Age of Mythology

I have installed the game for my son. He does not have adminstrative rights
on his user and the game requires it. I made the shortcut as suggested on
Microsoft
webpage. When trying to play the game, each time it asks for the adminstrator
password. I am not always here to type in the the password. How do I get
around this? I am using windows 2000
6 answers Last reply
More about mythology

    upgrade to windows server 2003

    In news:4B064033-BE82-4866-A547-85F6DD8D33E1@microsoft.com,
    Tina <Tina@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > I have installed the game for my son. He does not have adminstrative
    > rights on his user and the game requires it. I made the shortcut as
    > suggested on Microsoft
    > webpage. When trying to play the game, each time it asks for the
    > adminstrator password. I am not always here to type in the the
    > password. How do I get around this? I am using windows 2000

    I'm not sure what the other person was implying but changing your OS to 2k3
    wouldn't solve anything.

    Right now I'm at a loss to know if 2k had simple file sharing and if it did
    if it was on by default. If it doesn't head to the files for the game and
    assign the permissions by right clicking, selecting properties, and clicking
    on the security tab. You can then give either his group or him access to the
    game with read/write permissions. You may need to do so to the entire folder
    and then create shortcuts (you probably already have one) to the game's exe
    file. You should be able allow them access that way though according to this
    site:

    http://www.coolweblog.com/bilodeau/archives/001251.html

    The readme states that you must have admin rights though I'd still try the
    above just to see if it works.

    Galen

    Sherlock Holmes
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    I tried this and it still doesn't work. I have made his user just about
    everything and added all permissions possible and STILL I get the message
    about needing administrative rights. I can't imagine why anyone would create
    a game that only restricted users can play.

    "Galen" wrote:

    > In news:4B064033-BE82-4866-A547-85F6DD8D33E1@microsoft.com,
    > Tina <Tina@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > > I have installed the game for my son. He does not have adminstrative
    > > rights on his user and the game requires it. I made the shortcut as
    > > suggested on Microsoft
    > > webpage. When trying to play the game, each time it asks for the
    > > adminstrator password. I am not always here to type in the the
    > > password. How do I get around this? I am using windows 2000
    >
    > I'm not sure what the other person was implying but changing your OS to 2k3
    > wouldn't solve anything.
    >
    > Right now I'm at a loss to know if 2k had simple file sharing and if it did
    > if it was on by default. If it doesn't head to the files for the game and
    > assign the permissions by right clicking, selecting properties, and clicking
    > on the security tab. You can then give either his group or him access to the
    > game with read/write permissions. You may need to do so to the entire folder
    > and then create shortcuts (you probably already have one) to the game's exe
    > file. You should be able allow them access that way though according to this
    > site:
    >
    > http://www.coolweblog.com/bilodeau/archives/001251.html
    >
    > The readme states that you must have admin rights though I'd still try the
    > above just to see if it works.
    >

    > Galen
    > --
    >
    > "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
    > with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
    > very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
    > made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
    >
    > Sherlock Holmes

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    upgrade to xp then

    > I tried this and it still doesn't work. I have made his user just about
    > everything and added all permissions possible and STILL I get the message
    > about needing administrative rights. I can't imagine why anyone would
    create
    > a game that only restricted users can play.
    >
    > "Galen" wrote:
    >
    > > In news:4B064033-BE82-4866-A547-85F6DD8D33E1@microsoft.com,
    > > Tina <Tina@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:
    > >
    > > My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
    > >
    > > > I have installed the game for my son. He does not have adminstrative
    > > > rights on his user and the game requires it. I made the shortcut as
    > > > suggested on Microsoft
    > > > webpage. When trying to play the game, each time it asks for the
    > > > adminstrator password. I am not always here to type in the the
    > > > password. How do I get around this? I am using windows 2000
    > >
    > > I'm not sure what the other person was implying but changing your OS to
    2k3
    > > wouldn't solve anything.
    > >
    > > Right now I'm at a loss to know if 2k had simple file sharing and if it
    did
    > > if it was on by default. If it doesn't head to the files for the game
    and
    > > assign the permissions by right clicking, selecting properties, and
    clicking
    > > on the security tab. You can then give either his group or him access to
    the
    > > game with read/write permissions. You may need to do so to the entire
    folder
    > > and then create shortcuts (you probably already have one) to the game's
    exe
    > > file. You should be able allow them access that way though according to
    this
    > > site:
    > >
    > > http://www.coolweblog.com/bilodeau/archives/001251.html
    > >
    > > The readme states that you must have admin rights though I'd still try
    the
    > > above just to see if it works.
    > >

    > > Galen
    > > --
    > >
    > > "And that recommendation, with the exaggerated estimate of my ability
    > > with which he prefaced it, was, if you will believe me, Watson, the
    > > very first thing which ever made me feel that a profession might be
    > > made out of what had up to that time been the merest hobby."
    > >
    > > Sherlock Holmes

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    If you are good with computers than you could see what would happen if you
    gave your son access to the files in the registry (Can't guarrentee this
    working, but worth a try)

    Just right-click the registry values related to your sons game and go to
    permissions. Then add your son's username into the list and give it FULL
    ACCESS

    Although i can't guarrantee success in Win 2K you can also find the file
    folders related to your son's game and do the same process for these folders

    If this fails to work please reply and see if there is anything else

    Jayso

    Good in Home Networking, XP Home based problems, and Pro based Problems
    Add my email to MSN Messenger if u wish:
    jayso_chinnery@spamfreehotmail.com.au (remove spamfree)

    "Tina" <Tina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have installed the game for my son. He does not have adminstrative rights
    > on his user and the game requires it. I made the shortcut as suggested on
    > Microsoft
    > webpage. When trying to play the game, each time it asks for the
    > adminstrator
    > password. I am not always here to type in the the password. How do I get
    > around this? I am using windows 2000

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    I've added full control permissions to the folders already and it didn't
    work. I

    "Jayso" wrote:

    > If you are good with computers than you could see what would happen if you
    > gave your son access to the files in the registry (Can't guarrentee this
    > working, but worth a try)
    >
    > Just right-click the registry values related to your sons game and go to
    > permissions. Then add your son's username into the list and give it FULL
    > ACCESS
    >
    > Although i can't guarrantee success in Win 2K you can also find the file
    > folders related to your son's game and do the same process for these folders
    >
    > If this fails to work please reply and see if there is anything else

    > Jayso
    >
    > Good in Home Networking, XP Home based problems, and Pro based Problems
    > Add my email to MSN Messenger if u wish:
    > jayso_chinnery@spamfreehotmail.com.au (remove spamfree)
    >
    > "Tina" <Tina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I have installed the game for my son. He does not have adminstrative rights
    > > on his user and the game requires it. I made the shortcut as suggested on
    > > Microsoft
    > > webpage. When trying to play the game, each time it asks for the
    > > adminstrator
    > > password. I am not always here to type in the the password. How do I get
    > > around this? I am using windows 2000

Windows 2000 Games Microsoft Video Games