What's this game?

Last response: in Video Games
December 19, 2004 11:48:47 PM

I'm trying to remember a game from ages past. It was written in AppleSoft
BASIC, I think it was copied out of a magazine, however, it was passed
around our high-school so I'm not sure.

It involved escaping from a high-rise building floor by floor. I can't
remember many of the details, I do remember one level you have to inflate
a balloon and descend to the next level.

If anyone knows the name of the game I'd appreciate if you'd post it.

Thanks,
-Mike

--
Michael Wilkinson
mike@HIGHtowerravens.com

More about : game

Anonymous
January 17, 2005 8:25:49 AM

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 20:48:47 +0000 (UTC), Michael Wilkinson <mike@HIGHtowerravens.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to remember a game from ages past. It was written in AppleSoft
> BASIC, I think it was copied out of a magazine, however, it was passed
> around our high-school so I'm not sure.
>
> It involved escaping from a high-rise building floor by floor. I can't
> remember many of the details, I do remember one level you have to inflate
> a balloon and descend to the next level.
>
> If anyone knows the name of the game I'd appreciate if you'd post it.

Kinda reminds me of Cliff Diver, but that was in AGT.

--
------------------------
Mark Jeffrey Tilford

You might try asking on comp.sys.apple2

"Mark J. Tilford" <tilford@ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote in message
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 20:48:47 +0000 (UTC), Michael Wilkinson
> <mike@HIGHtowerravens.com> wrote:
>> I'm trying to remember a game from ages past. It was written in AppleSoft
>> BASIC, I think it was copied out of a magazine, however, it was passed
>> around our high-school so I'm not sure.
>>
>> It involved escaping from a high-rise building floor by floor. I can't
>> remember many of the details, I do remember one level you have to inflate
>> a balloon and descend to the next level.
>>
>> If anyone knows the name of the game I'd appreciate if you'd post it.
>>

> Kinda reminds me of Cliff Diver, but that was in AGT.
>
> --
> ------------------------
> Mark Jeffrey Tilford
> tilford@ugcs.caltech.edu
January 17, 2005 5:22:42 PM

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 20:48:47 +0000 (UTC), Michael Wilkinson
<mike@HIGHtowerravens.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to remember a game from ages past. It was written in AppleSoft
>BASIC, I think it was copied out of a magazine, however, it was passed
>around our high-school so I'm not sure.
>
>It involved escaping from a high-rise building floor by floor. I can't
>remember many of the details, I do remember one level you have to inflate
>a balloon and descend to the next level.
>
>If anyone knows the name of the game I'd appreciate if you'd post it.
>
>Thanks,
>-Mike

Were there drugs involved? Sounds like Drug Alert, an educational game
designed to teach students of dangers of drugs and how to spot which
is which....
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 6:50:55 PM

In article <rginu0hjvfufjedh04dp932ges6ronetd4@4ax.com>, Boluc Papuccuoglu wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 20:48:47 +0000 (UTC), Michael Wilkinson
><mike@HIGHtowerravens.com> wrote:
>
>>I'm trying to remember a game from ages past. It was written in AppleSoft
>>BASIC, I think it was copied out of a magazine, however, it was passed
>>around our high-school so I'm not sure.
>>
>>It involved escaping from a high-rise building floor by floor. I can't
>>remember many of the details, I do remember one level you have to inflate
>>a balloon and descend to the next level.
>>
>>If anyone knows the name of the game I'd appreciate if you'd post it.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>-Mike
>
> Were there drugs involved? Sounds like Drug Alert, an educational game
> designed to teach students of dangers of drugs and how to spot which
> is which....

No, no drugs or educational aspects. I think it was just painstakingly
copied out of a Byte magazine. I seem to recall several students taking
portions of the code and typing them.

Someone suggested posting in the apple2 group. I'll try that too. Thanks!

-Mike

--
Michael Wilkinson
Game Designer

> Someone suggested posting in the apple2 group. I'll try that too. Thanks!

Were you able to get the game out of the DSK image?
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 6:57:36 AM

In article <358dkhF4jag94U1@individual.net>, Terry Olsen wrote:

>> Someone suggested posting in the apple2 group. I'll try that too. Thanks!
>>

> Were you able to get the game out of the DSK image?

Yes, however, it's in AppleSoft BASIC so it only runs in an emulator.
I did it by firing up an apple 2 emulator under Linux, listing the
program, then copy and pasting the scrollback. I can post the code if
anyone is interested. I suppose it could be 'ported' to another BASIC
flavor, or the game can be done in z-code, but I've only poked around
with inform so far.

-Mike

--
Michael Wilkinson
Game Designer

I'm working on porting it to my BBS, I should have it online in a day or
two...

"Michael Wilkinson" <mike@towerSPAMFREEravens.com> wrote in message
> In article <358dkhF4jag94U1@individual.net>, Terry Olsen wrote:
>>>
>>> Someone suggested posting in the apple2 group. I'll try that too.
>>> Thanks!
>>>

>> Were you able to get the game out of the DSK image?
>>

> Yes, however, it's in AppleSoft BASIC so it only runs in an emulator.
> I did it by firing up an apple 2 emulator under Linux, listing the
> program, then copy and pasting the scrollback. I can post the code if
> anyone is interested. I suppose it could be 'ported' to another BASIC
> flavor, or the game can be done in z-code, but I've only poked around
> with inform so far.
>
> -Mike
>
> --
> Michael Wilkinson
> Game Designer
> Tower Ravens LLC
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 10:01:49 PM

In article <358su0F4j3mllU1@individual.net>, Terry Olsen wrote:
> I'm working on porting it to my BBS, I should have it online in a day or
> two...

Is it an old-school dialup BBS or internet BBS? Is it open to anyone?
If so, how may I access it?

Thanks,
-Mike

--
Michael Wilkinson
Game Designer

It's my old dialup bbs running METAL on an Apple IIgs. It is accessible by
telnetting to: boycot.no-ip.com port 9999.
telnet://boycot.no-ip.com:9999

It's open to anyone. You just have to sign up the first time you connect.

I'm planning on porting as many IF games as I can to run on it...

!