slow boot, error message, fresh install

I put a fresh install on a compaq presario 2.2gh, 512 m. ram, WinXP, Svc Pk 2

I have almost no programs on it.

I had Norton System 2000 on it and removed because I thought it may have
been the problem.
The only other programs on it are Spybot S&D, Ad aware SE

I am getting extremely slow boot up. Right before this error, The post
screen was so dim that it could hardly be seen. This message then popped up.

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services encountered a problem and needed to
close
I:\Docume~1\GARYMO~1\;PCA;S`1\TEMP\WER4b6c.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
I:\Docume~1\GARYMO~1\;PCA;S`1\TEMP\WER4b6c.dir00\appcompat.txt

Thanks for the help...gary

kelly

boot into safe mode, scan with antivirus and antispyware software. remove any
threats. open internet explorer, tools, internet options. delete cookies,
files & offline content, clear history. go to start, all programs,
accessories, system tools, disk defragmenter. choose analyze first and see if
the drive needs to be defragged.

"phal" wrote:

> I put a fresh install on a compaq presario 2.2gh, 512 m. ram, WinXP, Svc Pk 2
>
> I have almost no programs on it.
>
> I had Norton System 2000 on it and removed because I thought it may have
> been the problem.
> The only other programs on it are Spybot S&D, Ad aware SE
>
> I am getting extremely slow boot up. Right before this error, The post
> screen was so dim that it could hardly be seen. This message then popped up.
>
> Generic Host Process for Win32 Services encountered a problem and needed to
> close
> I:\Docume~1\GARYMO~1\;PCA;S`1\TEMP\WER4b6c.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
> I:\Docume~1\GARYMO~1\;PCA;S`1\TEMP\WER4b6c.dir00\appcompat.txt
>
> Thanks for the help...gary

Malke

Kelly wrote:

> boot into safe mode, scan with antivirus and antispyware software.
> remove any threats. open internet explorer, tools, internet options.
> delete cookies, files & offline content, clear history. go to start,
> all programs, accessories, system tools, disk defragmenter. choose
> analyze first and see if the drive needs to be defragged.

More erroneous information from the troll. See below for answers:

> "phal" wrote:
>
>> I put a fresh install on a compaq presario 2.2gh, 512 m. ram, WinXP,
>> Svc Pk 2
>>
>> I have almost no programs on it.
>>
>> I had Norton System 2000 on it and removed because I thought it may
>> have been the problem.
>> The only other programs on it are Spybot S&D, Ad aware SE
>>
>> I am getting extremely slow boot up. Right before this error, The
>> post screen was so dim that it could hardly be seen. This message
>> then popped up.
>>
>> Generic Host Process for Win32 Services encountered a problem and
>> needed to close
>> I:\Docume~1\GARYMO~1\;PCA;S`1\TEMP\WER4b6c.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
>> I:\Docume~1\GARYMO~1\;PCA;S`1\TEMP\WER4b6c.dir00\appcompat.txt
>>
>> Thanks for the help...gary

Gary - It sounds like you are having hardware issues. If the POST could
hardly be seen, that has nothing to do with the operating system
(Windows). The operating system isn't even loaded at that point. So, I
would start with some hardware troubleshooting (general steps are
below). There is always the possibility that your monitor is going
regarding the dimness, but the slowness would not be caused by that.

The slowness when you finally get into XP can be caused by the drives
using PIO mode instead of DMA. You can try and fix this, but if you
have underlying hardware problems you're going to need to address those
first since hardware issues can't be solved with software. Here's a
link about PIO/DMA modes:

http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm

In addition, when you say "fresh install", did you use the Compaq
Recovery disk or did you use a retail copy of XP? If the latter, did
you also install all the Compaq drivers for their very proprietary
hardware? If you didn't install proper drivers, you must get them from
Compaq's website (their Recovery disk would have taken care of this).
If you did use a Recovery disk and are still having the issues, that
definitely points to hardware.

So here are some general hardware troubleshooting steps:

1) Open the computer and run it open, cleaning out all dust bunnies and
observing all fans (overheating will cause system freezing). Obviously
you can't do this with a laptop, but you can hear if the fan is running
and feel if the laptop is getting too hot.

2) Test the RAM - I like Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org. Obviously, you
have to get the program from a working machine. You will either
download the precompiled Windows binary to make a bootable floppy or
the .iso to make a bootable cd. If you want to use the latter, you'll
need to have third-party burning software on the machine where you
download the file - XP's built-in burning capability won't do the job.
In either case, boot with the media you made. The test will run
immediately. Let the test run for an extended period of time - unless
errors are seen immediately. If you get any errors, replace the RAM.

3) Test the hard drive with a diagnostic utility from the mftr. Usually
you will download the file and make a bootable floppy with it. Boot
with the media and do a thorough test. If the drive has physical
errors, replace it.

4) The power supply may be going bad or be inadequate for the devices
you have in the system. The adequacy issue doesn't really apply to a
laptop, although of course the power
supply can be faulty.

5) Test the motherboard with something like TuffTest from
www.tufftest.com. Sometimes this is useful, and sometimes it isn't.

Testing hardware failures often involves swapping out suspected parts
with known-good parts. If you can't do the testing yourself and/or are
uncomfortable opening your computer, take the machine to a professional
computer repair shop (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA).

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Not a fix but if you click on "Send to MS" on the error report that pops up
it will take you to Microsoft's website to download a patch to reduce the
occurrence of that error. I had the same issue I believe it is caused by bad
drivers and cheap hardware (I have a very cheap laptop) with me the issue
did not start until I removed some spyware but I have not tracked down which
one yet.

I think this is it http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894391

"phal" <phal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I put a fresh install on a compaq presario 2.2gh, 512 m. ram, WinXP, Svc Pk
>2
>
> I have almost no programs on it.
>
> I had Norton System 2000 on it and removed because I thought it may have
> been the problem.
> The only other programs on it are Spybot S&D, Ad aware SE
>
> I am getting extremely slow boot up. Right before this error, The post
> screen was so dim that it could hardly be seen. This message then popped
> up.
>
> Generic Host Process for Win32 Services encountered a problem and needed
> close
> I:\Docume~1\GARYMO~1\;PCA;S`1\TEMP\WER4b6c.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
> I:\Docume~1\GARYMO~1\;PCA;S`1\TEMP\WER4b6c.dir00\appcompat.txt
>
> Thanks for the help...gary

Hey to everyone, thanks for all of the replies.

Legit version of Win XP Pro, not a restore disk. Bad power supply replaced,
then format due to Spybot S&D finding 400 pcs. spyware on this computer.
Before format, I took the important component (driver) names and wrote them
down. Have been fighting with computer since format. I did not load drivers
from the Compaq site, I will try this tomorrow. Video/sound/network driver is
seemingly proper Nvidia driver loaded from Nvidia site.
I have run Spybot and Ad Aware and come up clean.
Cookies, offline and other content deleted.
MS Defrag says Defrag not needed
Power supply started all of this. It has been replaced.
Computer is nice and clean inside.
Problem seeing the post comes and goes.
I applied the patch mentioned above and got same error on next boot.
I just read these posts 20 minutes ago so I have not tested MB or Ram.
WD2000 Hard Drive tested with Western Digital Utility, came up clean.
I just checked and my first manual restore point that I set after clean
install is missing. This seems to happen to me on every computer I work on,
at least it does when the teat is in the proverbial wringer.
I am removing service pack 2 to see if that helps.
I will post tomorrow what has happened.
Thanks again...gary

"pcbutts1" wrote:

> I think this is it http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894391

> "phal" <phal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I put a fresh install on a compaq presario 2.2gh, 512 m. ram, WinXP, Svc Pk
> >2
> >
> > I have almost no programs on it.
> >
> > I had Norton System 2000 on it and removed because I thought it may have
> > been the problem.
> > The only other programs on it are Spybot S&D, Ad aware SE
> >
> > I am getting extremely slow boot up. Right before this error, The post
> > screen was so dim that it could hardly be seen. This message then popped
> > up.
> >
> > Generic Host Process for Win32 Services encountered a problem and needed
> > close
> > I:\Docume~1\GARYMO~1\;PCA;S`1\TEMP\WER4b6c.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
> > I:\Docume~1\GARYMO~1\;PCA;S`1\TEMP\WER4b6c.dir00\appcompat.txt
> >
> > Thanks for the help...gary

Kelly

I sent you an email at the one you have on the kelly-korner site...
Did you have a chance to see it???

Kenny

--
of view, is just a point a view and not something real.

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 03:16:54 +0300, Kenny S wrote:

> Kelly
>
> I sent you an email at the one you have on the kelly-korner site...
> Did you have a chance to see it???
>
> Kenny

Kenny, it's not the same Kelly.
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

If anyone has anything else for me to check here, let me know. Otherwise I am
probably going to format (again)..thanks

"phal" wrote:

> Hey to everyone, thanks for all of the replies.
>
> Legit version of Win XP Pro, not a restore disk. Bad power supply replaced,
> then format due to Spybot S&D finding 400 pcs. spyware on this computer.
> Before format, I took the important component (driver) names and wrote them
> down. Have been fighting with computer since format. I did not load drivers
> from the Compaq site, I will try this tomorrow. Video/sound/network driver is
> seemingly proper Nvidia driver loaded from Nvidia site.
> I have run Spybot and Ad Aware and come up clean.
> Cookies, offline and other content deleted.
> MS Defrag says Defrag not needed
> Power supply started all of this. It has been replaced.
> Computer is nice and clean inside.
> Problem seeing the post comes and goes.
> I applied the patch mentioned above and got same error on next boot.
> I just read these posts 20 minutes ago so I have not tested MB or Ram.
> WD2000 Hard Drive tested with Western Digital Utility, came up clean.
> I just checked and my first manual restore point that I set after clean
> install is missing. This seems to happen to me on every computer I work on,
> at least it does when the teat is in the proverbial wringer.
> I am removing service pack 2 to see if that helps.
> I will post tomorrow what has happened.
> Thanks again...gary
>

> "pcbutts1" wrote:
>
> > I think this is it http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894391
> >
> > --
> >

> > The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
> > NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
> > See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
> > Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
> >

> > "phal" <phal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I put a fresh install on a compaq presario 2.2gh, 512 m. ram, WinXP, Svc Pk
> > >2
> > >
> > > I have almost no programs on it.
> > >
> > > I had Norton System 2000 on it and removed because I thought it may have
> > > been the problem.
> > > The only other programs on it are Spybot S&D, Ad aware SE
> > >
> > > I am getting extremely slow boot up. Right before this error, The post
> > > screen was so dim that it could hardly be seen. This message then popped
> > > up.
> > >
> > > Generic Host Process for Win32 Services encountered a problem and needed
> > > close
> > > I:\Docume~1\GARYMO~1\;PCA;S`1\TEMP\WER4b6c.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
> > > I:\Docume~1\GARYMO~1\;PCA;S`1\TEMP\WER4b6c.dir00\appcompat.txt
> > >
> > > Thanks for the help...gary

Oh Sharon thank you very much for that info...

if you know of a way I can get in contact with Kelly Theriot

please send me an email to:

kenny.open[removethis]@gmail.com

It is kind of important.. I hope she is well.

Thanks!

--
Kenfucious said:

Michael Jackson has been vindicated.

The truth is one, you must accept it. Reality is not a point of view, since
if everything was a point a view, then the theory that everything is a point

I removed SP@ and I no longer receive error message, but still slow boot.

"phal" wrote:

> If anyone has anything else for me to check here, let me know. Otherwise I am
> probably going to format (again)..thanks
>
> "phal" wrote:
>
> > Hey to everyone, thanks for all of the replies.
> >
> > Legit version of Win XP Pro, not a restore disk. Bad power supply replaced,
> > then format due to Spybot S&D finding 400 pcs. spyware on this computer.
> > Before format, I took the important component (driver) names and wrote them
> > down. Have been fighting with computer since format. I did not load drivers
> > from the Compaq site, I will try this tomorrow. Video/sound/network driver is
> > seemingly proper Nvidia driver loaded from Nvidia site.
> > I have run Spybot and Ad Aware and come up clean.
> > Cookies, offline and other content deleted.
> > MS Defrag says Defrag not needed
> > Power supply started all of this. It has been replaced.
> > Computer is nice and clean inside.
> > Problem seeing the post comes and goes.
> > I applied the patch mentioned above and got same error on next boot.
> > I just read these posts 20 minutes ago so I have not tested MB or Ram.
> > WD2000 Hard Drive tested with Western Digital Utility, came up clean.
> > I just checked and my first manual restore point that I set after clean
> > install is missing. This seems to happen to me on every computer I work on,
> > at least it does when the teat is in the proverbial wringer.
> > I am removing service pack 2 to see if that helps.
> > I will post tomorrow what has happened.
> > Thanks again...gary
> >

> > "pcbutts1" wrote:
> >
> > > I think this is it http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894391
> > >
> > > --
> > >

> > > The best live web video on the internet http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm
> > > NEW Embedded system W/Linux. We now sell DVR cards.
> > > See it all at http://www.seedsv.com/products.htm
> > > Sharpvision simply the best http://www.seedsv.com
> > >

> > > "phal" <phal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Thank you for answering my question Sharon,

That is the problem, you are very observant. For some reason on my last
install this computer assigned the letter I to the c: drive.
Do you know how to fix this?
Thanks...gary

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 16:43:03 -0700, phal wrote:

> I put a fresh install on a compaq presario 2.2gh, 512 m. ram, WinXP, Svc Pk 2
>
> I have almost no programs on it.
>
> I had Norton System 2000 on it and removed because I thought it may have
> been the problem.
> The only other programs on it are Spybot S&D, Ad aware SE
>
> I am getting extremely slow boot up. Right before this error, The post
> screen was so dim that it could hardly be seen. This message then popped up.
>
> Generic Host Process for Win32 Services encountered a problem and needed to
> close
> I:\Docume~1\GARYMO~1\;PCA;S`1\TEMP\WER4b6c.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
> I:\Docume~1\GARYMO~1\;PCA;S`1\TEMP\WER4b6c.dir00\appcompat.txt
>
> Thanks for the help...gary

Gary, is the path shown above correct? If yes, you have some illegal
characters in this part ";PCA;S`1" or assuming a typo on the tilde present
in the 8.3 short names ";PCA;S~1" Get rid of the semicolons. If there are
no semi-colons except in the error message, run chkdsk on the I: drive.

The message you've quoted is the general notification of an error. Not many
details making it difficult to give any specific suggestions. Use event
viewer to see if there is a more detailed error message that contains more
clues.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 08:13:01 -0700, phal wrote:

> Thank you for answering my question Sharon,
>
> That is the problem, you are very observant. For some reason on my last
> install this computer assigned the letter I to the c: drive.
> Do you know how to fix this?
> Thanks...gary

XP doesn't really care what the drive letters are as it uses a different
internal method of tracking drives and partitions. Use Notepad to take a
look at boot.ini and you'll see what I mean.

Some programs assume C: for the windows and program files folders and
that's where you can run into trouble. One reason C: does not get assigned
to the first hard drive/first partition is due to peripheral drives being
attached during setup. Zip drives and some card readers particularly like
to grab C:.

There's no good way to manually change drive letters for the system or boot
partition drive (if different from the system partition). Best approach is
to disconnect all extra drives and reinstall from scratch. Once XP is in,
then add those extra drives back.

ASIDE: I was more concerned about the illegal characters in the path you
posted. Their presence could indicate some corruption on the drive and that
should be addressed. Malke's concern about the dim POST screen could be
pertinent to your troubles as well. A hardware problem or multiple hardware
problems could explain all of the symptoms you've described so far,
including the possible corruption of the folder/file structure.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Send her email, 99% of the world does. You should be able to guess her address, but if too silly, then look on her web site.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/mailto_xp.htm
"Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message news:e8QvsvDhFHA.1416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Oh Sharon thank you very much for that info...
>
> if you know of a way I can get in contact with Kelly Theriot
>
> please send me an email to:
>
> kenny.open[removethis]@gmail.com
>
> It is kind of important.. I hope she is well.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Kenfucious said:
>
> Michael Jackson has been vindicated.
>
> The truth is one, you must accept it. Reality is not a point of view, since
> if everything was a point a view, then the theory that everything is a point
> of view, is just a point a view and not something real.
> "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 03:16:54 +0300, Kenny S wrote:
>>
>>> Kelly
>>>
>>> I sent you an email at the one you have on the kelly-korner site...
>>> Did you have a chance to see it???
>>>
>>> Kenny
>>
>> Kenny, it's not the same Kelly.
>> --
>> Sharon F
>> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

I have already done that, read my original post.
Thank you.

--

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Send her email, 99% of the world does. You should be able to guess her
address, but if too silly, then look on her web site.
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/mailto_xp.htm
"Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
> Oh Sharon thank you very much for that info...
>
> if you know of a way I can get in contact with Kelly Theriot
>
> please send me an email to:
>
> kenny.open[removethis]@gmail.com
>
> It is kind of important.. I hope she is well.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Kenfucious said:
>
> Michael Jackson has been vindicated.
>
> The truth is one, you must accept it. Reality is not a point of view,
> since
> if everything was a point a view, then the theory that everything is a
> point
> of view, is just a point a view and not something real.
> "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 03:16:54 +0300, Kenny S wrote:
>>
>>> Kelly
>>>
>>> I sent you an email at the one you have on the kelly-korner site...
>>> Did you have a chance to see it???
>>>
>>> Kenny
>>
>> Kenny, it's not the same Kelly.
>> --
>> Sharon F
>> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

She gets 100s of mails a day. I was talking to her last night. Messenger says it down so I can't talk to her now and ask. Her email address are in her posts. Find one and click Reply To Sender.

"Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message news:OlR0duEhFHA.1612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I have already done that, read my original post.
> Thank you.
>
> --
> Kenfucious said:
>
> Michael Jackson has been vindicated.
>
> The truth is one, you must accept it. Reality is not a point of view, since
> if everything was a point a view, then the theory that everything is a point
> of view, is just a point a view and not something real.
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> Send her email, 99% of the world does. You should be able to guess her
> address, but if too silly, then look on her web site.
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/mailto_xp.htm
> "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
>> Oh Sharon thank you very much for that info...
>>
>> if you know of a way I can get in contact with Kelly Theriot
>>
>> please send me an email to:
>>
>> kenny.open[removethis]@gmail.com
>>
>> It is kind of important.. I hope she is well.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Kenfucious said:
>>
>> Michael Jackson has been vindicated.
>>
>> The truth is one, you must accept it. Reality is not a point of view,
>> since
>> if everything was a point a view, then the theory that everything is a
>> point
>> of view, is just a point a view and not something real.
>> "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message

>>> Kenny, it's not the same Kelly.
>>> --
>>> Sharon F
>>> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

And idiot you snipped the original post so how the f would I see it.

I snipped nothing. I am not an idiot.

--

And idiot you snipped the original post so how the f would I see it.

"Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
>I have already done that, read my original post.
> Thank you.
>
> --
> Kenfucious said:
>
> Michael Jackson has been vindicated.
>
> The truth is one, you must accept it. Reality is not a point of view,
> since
> if everything was a point a view, then the theory that everything is a
> point
> of view, is just a point a view and not something real.
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> Send her email, 99% of the world does. You should be able to guess her
> address, but if too silly, then look on her web site.
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/mailto_xp.htm
> "Kenny S" <hotmail@coldmail.com> wrote in message
>> Oh Sharon thank you very much for that info...
>>
>> if you know of a way I can get in contact with Kelly Theriot
>>
>> please send me an email to:
>>
>> kenny.open[removethis]@gmail.com
>>
>> It is kind of important.. I hope she is well.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Kenfucious said:
>>
>> Michael Jackson has been vindicated.
>>
>> The truth is one, you must accept it. Reality is not a point of view,
>> since
>> if everything was a point a view, then the theory that everything is a
>> point
>> of view, is just a point a view and not something real.
>> "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message

>>> Kenny, it's not the same Kelly.
>>> --
>>> Sharon F
>>> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

I've tried to contact her. She comes online then goes offline 2 secs later. I sent her mail too. I think she's busy at the moment. She gets lots of mail a day.