A weird event id: 4609 and a unlikely solution

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

All began with a red x in the event viewer with this data:
Event ID:4609 with HRESULT C0000005 in line 44 of
d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp.
I did know that in my D: drive there was no directory called QXP_SLP and it
appeared every time in the startup. Refreshed the local policies in Create
Global Policies and Impersonate a client after authentication (removing and
then adding SERVICE account) , making the Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Properties log on in Local System Account, and even was beguinning to
consider a Repair Install, (until i discovered that to put the system top
notch , I would have to download 120 patches) But, then , decided to dust the
computer , after that the computer freezed at startup. So, went to the BIOS
and shorted the memory (Some computers, when you add a card or a device and
freezed, can erase the memory where the devices are stored) restarted , and
the ethernet card didn´t appeared. But, there is no event 4609 in the event
viewer. So, the ethernet card was dying and in its last rattles was making
events 4609. Well, a new ethernet card, then.
4 answers Last reply
More about weird event 4609 solution
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    "So, went to the BIOS
    and shorted the memory (Some computers, when you add a card or a device and
    freezed, can erase the memory where the devices are stored)"

    If I were you, I wouldn't try that too much. It can cause very bad things to
    happen to a PC. (Assuming that you were adding a card when the PC was powered
    on)

    "Eidolon" wrote:

    > All began with a red x in the event viewer with this data:
    > Event ID:4609 with HRESULT C0000005 in line 44 of
    > d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp.
    > I did know that in my D: drive there was no directory called QXP_SLP and it
    > appeared every time in the startup. Refreshed the local policies in Create
    > Global Policies and Impersonate a client after authentication (removing and
    > then adding SERVICE account) , making the Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    > Properties log on in Local System Account, and even was beguinning to
    > consider a Repair Install, (until i discovered that to put the system top
    > notch , I would have to download 120 patches) But, then , decided to dust the
    > computer , after that the computer freezed at startup. So, went to the BIOS
    > and shorted the memory (Some computers, when you add a card or a device and
    > freezed, can erase the memory where the devices are stored) restarted , and
    > the ethernet card didn´t appeared. But, there is no event 4609 in the event
    > viewer. So, the ethernet card was dying and in its last rattles was making
    > events 4609. Well, a new ethernet card, then.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I think he meant that he reset the BIOS when he said shorted. I have done it
    many times and have never had a problem. That's why they put the jumper there
    in the first place.
    --
    That's just like my opinion, Man........

    "brianb" wrote:

    > "So, went to the BIOS
    > and shorted the memory (Some computers, when you add a card or a device and
    > freezed, can erase the memory where the devices are stored)"
    >
    > If I were you, I wouldn't try that too much. It can cause very bad things to
    > happen to a PC. (Assuming that you were adding a card when the PC was powered
    > on)
    >

    > "Eidolon" wrote:
    >
    > > All began with a red x in the event viewer with this data:
    > > Event ID:4609 with HRESULT C0000005 in line 44 of
    > > d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp.
    > > I did know that in my D: drive there was no directory called QXP_SLP and it
    > > appeared every time in the startup. Refreshed the local policies in Create
    > > Global Policies and Impersonate a client after authentication (removing and
    > > then adding SERVICE account) , making the Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    > > Properties log on in Local System Account, and even was beguinning to
    > > consider a Repair Install, (until i discovered that to put the system top
    > > notch , I would have to download 120 patches) But, then , decided to dust the
    > > computer , after that the computer freezed at startup. So, went to the BIOS
    > > and shorted the memory (Some computers, when you add a card or a device and
    > > freezed, can erase the memory where the devices are stored) restarted , and
    > > the ethernet card didn´t appeared. But, there is no event 4609 in the event
    > > viewer. So, the ethernet card was dying and in its last rattles was making
    > > events 4609. Well, a new ethernet card, then.
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Ok, if he was talking about the jumper, then that is fine. I was thinking he
    was shorting with a pci/agp/isa card or something. It's still not good if he
    shorts with the jumper while the power is on.

    "uggabugga" wrote:

    > I think he meant that he reset the BIOS when he said shorted. I have done it
    > many times and have never had a problem. That's why they put the jumper there
    > in the first place.
    > --
    > That's just like my opinion, Man........
    >

    > "brianb" wrote:
    >
    > > "So, went to the BIOS
    > > and shorted the memory (Some computers, when you add a card or a device and
    > > freezed, can erase the memory where the devices are stored)"
    > >
    > > If I were you, I wouldn't try that too much. It can cause very bad things to
    > > happen to a PC. (Assuming that you were adding a card when the PC was powered
    > > on)
    > >

    > > "Eidolon" wrote:
    > >
    > > > All began with a red x in the event viewer with this data:
    > > > Event ID:4609 with HRESULT C0000005 in line 44 of
    > > > d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp.
    > > > I did know that in my D: drive there was no directory called QXP_SLP and it
    > > > appeared every time in the startup. Refreshed the local policies in Create
    > > > Global Policies and Impersonate a client after authentication (removing and
    > > > then adding SERVICE account) , making the Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
    > > > Properties log on in Local System Account, and even was beguinning to
    > > > consider a Repair Install, (until i discovered that to put the system top
    > > > notch , I would have to download 120 patches) But, then , decided to dust the
    > > > computer , after that the computer freezed at startup. So, went to the BIOS
    > > > and shorted the memory (Some computers, when you add a card or a device and
    > > > freezed, can erase the memory where the devices are stored) restarted , and
    > > > the ethernet card didn´t appeared. But, there is no event 4609 in the event
    > > > viewer. So, the ethernet card was dying and in its last rattles was making
    > > > events 4609. Well, a new ethernet card, then.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Not unless you want to zap the board.
    --

    "brianb" wrote:

    > Ok, if he was talking about the jumper, then that is fine. I was thinking he
    > was shorting with a pci/agp/isa card or something. It's still not good if he
    > shorts with the jumper while the power is on.
    >
    > "uggabugga" wrote:
    >
    > > I think he meant that he reset the BIOS when he said shorted. I have done it
    > > many times and have never had a problem. That's why they put the jumper there
    > > in the first place.
    > > --
    > > That's just like my opinion, Man........
    > >

    > > "brianb" wrote:
    > >
    > > > "So, went to the BIOS
    > > > and shorted the memory (Some computers, when you add a card or a device and
    > > > freezed, can erase the memory where the devices are stored)"
    > > >
    > > > If I were you, I wouldn't try that too much. It can cause very bad things to
    > > > happen to a PC. (Assuming that you were adding a card when the PC was powered
    > > > on)

Microsoft Event Id Windows XP