fleshie

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Hi everyone,

I got a new Samsung 226BW 22" LCD with a problem that I hope somebody could shed some light on.

I'm trying to run a dual monitor setup with the 22" and another 19" monitor.
When I connect the 22" LCD into the DVI, and the the 19" LCD into the Analog, I would constantly see something like waves of 'static' moving from the bottom of the screen upwards on the 22"... hard to describe, but basically a wave of horizontal faint blurry lines that looks like it's coming from the bottom of the screen and moves up... fading away around 3/4 of the screen up. When I disconnect the 19" monitor from the DVI, the static waves on the 22" (connected to the Analog) are still there, but it is noticeably less apparent. When I switch them around, and connect the 22" into the DVI and the 19" into the Analog, both monitor seem to work fine, with no more of those blurry waves of static on the 22". Can somebody tell me if there's likely something wrong with the 22" LCD? Or what can be the cause of these weird blurry lines? Why is it so messed up when I'm running it using Analog? Thanks for any help at all.

Traveller

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
Can somebody tell me if there's likely something wrong with the 22" LCD?
There's only two (er, more like 2.5) possibilities here:
->Either the 226BW is very sensitive to "noise" when working in VGA mode in which case you might want to consider looking for a better shielded VGA cable.
->If the cable you are using is first-rate, then it looks like either the 226BW does not use a very good VGA interface, or your particular unit has a problem with said interface.

Perhaps another 226BW owner can confirm the latter case.

Just know that the economy models (from all LCD manufacturers) will almost always skimp on the VGA interface knowing that most useres will go with the DVI instead...

xanthippus

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2007
Hi Fleshie,

Just posted a thread myself, does it sound like your issue?

In the last few days I've been playing with my Samsung 226BW 22" widescreen LCD. Almost straight away however I noticed that, when reading a webpage, after each few lines the text would appear slightly smudged. Still very readable, but distracting, as it is not of the same visual quality as the rest. Having now examined it carefully these smudged lines appear almost at every centimetre down the page (with anything in-between fine).

N.b. DVI connected

fleshie

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Thanks for the replies first of all.

Traveller:
I'm just using the VGA cable coming with the monitor.. but I will try to get a better one (not sure how I can even tell if a VGA cable is better) and test it.
Is there any possibility that it has something to do with my graphics card? I'm running Analog on my old 19" with this graphics card fine... so I'm not sure why it wouldn't run the 22" ok.

xanthippus:
Your problem seems a little different than mine. My lines aren't really smudged and it's not an image quality type of issue. I actually see these waves of static that flicker left and right, while moving up my screen.

Thanks for any help.