cacls.exe to change registry permission

Hello,
Can cacls.exe be used to change a registry permission? It's been suggested
to me to use this tool but I'm not having any luck using it on a registry
key.
Can anyone help?

I need to change the permissions for a key under HKLM\SOFTWARE\MyCompany for
the group machine\Users.

Steve

There's a whole bunch of info on it if you type cacls.exe into Google.
--
That's just like my opinion, Man........

"Steve Long" wrote:

> Hello,
> Can cacls.exe be used to change a registry permission? It's been suggested
> to me to use this tool but I'm not having any luck using it on a registry
> key.
> Can anyone help?
>
> I need to change the permissions for a key under HKLM\SOFTWARE\MyCompany for
> the group machine\Users.
>
> Steve

Yea, I've done that but am not finding how to edit a permission on a
registry key.
Any help on this?

Steve

"Steve Long" <Steve_Noneya@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> Can cacls.exe be used to change a registry permission? It's been
> suggested
> to me to use this tool but I'm not having any luck using it on a
> registry
> key.
> Can anyone help?
>
> I need to change the permissions for a key under
> HKLM\SOFTWARE\MyCompany for
> the group machine\Users.

How To Use the Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Registry Editor
Features
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310426

To assign permissions to a registry key
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_permit_key.mspx

--
William

Thanks WTC. I guess I should have been more clear. I need to do it
programmatically and someone had mentioned cacls.exe to me but I'm not
seeing how it can edit a registry key permission. I was hoping if someone
knew how to do that they could help me with it.

Steve

"WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Steve Long" <Steve_Noneya@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > Can cacls.exe be used to change a registry permission? It's been
> > suggested
> > to me to use this tool but I'm not having any luck using it on a
> > registry
> > key.
> > Can anyone help?
> >
> > I need to change the permissions for a key under
> > HKLM\SOFTWARE\MyCompany for
> > the group machine\Users.
> >

> How To Use the Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Registry Editor
> Features
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310426
>
> To assign permissions to a registry key

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_permit_key.mspx

> --
> William

Distributing Registry Changes
3 ways to make registry changes on systems across your network—without
leaving your desk
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnw2kmag01/html/DistributingRegistryChanges.asp

How to Use Regini.exe to Set Permissions on Registry Keys
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237607

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:eDDZ$dAhFHA.1460@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Steve Long <Steve_Noneya@NoSpam.com> hunted and pecked:
> Thanks WTC. I guess I should have been more clear. I need to do it
> programmatically and someone had mentioned cacls.exe to me but I'm not
> seeing how it can edit a registry key permission. I was hoping if someone
> knew how to do that they could help me with it.
>
> Steve
>
> "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Steve Long" <Steve_Noneya@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello,
>>> Can cacls.exe be used to change a registry permission? It's been
>>> suggested
>>> to me to use this tool but I'm not having any luck using it on a
>>> registry
>>> key.
>>> Can anyone help?
>>>
>>> I need to change the permissions for a key under
>>> HKLM\SOFTWARE\MyCompany for
>>> the group machine\Users.
>>>

>> How To Use the Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Registry Editor
>> Features
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310426
>>
>> To assign permissions to a registry key

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/regedit_permit_key.mspx

>> --
>> William

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition

%windir%\system32\Regini.exe

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes