drive not found

stupid_tech_geek

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
I have a sata drive hooked up and would like to add one of my ide drives. I enabled the boot order setting in the bios but windows only see's the sata drive. The Ide is on the primary channel by its' self and the jumper is set to csel (WD hdd's are kinda fickle some times)as the master setting didn't work. Does anyone have an idea wht I could be missing? also, as I am new to sata, will I be able to transfer files from sata to ide and back?

A7n8x dlx 1004 Uber Agressive settings
2500Barton (Bastards locked it) Radeon 9200
WD 60g @7200w 8mg Cache Crucial 2700 2x 256
AMD ME??? Yeah they did me alright.

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Does the BIOS recognize the drive during boot? If not, change your jumper setting or IDE cable, if yes, open drive management (diskmgmt.msc) and initialize/format the drive there.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

stupid_tech_geek

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
I've managed to get the bios to recognize the ide drive (WD 80 gig). I forgot to set the jumper to csel. I went into fdisk and deleted the partitions on that drive( it had a bad installation anyway) but after a long time I finally boot into that drive and start to install WinXp. After another ten minutes I get a page fault message (I'll post details later tonight when I get home).

A7n8x dlx 1004 Uber Agressive settings
2500Barton (Bastards locked it) Radeon 9200
WD 60g @7200w 8mg Cache Crucial 2700 2x 256
AMD ME??? Yeah they did me alright.

manthas

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2001
OK, I'm a little confused on how you have things hooked up here, so here's my best suggestion. Not knowing your motherboard, but if it's SATA solution is a bridged solution, it will use the PATA Primary Master IDE chain for the SATA connector, so if you've got both the SATA drive connected AND a drive on the primary master IDE channel you could be running into a conflict of resources.

If it's a native SATA solution, would recommend checking the owner's manual for the mobo and check to make sure it plays nice mixing and matching the two sets of devices and doesn't try to assign the same resources to both.

stupid_tech_geek

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
The board (asus a7n8x) has native sata support (2 headers onboard) so I'm not sure why there would be a problem with that. I didn't see anything in the manual about this either. The drive was recognized in the bios but I just couldn't manage to access it. Could this be a jumper issue? I had it set to csel because wd hard drives are funny like that. I'll do some tests and report back later.

Homer: Son, a woman is like a beer. They smell good, they look good, you'd step over your own mother just to get one! But you can't stop at one. You wanna drink another woman.