A weird event id: 4609 and a unlikely solution

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

All began with a red x in the event viewer with this data:
Event ID:4609 with HRESULT C0000005 in line 44 of
d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp.
I did know that in my D: drive there was no directory called QXP_SLP and it
appeared every time in the startup. Refreshed the local policies in Create
Global Policies and Impersonate a client after authentication (removing and
then adding SERVICE account) , making the Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Properties log on in Local System Account, and even was beguinning to
consider a Repair Install, (until i discovered that to put the system top
notch , I would have to download 120 patches) But, then , decided to dust the
computer , after that the computer freezed at startup. So, went to the BIOS
and shorted the memory (Some computers, when you add a card or a device and
freezed, can erase the memory where the devices are stored) restarted , and
the ethernet card didn´t appeared. But, there is no event 4609 in the event
viewer. So, the ethernet card was dying and in its last rattles was making
events 4609. Well, a new ethernet card, then.

brianb

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"So, went to the BIOS
and shorted the memory (Some computers, when you add a card or a device and
freezed, can erase the memory where the devices are stored)"

If I were you, I wouldn't try that too much. It can cause very bad things to
happen to a PC. (Assuming that you were adding a card when the PC was powered
on)

"Eidolon" wrote:

> All began with a red x in the event viewer with this data:
> Event ID:4609 with HRESULT C0000005 in line 44 of
> d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp.
> I did know that in my D: drive there was no directory called QXP_SLP and it
> appeared every time in the startup. Refreshed the local policies in Create
> Global Policies and Impersonate a client after authentication (removing and
> then adding SERVICE account) , making the Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
> Properties log on in Local System Account, and even was beguinning to
> consider a Repair Install, (until i discovered that to put the system top
> notch , I would have to download 120 patches) But, then , decided to dust the
> computer , after that the computer freezed at startup. So, went to the BIOS
> and shorted the memory (Some computers, when you add a card or a device and
> freezed, can erase the memory where the devices are stored) restarted , and
> the ethernet card didn´t appeared. But, there is no event 4609 in the event
> viewer. So, the ethernet card was dying and in its last rattles was making
> events 4609. Well, a new ethernet card, then.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I think he meant that he reset the BIOS when he said shorted. I have done it
many times and have never had a problem. That's why they put the jumper there
in the first place.
--
That's just like my opinion, Man........

"brianb" wrote:

> "So, went to the BIOS
> and shorted the memory (Some computers, when you add a card or a device and
> freezed, can erase the memory where the devices are stored)"
>
> If I were you, I wouldn't try that too much. It can cause very bad things to
> happen to a PC. (Assuming that you were adding a card when the PC was powered
> on)
>

> "Eidolon" wrote:
>
> > All began with a red x in the event viewer with this data:
> > Event ID:4609 with HRESULT C0000005 in line 44 of
> > d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp.
> > I did know that in my D: drive there was no directory called QXP_SLP and it
> > appeared every time in the startup. Refreshed the local policies in Create
> > Global Policies and Impersonate a client after authentication (removing and
> > then adding SERVICE account) , making the Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
> > Properties log on in Local System Account, and even was beguinning to
> > consider a Repair Install, (until i discovered that to put the system top
> > notch , I would have to download 120 patches) But, then , decided to dust the
> > computer , after that the computer freezed at startup. So, went to the BIOS
> > and shorted the memory (Some computers, when you add a card or a device and
> > freezed, can erase the memory where the devices are stored) restarted , and
> > the ethernet card didn´t appeared. But, there is no event 4609 in the event
> > viewer. So, the ethernet card was dying and in its last rattles was making
> > events 4609. Well, a new ethernet card, then.

brianb

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Ok, if he was talking about the jumper, then that is fine. I was thinking he
was shorting with a pci/agp/isa card or something. It's still not good if he
shorts with the jumper while the power is on.

"uggabugga" wrote:

> I think he meant that he reset the BIOS when he said shorted. I have done it
> many times and have never had a problem. That's why they put the jumper there
> in the first place.
> --
> That's just like my opinion, Man........
>

> "brianb" wrote:
>
> > "So, went to the BIOS
> > and shorted the memory (Some computers, when you add a card or a device and
> > freezed, can erase the memory where the devices are stored)"
> >
> > If I were you, I wouldn't try that too much. It can cause very bad things to
> > happen to a PC. (Assuming that you were adding a card when the PC was powered
> > on)
> >

> > "Eidolon" wrote:
> >
> > > All began with a red x in the event viewer with this data:
> > > Event ID:4609 with HRESULT C0000005 in line 44 of
> > > d:\qxp_slp\com\com1x\src\events\tier1\eventsystemobj.cpp.
> > > I did know that in my D: drive there was no directory called QXP_SLP and it
> > > appeared every time in the startup. Refreshed the local policies in Create
> > > Global Policies and Impersonate a client after authentication (removing and
> > > then adding SERVICE account) , making the Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
> > > Properties log on in Local System Account, and even was beguinning to
> > > consider a Repair Install, (until i discovered that to put the system top
> > > notch , I would have to download 120 patches) But, then , decided to dust the
> > > computer , after that the computer freezed at startup. So, went to the BIOS
> > > and shorted the memory (Some computers, when you add a card or a device and
> > > freezed, can erase the memory where the devices are stored) restarted , and
> > > the ethernet card didn´t appeared. But, there is no event 4609 in the event
> > > viewer. So, the ethernet card was dying and in its last rattles was making
> > > events 4609. Well, a new ethernet card, then.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Not unless you want to zap the board.