SATA Raptor Question

Blasphemy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
Please excuse any spelling or grammar errors, as I am extremely tired from spending 11 hours building a computer that has been in the works for months. Before I boot everything up, I need a question answered that is bugging me. First of all, here is my hardware:

MSI Neo2 Platinum s939
AMD Athlon 3500+ with Swiftech 4600-V
1GB Corsair XMS 3200XL
Western Digital Raptor 74GB
Antec Neopower 480Watt PSU
Samsung Combo Drive
Radeon 9700 Pro

Okay, so here's my problem. I want to use my Raptor as the boot drive but I want to know if Windows will have a problem during the installation because it is a SATA drive. I know that you have to install special drivers for a *RAID Array* but I am not going to be using that drive in a RAID, I'm just using it as a normal boot drive. Does that mean that even though it's the only SATA drive, that I will still need to install the RAID drivers before I install windows? Thanks for any help.

----------------------------------------------------
AMD Athlon XP 2100+ stock
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
1GB generic RAM
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 360/335

Blasphemy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
Oh and another question, there is a molex connector on the back of the drive as well as the SATA power connector. I don't get it...why would they have a molex connector AND a SATA power connector? You only need to install the SATA power connector and not the molex too right? Very confusing.

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
1GB generic RAM

Blasphemy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2004
I'm sorry, I answered my 2nd question. Only one needs to be plugged in, both will damage the drive.

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
1GB generic RAM

Yeah you only need to plug in one power connector to the drive. In your BIOS if you have an option set your SATA to BASE and not RAID. When installing windows you have to hit F6 to install the (Windows install says RAID or SCSI) SATA drivers (Most boards consider SATA, SCSI). The SATA drivers should either come with your motherboard, or you can download them from the motherboard manufacturer. Once you have the drivers on a floppy, all you have to do is hit F6 and follow the instructions in the windows install. Your BIOS must be set to boot from the SATA drive, for the Windows installtion to complete when it reboots.

Also if you have any other IDE drives, I would unplug them until Windows is up and running. This will ensure that the SATA ends up being C: and not D:.

My Desktop: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html</A>