. Hitting "Escape" clears this.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
July 8, 2005 6:18:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You might try installing drivers for the specific mouse/keyboard you are
using. Also, check and make sure your batteries are not running low. I've had
troubles in the past with my Logitech wireless mouse when the batteries would
start getting low.
One other thing, I have seen optical mice act erradically when used on a
mouse pad with lots of different / conflicting colors and patterns. They
shouldn't do this, but I have experienced it a few times before. So you may
try switching to a solid color mouse pad.
Hope maybe one of these helps! Good luck!

"BRH" wrote:

> BRH wrote:
>
> > Every now and then, my mouse cursor has been frozen on screen
> > momentarily. The cursor jumps around and is generally uncontrollable. I
> > have run Spyware scans numerous times (using Spy Sweeper, Ad-Aware and
> > Spybot) which generally come up empty. (Sometimes, there a few items
> > caught, which I promptly remove). Norton Anti-Virus also comes up
> > empty. Unfortunately the problem continues, even after these scans.
> >
> > C-A-D indicates no programs running in the background, yet the cable
> > modem data light blinks like mad during these periods. Although I don't
> > use XP's built-in firewall, I do use a D-Link router as a firewall.
> >
> > The mouse I'm using is a Logitech cordless mouse and a Logitech cordless
> > keyboard.
> >
> > Can anyone help me out with analyzing what the problem is, and provide a
> > possible solution?
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> Neglected to add other symptoms:
>
> 1. I often have to click numerous times for it to "take".
> 2. Sometimes, when I click on a newsgroup message, the mouse cursor
> changes to a circle with a slash thru it. Hitting "Escape" clears this.
>
> Any thoughts would be appreciated.
>
>
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 8:33:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Logitech mice, when used on a USB port/channel can experience
erratic pointer movement. Unfortunately, the only practical answer
I've found is move the mouse to the PS2 connection. I have one of
their MX-1000 Laser units and it had some issues on a USB-2
until I moved it to PS2 and upped the mouse sample rate. You can
also have this issue with "Fast Initialization" enabled.

If you are using Mouseware, you'd be better off uninstalling that &
installing their new SetPoint mouse control package.

Most recent SetPoint package available here:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/downloads/software/US...

"uggabugga" <uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D EDD0E40-5D6B-40C5-83FA-993C3E1A01C7@microsoft.com...
> I'm pretty sure Logitech only makes wireless mice that are optical.
>
> There's no ball in a wireless optical mouse Dude....................
> --
> That's just like my opinion, Man........
>
>
> "Squire" wrote:
>
>> Every once in while you need to remove the ball in the mouse and clean
>> out
>> the chamber.
>> All kinds of trash accumulate on the pivot pins and lens window.
>>
>>
>> <BRH> wrote in message news:gJ-dnedA1dYYXVPfRVn-3w@comcast.com...
>> > Every now and then, my mouse cursor has been frozen on screen
>> > momentarily.
>> > The cursor jumps around and is generally uncontrollable. I have run
>> > Spyware scans numerous times (using Spy Sweeper, Ad-Aware and Spybot)
>> > which generally come up empty. (Sometimes, there a few items caught,
>> > which I promptly remove). Norton Anti-Virus also comes up empty.
>> > Unfortunately the problem continues, even after these scans.
>> >
>> Thanks!
>>
>>
>>
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 8:45:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Wireless mouses aren't suitable for use near computers. Bizarre I know as they are useless without a computer. Monitors, speakers, CPUs interfere with them. Try a different frequency (look in the manual to see how).

They don't mind conflicting patterns as such. They hate red and clear and also micro patterns and no patterns at all.

In short wireless optical mouses are junk and I hate mine.

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
=================================================
"brianb" <brianb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:686D89A7-ABD5-4406-8F26-5DFB7432AD58@microsoft.com...
> You might try installing drivers for the specific mouse/keyboard you are
> using. Also, check and make sure your batteries are not running low. I've had
> troubles in the past with my Logitech wireless mouse when the batteries would
> start getting low.
> One other thing, I have seen optical mice act erradically when used on a
> mouse pad with lots of different / conflicting colors and patterns. They
> shouldn't do this, but I have experienced it a few times before. So you may
> try switching to a solid color mouse pad.
> Hope maybe one of these helps! Good luck!
>
> "BRH" wrote:
>
>> BRH wrote:
>>
>> > Every now and then, my mouse cursor has been frozen on screen
>> > momentarily. The cursor jumps around and is generally uncontrollable. I
>> > have run Spyware scans numerous times (using Spy Sweeper, Ad-Aware and
>> > Spybot) which generally come up empty. (Sometimes, there a few items
>> > caught, which I promptly remove). Norton Anti-Virus also comes up
>> > empty. Unfortunately the problem continues, even after these scans.
>> >
>> > C-A-D indicates no programs running in the background, yet the cable
>> > modem data light blinks like mad during these periods. Although I don't
>> > use XP's built-in firewall, I do use a D-Link router as a firewall.
>> >
>> > The mouse I'm using is a Logitech cordless mouse and a Logitech cordless
>> > keyboard.
>> >
>> > Can anyone help me out with analyzing what the problem is, and provide a
>> > possible solution?
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>>
>> Neglected to add other symptoms:
>>
>> 1. I often have to click numerous times for it to "take".
>> 2. Sometimes, when I click on a newsgroup message, the mouse cursor
>> changes to a circle with a slash thru it. Hitting "Escape" clears this.
>>
>> Any thoughts would be appreciated.
>>
>>
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 3:15:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Right on the mark! I also have to use the MX 1000 Laser Mouse with a PS2 adapter. The
only other problem that I have encountered using the MX 1000 is with the news reader
AGENT. It causes AGENT to crash now and again, which Forté claims is a known problem, but
has never fixed. Aside from that, the MX 1000 is the best mouse that I have ever used.
It is precise, wireless, never needs batteries, and runs for about two weeks between
charges on the charging stand.
--

T.C.
t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
Remove [NoSpam] to reply



"R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
news:#JQCHx$gFHA.3912@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Logitech mice, when used on a USB port/channel can experience
> erratic pointer movement. Unfortunately, the only practical answer
> I've found is move the mouse to the PS2 connection. I have one of
> their MX-1000 Laser units and it had some issues on a USB-2
> until I moved it to PS2 and upped the mouse sample rate. You can
> also have this issue with "Fast Initialization" enabled.
>
> If you are using Mouseware, you'd be better off uninstalling that &
> installing their new SetPoint mouse control package.
>
> Most recent SetPoint package available here:
> http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/downloads/software/US...
>
> "uggabugga" <uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:D EDD0E40-5D6B-40C5-83FA-993C3E1A01C7@microsoft.com...
> > I'm pretty sure Logitech only makes wireless mice that are optical.
> >
> > There's no ball in a wireless optical mouse Dude....................
> > --
> > That's just like my opinion, Man........
> >
> >
> > "Squire" wrote:
> >
> >> Every once in while you need to remove the ball in the mouse and clean
> >> out
> >> the chamber.
> >> All kinds of trash accumulate on the pivot pins and lens window.
> >>
> >>
> >> <BRH> wrote in message news:gJ-dnedA1dYYXVPfRVn-3w@comcast.com...
> >> > Every now and then, my mouse cursor has been frozen on screen
> >> > momentarily.
> >> > The cursor jumps around and is generally uncontrollable. I have run
> >> > Spyware scans numerous times (using Spy Sweeper, Ad-Aware and Spybot)
> >> > which generally come up empty. (Sometimes, there a few items caught,
> >> > which I promptly remove). Norton Anti-Virus also comes up empty.
> >> > Unfortunately the problem continues, even after these scans.
> >> >
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >>
> >>
>
>
!