When will we see more 10K rpm drives Serial ATA?

jflongo

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
I've been thinking of throwing in a Raptor 74GB Drive as my main drive, and using my 80GB SATA Drive as a backup along with my 80GB ATA Drive. Right now my 80GB SATA is my main and the ATA is my backup.

The prices on the Raptor Drives are starting to get pretty good. I'm just curious when Maxtor, Seagate, and others will have SATA 10K RPM Drives out. I tried doing a search on "10000" and "10K", but didn't come up with anything, so decided to post.

Thanks, James

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Why in the world do you need 10k drives? Do you know how many noises it makes afta a while? 7.2k does the job well.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I remember people saying that about 5800RPM drives back in the 4500RPM days...

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

jflongo

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
Why in the world would I want something like that? You ask...

Well in a couple of months a new game is coming out that I want. Having a faster hard drive, will speed this up a little as well, when you are going in and out of zones. The access rate on the 74GB drive is noted 50% faster that what I have now.

Western Digital 80GB SATA - Average Seek Time: 8.9 ms
Western Digital Raptor 74G - Average Seek Time: 4.5 ms

If it truly is loud, then i'm not interested, but I hear tons of people sayings it's not any louder than a regular drive.

RichPLS

Champion
My Raptor is no louder than Maxtror 250gb 7200rpm drives...

The reason that there are not more, especially 15k drives, is that there is not enough money in SATA drives yet.
SCSI has always been associated with quality, and the fastest, while PATA has been the economical choice, and not the fastest or most reliable.

lb19984

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2003
I think they are gonna first make 16mb buffers then there might be a jump to 10,000

<A HREF="http://www.freewebs.com/lb19984/" target="_new">My Rog</A>

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
They probably won't. The reason WD is making enterprise class SATA drives is because it doesn't have an enterprise class arm to it's disk drive buisness and so wants to find a way to get market share in that sector. All the other manufacturers make SCSI enterprise class drives and are therefore less inclined to invest in making enterprise class SATA drives to compete with their own SCSI products. Maybe in the future the 10K SATA market will be so large that other manufacturers won't be able to help but get in on it. But until you see the likes of Dell sticking them in their PCs it probably isn't going to happen. The market trend is towards larger drives for all those movies and games end users need on their hard disk, which also happen to be faster, and with larger amounts of cache.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

RichPLS

Champion
Dell already does sell the Raptor in their PC's.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The reason I asked because I can get SCSI setup for almost same price as those Raptors and have more horse power that way, so why bother, kapish?

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, "tons of people" was saying the same about WD SE drives, so I got one 180Gz, it is in an external box right now, out of my hearing range behind the desk, so I am not bothered with it's squealing.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you look around long and hard you can usually find 15k RPM SCSI drives around 36GB for around $20. These are 5 year drives and normally retired after 3 years. If you had a RAID 5 or 50, you'd be able to get the redundancy you need to make used drives a viable option.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Why in the world do you need 10k drives? Do you know how many noises it makes afta a while? 7.2k does the job well.
The reason I asked because I can get SCSI setup for almost same price as those Raptors and have more horse power that way, so why bother, kapish?
Dude, one mintue your claiming 10K raptors are too noisy and the next minute you're suggesting using some crappy old 10K SCSI drives. NOTHING beats the WD740GD for desktop and workstation performance/$. Yes that includes crappy old 10K SCSI drives and most of the newer ones. And there is no such thing as a 'quiet' SCSI drive. If you're building an SQL fileserver database or a 100K hit/day webserver yes, SCSI is totally the way to go, but your not, so in a workstation just forget SCSI. Unless you just wanna have some fun playing around with it of course.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Dude, you got it right to the bottem of zee lake, IF I wanted to have a noisy system, I would go with SCSI any day over any SATA, no matter how much faster it might be (based on claims of coarse;)

And about "NOTHING".. I don't see any SATA beat SCSI setup even in desktop, if you want to compare take same year models, don't compare new tech stuff to the old one, that's called "overly smart ars" that you are.