Sign in with
Your question

HDD wiped.

Last response: in Storage
October 14, 2004 9:41:50 AM

Three times now. Primary IDE port "failure" resulted in a complete wipe of the HDD. Nothing left, no data, nothing.
Drive unharmed and used again, in one case in the same board Secondary port. All Athlon boards, two with VIA chipsets and one with NVIDIA. Brand names if you need them.
All three ran perfectly for at least two weeks after the build, the latest 6 weeks. Then, no boot, NTLDR cannot be found. No wonder, the drives were clean. No data, nothing.
The FAT tables screwed up, the latest UNKNOWN. Questions, what happens and how can an IDE port "fail" and wipe a drive clean? In this case of three, it was the Primary IDE in each case and not the Secondary. I'm getting gunshy and now setting up builds using the Secondary IDE for HDD installs. Need some help/wisdom/guidance and believe me, it will be much appreciated.

More about : hdd wiped

October 14, 2004 3:06:34 PM

Questions like "OMG, my drive failed, what happened" will get answers, "oh, dude, maybe... or maybe..."

So, get your acts together, explain the problem, and how/where/when it accured, then "maybe" you'll get some normal answers, caz 3 different systems CANNOT fail at the same time without user's "help".

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
October 14, 2004 3:13:06 PM

AMEN to that Blah!

On a more serious note, have you been using the same HDD or IDE cable on all three systems? If so, try getting a new damn hard drive and spending a few buck to get a new set of IDE cables.

XP2800+, Abit NF7, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR333, ATI R9800PRO 128MB, TT PurePower 420W, LG DVD+-R/RW
:redface: <font color=red>My wife says I suffer from premature ejaculation...I don't remember suffering<font color=red> :wink:
Related resources
October 14, 2004 6:46:02 PM

the data is still there, I doubt the PC decided to write 0's to the entire drive before it "failed"

October 14, 2004 9:11:55 PM

A few bucks not the problem. These were three all new builds out of 200 or so over a six month period. All new parts each time. The IDE cables and hard drives were not involved in the other failures. All three ran perfectly for at least two weeks prior to failure. The drives were not ruined and were re-formatted and used elsewhere. The quesion is how an IDE port or cable can cause this. I posted in another forum and others have had similar failures at about the same rate. There is no warning of any kind. One day everything is perfect and the next boot yields nothing with a wiped hard drive. I'm not concerned with data recovery, just the cause and possible cure.
October 14, 2004 10:33:37 PM

Could be boot sector virii.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
October 14, 2004 11:33:47 PM

Yes, you are right. It could be a boot virus. I wish I could say it was. Not in this case. Thanks for a good and possible answer.
October 15, 2004 12:01:53 AM

VIA used to have some issues with IDE corruption, but those issues never made a drive appear blank, rather corrupt files would prevent the system from running properly. Unaffected files could always be recovered.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!