changing admin acct. and password

hi there. I would appreicate any help I can get. I recently hooked my
computer up after 6 long months and have forgotten my admin acct name and
password both. I thought you went in safe mode and went from there to reset,
but it still comes up logging me in as guest and also, the keyboard doesn't
work in safe mode for me. I called the lovely people at Dell for tech support
and they would like $49.00 for 72 hours of tech support! UGH!!! So, the
super. I talked to suggest I come here and see if I can get help. Thank you
so much in advance!
7 answers Last reply
More about changing admin acct password

    Start > Help & Support > To change your password
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    chrissy wrote:
    > hi there. I would appreicate any help I can get. I recently hooked my
    > computer up after 6 long months and have forgotten my admin acct name and
    > password both. I thought you went in safe mode and went from there to
    > reset,
    > but it still comes up logging me in as guest and also, the keyboard
    > doesn't
    > work in safe mode for me. I called the lovely people at Dell for tech
    > support and they would like $49.00 for 72 hours of tech support! UGH!!!
    > So,
    > the super. I talked to suggest I come here and see if I can get help.
    > Thank
    > you so much in advance!

    That isn't very helpful either, had you read the question. You cannot change
    passwords or setup a new user account if you can only log in with the guest
    account.

    I am afraid that unless you remember the administrator password, you are
    basically hosed. Have you tried just leaving it blank? That normally works
    unless, of course, you have set an administrator password. If you have and
    you've forgotten it, you could always format. Bear in mind you wave goodbye
    to your data. You may want to contact a tech shop to see if they're able to
    retrieve the data for you, depending on how important the info is to you of
    course.

    "PA Bear" wrote:

    > Start > Help & Support > To change your password
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    >
    > chrissy wrote:
    > > hi there. I would appreicate any help I can get. I recently hooked my
    > > computer up after 6 long months and have forgotten my admin acct name and
    > > password both. I thought you went in safe mode and went from there to
    > > reset,
    > > but it still comes up logging me in as guest and also, the keyboard
    > > doesn't
    > > work in safe mode for me. I called the lovely people at Dell for tech
    > > support and they would like $49.00 for 72 hours of tech support! UGH!!!
    > > So,
    > > the super. I talked to suggest I come here and see if I can get help.
    > > Thank
    > > you so much in advance!

    I did try that and I cannot seem to find anything to do without the
    administrator acct, which is the one that I forgot. Right now I am logged on
    as a guest, and I cannot add or remove programs or anything as a guest. I
    just am so frustrated, with myself for even forgetting it, but it has been
    over a year since I bought this comp., also with Dell, I have never called
    them before for anything but to buy since this purchase and they can't even
    help me with one simple thing. Maybe I'll have to pay after all..... Thanks
    PA Bear (does that PA mean Pennsylvania?)

    "PA Bear" wrote:

    > Start > Help & Support > To change your password
    > --
    > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    >
    > chrissy wrote:
    > > hi there. I would appreicate any help I can get. I recently hooked my
    > > computer up after 6 long months and have forgotten my admin acct name and
    > > password both. I thought you went in safe mode and went from there to
    > > reset,
    > > but it still comes up logging me in as guest and also, the keyboard
    > > doesn't
    > > work in safe mode for me. I called the lovely people at Dell for tech
    > > support and they would like $49.00 for 72 hours of tech support! UGH!!!
    > > So,
    > > the super. I talked to suggest I come here and see if I can get help.
    > > Thank
    > > you so much in advance!

    you may be paying for nothing, they'll just tell you to format clean install.
    or call microsoft. either way you'll get the same option, since it's illegal
    for either of them to break passwords.

    "chrissy" wrote:

    > I did try that and I cannot seem to find anything to do without the
    > administrator acct, which is the one that I forgot. Right now I am logged on
    > as a guest, and I cannot add or remove programs or anything as a guest. I
    > just am so frustrated, with myself for even forgetting it, but it has been
    > over a year since I bought this comp., also with Dell, I have never called
    > them before for anything but to buy since this purchase and they can't even
    > help me with one simple thing. Maybe I'll have to pay after all..... Thanks
    > PA Bear (does that PA mean Pennsylvania?)
    >
    > "PA Bear" wrote:
    >
    > > Start > Help & Support > To change your password
    > > --
    > > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    > > MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    > >
    > > chrissy wrote:
    > > > hi there. I would appreicate any help I can get. I recently hooked my
    > > > computer up after 6 long months and have forgotten my admin acct name and
    > > > password both. I thought you went in safe mode and went from there to
    > > > reset,
    > > > but it still comes up logging me in as guest and also, the keyboard
    > > > doesn't
    > > > work in safe mode for me. I called the lovely people at Dell for tech
    > > > support and they would like $49.00 for 72 hours of tech support! UGH!!!
    > > > So,
    > > > the super. I talked to suggest I come here and see if I can get help.
    > > > Thank
    > > > you so much in advance!

    I just thought of something.....what if I reinstall WindowsXP? Would that
    take care of the problem?

    In news:CA170414-E99C-4EE0-8BED-6ED2370ECCCD@microsoft.com,
    chrissy <chrissy@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > hi there. I would appreicate any help I can get. I recently hooked my
    > computer up after 6 long months and have forgotten my admin acct name
    > and password both. I thought you went in safe mode and went from
    > there to reset, but it still comes up logging me in as guest and
    > also, the keyboard doesn't work in safe mode for me. I called the
    > lovely people at Dell for tech support and they would like $49.00 for
    > 72 hours of tech support! UGH!!! So, the super. I talked to suggest I
    > come here and see if I can get help. Thank you so much in advance!

    Use this to kill the password.

    Yes, I know it says NT and yes it works just fine for XP. :-)

    Galen

    without them."

    Sherlock Holmes

    Thank you for your kind words, Kelly. I'm sure Chrissy can depend on you
    for help now.
    --
    ~PA Bear

    Kelly wrote:
    > That isn't very helpful either, had you read the question. You cannot
    > change
    > passwords or setup a new user account if you can only log in with the
    > guest
    > account.
    >
    > I am afraid that unless you remember the administrator password, you are
    > basically hosed. Have you tried just leaving it blank? That normally works
    > unless, of course, you have set an administrator password. If you have and
    > you've forgotten it, you could always format. Bear in mind you wave
    > goodbye
    > to your data. You may want to contact a tech shop to see if they're able
    > retrieve the data for you, depending on how important the info is to you
    > of
    > course.
    >

    > "PA Bear" wrote:
    >
    >> Start > Help & Support > To change your password
    >> --
    >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    >> MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security
    >>
    >> chrissy wrote:
    >>> hi there. I would appreicate any help I can get. I recently hooked my
    >>> computer up after 6 long months and have forgotten my admin acct name
    >>> and
    >>> password both. I thought you went in safe mode and went from there to
    >>> reset,
    >>> but it still comes up logging me in as guest and also, the keyboard
    >>> doesn't
    >>> work in safe mode for me. I called the lovely people at Dell for tech
    >>> support and they would like $49.00 for 72 hours of tech support! UGH!!!
    >>> So,
    >>> the super. I talked to suggest I come here and see if I can get help.
    >>> Thank
    >>> you so much in advance!

Safe Mode Windows XP