Sign in with
Your question

samsung 226bw recommended settings

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 28, 2007 10:26:51 PM

i just recently upgraded to this from a ViewSonic VX922 19". Games and the desktop look fine, however when i go into my 10 megapixel to edit the black apear to be really grainy. is there a way to fix this or was my ViewSonic VX922 19" superior in this aspect? Thanks......
March 29, 2007 2:03:21 AM

Grainy, as in noise? Could it be that you are just seeing noise in your picture for the first time, whereas the VX922 was not adjusted good enough to show such detail?
March 29, 2007 2:07:28 AM

im pretty sure its the monitor. The pictures in the dark areas get blocky. Same with when i run C&C 3 in the begining.

Im takin pictures with my canon XTI rebel. Just wonderin what other people have their monitor configured to....
Related resources
March 29, 2007 4:08:23 AM

Can you upload some of the camera pictures that show the problem? (not a picture of the monitor, but the pictures that you notice the problem in).
Also, how does a solid gradient look or a solid black?
March 30, 2007 12:25:53 PM

Quote:
The pictures in the dark areas get blocky.

"Grainy", "blocky"... are you refering to pixelation?

Otherwise, if you are refering to banding in the dark & grey shades, it may be that you have your gamma / contrast settings too high.

If you are referring more to a cloudy look in the blacks, then this is a trait of the panel (vs. CRT, anyways) and again, may be less noticable if your adjust your contrast / gamma.

Rough rule of thumb:

1. Go into your Display settings -> graphics card drivers and set the colors / gamma settings to their defaults.

2. Then find a greyscale map (Each review at www.dpreview.com has one)

3. Adjust your room lighting like it will be 85% of the time.

4. Turn the monitor's contrast all the way up.

5. Adjust the monitor's brightness settings until black is really black, without loosing sight of the first dark-grey bar.

6. Now adjust the contrast so that the first grey bar next to the white is not pure white (so that you are not loosing highlight detail).

The above should at least roughly adjust your monitor to display the greyscale as best as possible. If you are still not happy with your blacks, then look for a "movie" or "games" setting in the OSD. This will hike up the contrst levels - something you don''t want for text work, but will love for gaming, movies, etc.

Let us know how it goes :) 

P.S. (aka edit...)

From Trusted Reviews:

"In our DisplayMate test, the 226BW put in a very good performance; so long as the extreme Dynamic Contrast mode wasn’t used. Colours were vivid without being overdone and colour fading was excellent. There was a hint of banding in the 256 Intensity Level Colour Ramp test but it was only really evident with the Dynamic Contrast mode."
March 30, 2007 4:03:26 PM

could you send me the link to the grayscale map on dpreview?

thanks.....
March 30, 2007 4:37:56 PM

Quote:
could you send me the link to the grayscale map on dpreview?

thanks.....

Can you provide a sample image that shows the problem? That is the quickest way to tell you what is really going on.
March 30, 2007 5:36:44 PM

I just get issues with pictures mainly. If you look in the bottom of the pic you'll see what im talking about. I know it isn't my SLR camera. The same pictures on my last monitor didn't look horrible like this.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y76/nphield/Untitled-2...

Hey thanks again for helpin me out i really appreciate it!!!!
March 30, 2007 6:52:12 PM

Quote:
I just get issues with pictures mainly. If you look in the bottom of the pic you'll see what im talking about. I know it isn't my SLR camera. The same pictures on my last monitor didn't look horrible like this.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y76/nphield/Untitled-2...

Hey thanks again for helpin me out i really appreciate it!!!!

Looks like the picture is fine. I see very subtle noise from the low lighting conditions and in that light at the bottom, left but nothing out of the ordinary. So, in real life the picture is looking worse 'eh? Is your digital camera able to capture the problem if you take a screenshot of the screen with that picture you just showed?
March 30, 2007 6:54:57 PM

i've come to the conclusion that this monitor isn't as sharp as my last.....
March 30, 2007 11:47:44 PM

Quote:
i've come to the conclusion that this monitor isn't as sharp as my last.....

Are you able to capture an example of the problem as you see it using your digital camera?
March 31, 2007 2:42:47 AM

thats a screen shot....there shouldnt' be any difference between a screen shot and real life....that is what it looks like
March 31, 2007 3:41:56 AM

You said that there was a problem with your monitor. I cannot see the problem with a screenshot from your computer. A screenshot from your computer only shows me what the computer is telling the monitor to display; it does not show me what the monitor actually displays (and what you see). I can only tell that by seeing it in person or your taking a picture of what the monitor is showing.
March 31, 2007 3:45:02 AM

good point. I stand corrected.......workin on that picture
March 31, 2007 3:10:07 PM

Quote:
link to the grayscale map

Sorry for the delay...

Here's a sample of their new dynamic range test and it's nothing short of a killer of a test. The scale has 40 shades of grey from pure white to pure black and on my HW-calibrated P-MVA panel, I', able to discern only the shades from 10 to 29... .If that sounds short of the mark, my old 17" Samsung 700p CRT only manages 10 to 28... 8O

Aside from this grueling test, a more reasonable greyscale can be had by using Nokia's NTEST. Most of the tests (such as geometry, convergence, etc.) are for CRTs but there is a contrast test as well as primary colors (good for dead/stuck pixel hunting).
March 31, 2007 3:42:46 PM

Quote:
link to the grayscale map

Sorry for the delay...

Here's a sample of their new dynamic range test and it's nothing short of a killer of a test. The scale has 40 shades of grey from pure white to pure black and on my HW-calibrated P-MVA panel, I', able to discern only the shades from 10 to 29... .If that sounds short of the mark, my old 17" Samsung 700p CRT only manages 10 to 28... 8O

If you copy the image to an image editor, you'll notice that this image is not a true greyscale map. It is intentially clipped off at both ends; the problem is not the monitor, but the image itself. From 0-10, the image is 100% white; From 32-41, the shades are within 5 points of black.
On the other hand, the page you linked to does show that the cameras are unable to capture the full range of shades.
March 31, 2007 5:57:33 PM

What I see:
*) Blockiness of green area - normal MPEG compression
*) Noise throughout entire picture - possible MPEG compression and/or digital camera noise
*) Bluer color at bottom screen - indicative that this is a TN panel with limited viewing angles and/or color shift/bleedthrough issues due to viewing angles

However, I would need a digital camera picture of the screenshot you showed me earlier to be able to tell if there is a problem with your monitor or whether you are just seeing the image correctly.
April 2, 2007 4:29:37 PM

I have the SAME exact problem with the SAME exact monitor. Those pictures don't do the problem any justice, as the actual motion of that opening graphic of CnC3 magnifies the problem and it looks absolutely HORRIBLE! I came here looking for help for the same problem with the 226bw.

I have to ask, though, nphield, does your monitor have an issue with the power cord insert on the back of the monitor? I have to adjust mine quite often to get rid of a line of dead pixels across the center, or even worse a completely frozen, green and white screen. After wiggling the power cord it rights itself.

I actually had the power problem with one monitor, returned it to the store and got a new one with the same exact problem.
April 2, 2007 4:56:51 PM

I haven't had that issue with the power cord. I just wish there was someone out there that could reccomend optimal settings.. Let me know if you find a solution
April 2, 2007 5:23:24 PM

I just read up a bit on the difference between the 226bw A or S panels. From my understanding, samsung sent out the first batch as S or Samsung-made panels, then switched to a cheaper "A" panel which is of a lower quality. Check the model number on the back of your monitor, mine says 226bw A, so it seems I got a cheaper one.

Can someone clear this up for me or confirm/deny that the A panel would be the reason behind the bad picture?
April 2, 2007 6:12:38 PM

Quote:
I haven't had that issue with the power cord. I just wish there was someone out there that could reccomend optimal settings.. Let me know if you find a solution

What kind of settings are you looking for?

Also, I need two pictures to tell what the problem is that you are having:
1 - a screenshot where you most notice the problem
2 - a camera picture of that exact same scene and exact same frame (if a movie) of what you see on the monitor. Pictures of a movie is probably not recommended unless you can pause the movie so you can take a screenshot and picture of the same frame -- or maybe if it was a video that was freely available on the net.

Without a screenshot of the same picture you take with a digital camera, I can't tell what your screen is supposed to look like (and thus which problems are the monitor and which are the image).
April 2, 2007 6:40:45 PM

Quote:
then switched to a cheaper "A" panel which is of a lower quality.

Cheaper ...Probably. Lower quality ...says who?

Can you please post a link to a reputable Reviewer (site) that proclaims this, backed by proof (through tests)?
April 2, 2007 6:48:40 PM

Quote:
I just wish there was someone out there that could recommend optimal settings...

Did you even bother to try setting your black and white points...?
a b Ô Samsung
April 2, 2007 9:39:26 PM

Generally, you will not be able to tell until you actually purchase the monitor and inspect the manufacturer's sticker on the back of the monitor behind the connection panel.
April 3, 2007 3:39:08 PM

The only way to tell is if you look at the sticker on the back of the monitor. It will say, "226BW A" or "226BW S." My other monitor, a samsung 940bf, is an S model and I've never had a problem with it.

As for linking a reputable site with "proof," I'm operating under opinions of myself and many others from several other forums. From my experience and comparing the reviews/reports coming from people with the S and A panels, I've come to my own conclusion that there is an issue of quality.

Anyways, I took mine back to the store yesterday for a full refund, I'm going to try out the comparable LG model soon, I'll let you know how that does for me.
April 3, 2007 5:28:17 PM

why are you returning your 22inch samsung?
April 4, 2007 3:52:51 PM

My 22 inch was the samsung A panel, I took it back because it was a piece of junk with a terrible picture and a faulty power insert. I picked up the LG 22 inch model and the quality is outstanding! I don't get that pixelated effect from the CnC3 opening graphic anymore, and my dark images look perfect.

The S panel monitor I mentioned is my 19" 940bf, and I'm keepin that one, it's a sweet monitor.
April 4, 2007 4:49:01 PM

i got mine from new egg. There is no way to return it is there?
a b Ô Samsung
April 4, 2007 9:47:18 PM

Quote:
i got mine from new egg. There is no way to return it is there?

Not unless you can give a good reason why. Otherwise you'll get hit with a 15% re-stocking fee.
a b Ô Samsung
April 4, 2007 11:55:41 PM

Quote:
That's why you buy from best buy/cc first, because with a reciept you can always claim anything...

Unfortunately brick and mortor stores don't always carry the monitors people want to buy. For example, I am considering the BenQ FP241WZ and the Planar PX2611W which are not carried by any store in NYC.
!