EXOPC Slate w/ Windows 8 Full

zoofish

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Hi,

I'm just wondering how well the full version of Windows 8 runs on the EXOPC Slate. Are there any slowdowns or lag. I basically will be using it for web browsing, youtube, basic apps and a little bit of gaming (apps).

Thanks.

DryCreamer

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
most of the videos I've seen shows that it can do basic things just fine. most video won't lag depending on what codec was used to encode the video...

The single core atom CPU I don't know, I'm a little nervous to see if it can do anything more than basic windows stuff, but if it can accomplish those things well, I will be happy

Dry

zoofish

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Yeah I was looking for Windows 8 videos on old atom cpus. It looks smooth for navigating around, but I don't know about using apps and such. I just bought an Acer W510 on the Microsoft Store for $400. (Deal good until end of 11/26) I Thank You though for your interest in helping me find an answer to my question. Thanks!

DryCreamer

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
that's not a bad price at all! I just got my ExoPC today and used it for about 5 hours till the battery died! it ran very well with ebay, internet, email etc. didn't notice any hang ups.

even watched a movie from my xbox on it just fine

When I was installing an app in the background it would stutter, installing apps in general it was best to wait until it was done before you went back to doing what you are doing.

but based on my first 4 hours of use, Windows 8 handles single core Atom's VERY well all things considered

The OS takes very little overhead

Let me know how the W510 works out, cuz that was my 2nd choice, is that the dual core?

I picked the used ExoPC up for $290 with an activated copy of Win 8 so I couldn't beat the price!

I wanted the Intel so I could run Windows progams... I'm going to "try" and run light room on it, not really to edit, but to cull my RAW camera photos, and it requires an Intel CPU and Win7 or Win8

EDIT: just checked out the W510 deal... I ordered my ExoPC on the 22nd... and I didn't really think to see about waiting until "cyber monday" if I woulda known about the sale I prob would have sprung the $100 more to get the dual core CPU :/

at any rate, I'm very happy so far in my first day of ownership considering I got it for under $300 it has a beautiful screen, although Acer really does have VERY nice screens, I have had 2, that CineCrytal is excellent, and I can only assume the CrystalBrite is equally nice

Dry

zoofish

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Thats good, I read that the ExoPC only gets like 3 hours of usage so 5 is really good (considering my Touchpad with android only gets like 3 hours and uses more in standby than anything else).

I'm glad everything runs smooth accept for usage while downloading an app, but that wouldn't have bothered me.

$290 is a lot better than the $360 for the ExoPC I was looking at with Windows 8. The only reason I took the W510 was just because it was $40 more. If I could have gotten an ExoPc for $290, I would have had to think a little more.

Cyber Monday was not in my mind either, I just happened to be on their website and saw it.

The only thing I might be disappointed with is that the W510 doesn't have a USB port on the tablet and the screen isn't 11.6". I have also read that the ExoPC screen was super responsive in Windows 7 so Windows 8 it must be amazing.

Thanks again for sharing your experience and I will let you know how the W510 works out when it comes.

zoofish

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
I got my W510 yesterday. I opened it up ad began using it. It is very responsive, and there is very little lag. Only when I download an app and use another program will it lag. It is very nice but a little small in my opinion and I only get 11 GB out of the 32 GB so I'm going to have to get a microsd card. The unfortunate thing though was that the screen I think was malfunctioning because any picture you would see on it was wrong. The colors were blurry, blotchy and didn't blend so I exchanged it. I just hope that the screen problem I had was just a defective product and doesn't look like it on the new one I get.

DryCreamer

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
hmm... I don't know. I know mine has to 'render' for a tick if I zoom in or out, but it does that on text and stuff, too. that sucks... I hate having to send something back for that kind of stuff...

Dry

ATC

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012

Hey guys. I just picked up an ExoPC Slate for $270 and will be upgrading to W8 Pro when it arrives. Glad to find this thread as I also had considered the W510 but missed the Cyber Monday sale.

Dry - have you had any issues with the Intel GMA 3150 graphics in Windows 8? I noticed Intel has not provided drivers for it yet (as far as I can tell). Have you had any problems?

Thanks

DryCreamer

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
No problems whatsoever

Here's my video I uploaded about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQiqj6X4Py0

I used the drivers from Intel's website and they worked fine.

The only driver issue I had was with the HDMI. And it was only an issue because I didn't know about it.

The HDMI out is run with a Chrontel 7036 chip, it is NOT with the Intel GMA drivers. I kept having this lingering device was unrecognized, and once I found out it was the Chrontel and installed the drivers for it (the Windows 7 drivers) everything has worked fine.

Dry

ATC

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012

Thanks for letting me know. I actually watched your whole YouTube video this morning, and it was really nice to see the Slate running the final version of W8, so thanks for uploading it.

I should receive mine later this week and I've got W8 ready to load. Anything I should know about the initial install process or drivers loading (other than the graphics issue)? This will be my first experience with W8, and your video has me looking forward to it.

DryCreamer

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
it should operate just like a PC as long as you make the bootable device first.

but

if you start the Windows 8 install from Windows 7, the USB drive doesn't have to be bootable.

the install screens can be tricky on a touch device so it might help to have a keyboard and mouse connected while running the install, and don't forget to plug it in!

You might have to make sure you have network drivers on the USB stick, in case Windows 8 doesn't pick them up during the install, that way you can get everything else by download or Windows update.

Let me know how it goes!

Dry

ATC

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
Thanks for the great advice. I hadn't considered that the install might be tricky on a touchscreen, so I'll be sure to have a keyboard and mouse on hand, as well as network drivers.

I'll update tomorrow after it arrives and I've finished the process.

Thanks again,
ATC

ATC

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
Let me know how it goes!

Dry[/quotemsg]

Hey Dry,

I'm up and running with Windows 8 Pro on my ExoPC, and my experience thus far has been great! Install went smoothly and all network drivers seemed to install just fine. I'm actually posting this from it.

The only issue I have yet to figure out is automatic screen rotation. I can make the screen manually rotate via Windows Mobility Center, but it's kind of a pain to do it that way. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for your help.
ATC

Rune Hagen

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013
For me win8 pro works a lot better than the Win7 that it came with.
Boot times are less, and it reacts just as fast or faster with Win8.
I also had to replace the original HDD with a new 128GB M4 from Crucial because the original died on me. Can't tell if that did anything to performance.

I haven't cared about the auto rotate. But the drivers should be here:
http://downloads.zoostorm.com/drivers/tablet/SL8/Win7%2032/
And an HDMI fix/driver here:
http://www.pherzog.net/Ersatztreiber-fur-HDMI-unter-Win8.ashx

These are the original Win7 drivers. most of those should work:
http://exocommunity.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=3663&sid=199799684ae910248e751e94c7cbcf4f