Sign in with
Your question

need better monitor 20' for games:widescreen or normal??

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 22, 2007 11:54:28 AM

hi there
i want to upgrade a monitor form current samsung 17' 740N

i went to survey the local store here in moscow and i can only afford 20' monitor

the model that i'm interested is samsung 203B(normal) and 205BW(widescreen-HDCP support), the price is quite the same for both

my question is: which type of 20' monitor are better for games: normal or widescreen??what's u'all opinion?

i play mostly 70% strategy(COH,warhammer,titan quest) 20%FPS,10% racing eg NFS
March 22, 2007 11:55:54 AM

forgot to tell...usually i watch anime in 4:3 format n seldom i watch DVD or widescreen drama
March 23, 2007 8:21:47 PM

argh..nobody can give opinion?:-(
Related resources
a b C Monitor
March 23, 2007 8:35:15 PM

Guess you should just try and check it out for yourself. One issue with RTS games is that you'll have limited view distance vertically with a widescreen. However, widescreen might turn out to be nicer for you.
March 23, 2007 9:47:39 PM

Quote:
...usually I watch anime in 4:3 format

Well, there you go - a 20" wide screen = 1680x1050 which means your anime will fit in a 1397x1050 1:1 "window".

I, on the other hand, am coming from the other point of view, using my PC to watch 16:9 DVDs (as I don't own a TV set). I've been watching 16:9 on a 19" CRT for the past five years and I've had enough of squinting from 2.5m away... :p 

Back to you... games that support wide screen are way cool on wide screen panels, but they are still far & few between, so I think you can survive with 4:3. Not to mention, 1600x1200 makes for quite an impressive arena...!

Btw, just bought my first Russian-made game (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)! it's gotten great reviews so maybe you want to spend a little of that 20% and pay your patriotic respects :) 
March 23, 2007 10:41:28 PM

Quote:

Btw, just bought my first Russian-made game (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)! it's gotten great reviews so maybe you want to spend a little of that 20% and pay your patriotic respects :) 

erk..actually i'm not a Russian. I'm Malaysian student studying in Moscow. well, being a foreigner here is very hard

lately (1 year) i cannot play FPS more than before(last time FPS is my fav genre, almost 90% i play FPS).now 10min i play and i got headache

well, using my 8800gts i put all the setting high ...and the sharpness of the picture made me got headache. dunno why.....and i feel sad bout it. i cannot play oblivion, FEAR etc.

i already try playing STALKER..yah, as usuall..10min play and got headache
a b C Monitor
March 24, 2007 1:37:14 AM

Could it be the motion blur as the cause?
LCDs show blurring on motion (such as in FPS and RTS games) meaning you will be unable to focus on small details of fast moving objects. So, instead of seeing a sharp image you fan focus on, you get a blur. Perhaps this could cause you to fell uneasy?
March 24, 2007 12:00:52 PM

Quote:
LCDs show blurring on motion (such as in FPS and RTS games) meaning you will be unable to focus on small details of fast moving objects. So, instead of seeing a sharp image you fan focus on, you get a blur. Perhaps this could cause you to fell uneasy?

erm? maybe u have point there...yeah actually after i migrate from CRT to LCD..i cannot plat FPS for a long time than before....

so how to impove this situation..any suggestion?
a b C Monitor
March 24, 2007 5:01:50 PM

Quote:

erm? maybe u have point there...yeah actually after i migrate from CRT to LCD..i cannot plat FPS for a long time than before....

so how to impove this situation..any suggestion?
There is no way to improve it with most LCD monitors. That is the weakness of LCD monitors. However, they have developed some solutions to help solve this:
* One solution involves inserting black frames between each frame to simulate the "flicker" of CRT monitors. The problem with this is that you are then left with the eye strain issues causes by flicker, and current BFI (flicker LCD) monitors are running at 60Hz (I think), which may or may not cause serious eye strain like the 60Hz CRTs do.

* Another solution, is to raise the refresh rate (either for real or computed internally). However, there are other problems related to this method. Unfortunately, this method is not 100% effective, but it is better than nothing.

So... essentially, there is no ideal solution for LCD monitors -- even in theory. They have come up with two options, but they have weaknesses.
!