Age of Mythology

Last response: in Video Games
Share
June 12, 2005 9:58:02 AM

I have installed the game for my son. He does not have adminstrative rights
on his user and the game requires it. I made the shortcut as suggested on
Microsoft
webpage. When trying to play the game, each time it asks for the adminstrator
password. I am not always here to type in the the password. How do I get
around this? I am using windows 2000

More about : age mythology

Anonymous
June 12, 2005 8:17:51 PM

upgrade to windows server 2003

"Tina" <Tina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have installed the game for my son. He does not have adminstrative
rights
> on his user and the game requires it. I made the shortcut as suggested on
> Microsoft
> webpage. When trying to play the game, each time it asks for the
adminstrator
> password. I am not always here to type in the the password. How do I get
> around this? I am using windows 2000

June 12, 2005 10:39:11 PM

In news:4B064033-BE82-4866-A547-85F6DD8D33E1@microsoft.com,
Tina <Tina@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I have installed the game for my son. He does not have adminstrative
> rights on his user and the game requires it. I made the shortcut as
> suggested on Microsoft
> webpage. When trying to play the game, each time it asks for the
> adminstrator password. I am not always here to type in the the
> password. How do I get around this? I am using windows 2000

I'm not sure what the other person was implying but changing your OS to 2k3
wouldn't solve anything.

Right now I'm at a loss to know if 2k had simple file sharing and if it did
if it was on by default. If it doesn't head to the files for the game and
assign the permissions by right clicking, selecting properties, and clicking
on the security tab. You can then give either his group or him access to the
game with read/write permissions. You may need to do so to the entire folder
and then create shortcuts (you probably already have one) to the game's exe
file. You should be able allow them access that way though according to this
site:

http://www.coolweblog.com/bilodeau/archives/001251.html

The readme states that you must have admin rights though I'd still try the
above just to see if it works.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes
Related resources
June 19, 2005 8:55:01 AM

I tried this and it still doesn't work. I have made his user just about
everything and added all permissions possible and STILL I get the message
about needing administrative rights. I can't imagine why anyone would create
a game that only restricted users can play.

"Galen" wrote:

> In news:4B064033-BE82-4866-A547-85F6DD8D33E1@microsoft.com,
> Tina <Tina@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> > I have installed the game for my son. He does not have adminstrative
> > rights on his user and the game requires it. I made the shortcut as
> > suggested on Microsoft
> > webpage. When trying to play the game, each time it asks for the
> > adminstrator password. I am not always here to type in the the
> > password. How do I get around this? I am using windows 2000
>
> I'm not sure what the other person was implying but changing your OS to 2k3
> wouldn't solve anything.
>
> Right now I'm at a loss to know if 2k had simple file sharing and if it did
> if it was on by default. If it doesn't head to the files for the game and
> assign the permissions by right clicking, selecting properties, and clicking
> on the security tab. You can then give either his group or him access to the
> game with read/write permissions. You may need to do so to the entire folder
> and then create shortcuts (you probably already have one) to the game's exe
> file. You should be able allow them access that way though according to this
> site:
>
> http://www.coolweblog.com/bilodeau/archives/001251.html
>
> The readme states that you must have admin rights though I'd still try the
> above just to see if it works.
>

> Galen
> --
>
> "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
> with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
> very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
> made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
>
> Sherlock Holmes

Anonymous
June 21, 2005 1:25:08 AM

upgrade to xp then

> I tried this and it still doesn't work. I have made his user just about
> everything and added all permissions possible and STILL I get the message
> about needing administrative rights. I can't imagine why anyone would
create
> a game that only restricted users can play.
>
> "Galen" wrote:
>
> > In news:4B064033-BE82-4866-A547-85F6DD8D33E1@microsoft.com,
> > Tina <Tina@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:
> >
> > My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
> >
> > > I have installed the game for my son. He does not have adminstrative
> > > rights on his user and the game requires it. I made the shortcut as
> > > suggested on Microsoft
> > > webpage. When trying to play the game, each time it asks for the
> > > adminstrator password. I am not always here to type in the the
> > > password. How do I get around this? I am using windows 2000
> >
> > I'm not sure what the other person was implying but changing your OS to
2k3
> > wouldn't solve anything.
> >
> > Right now I'm at a loss to know if 2k had simple file sharing and if it
did
> > if it was on by default. If it doesn't head to the files for the game
and
> > assign the permissions by right clicking, selecting properties, and
clicking
> > on the security tab. You can then give either his group or him access to
the
> > game with read/write permissions. You may need to do so to the entire
folder
> > and then create shortcuts (you probably already have one) to the game's
exe
> > file. You should be able allow them access that way though according to
this
> > site:
> >
> > http://www.coolweblog.com/bilodeau/archives/001251.html
> >
> > The readme states that you must have admin rights though I'd still try
the
> > above just to see if it works.
> >

> > Galen
> > --
> >
> > "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
> > with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
> > very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
> > made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
> >
> > Sherlock Holmes

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 1:16:47 AM

If you are good with computers than you could see what would happen if you
gave your son access to the files in the registry (Can't guarrentee this
working, but worth a try)

Just right-click the registry values related to your sons game and go to
permissions. Then add your son's username into the list and give it FULL
ACCESS

Although i can't guarrantee success in Win 2K you can also find the file
folders related to your son's game and do the same process for these folders

If this fails to work please reply and see if there is anything else

Jayso

Good in Home Networking, XP Home based problems, and Pro based Problems
Add my email to MSN Messenger if u wish:
jayso_chinnery@spamfreehotmail.com.au (remove spamfree)

"Tina" <Tina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have installed the game for my son. He does not have adminstrative rights
> on his user and the game requires it. I made the shortcut as suggested on
> Microsoft
> webpage. When trying to play the game, each time it asks for the
> adminstrator
> password. I am not always here to type in the the password. How do I get
> around this? I am using windows 2000

June 25, 2005 11:51:02 AM

I've added full control permissions to the folders already and it didn't
work. I

!