Gaming and Router Question

From: "thunderstruck_302" <thunderstruck302@discussions.microsoft.com>

| Just double checking before I wire my house. I set up my ps2 at one end of
| the house by my tv, and the modem by my comp. at the other end of the house.
| I am going to run an ethernet wire through the cieleng and wall, then put
the
| ethernet jack into the wall (like a phone jack), so that basically, I have
an
| ethernet jack, that I can plug into with my ps2. Then I will buy a router.
| Now what do I do with the other end of the ethernet wire (the one closer to
| the modem) The only other thing I know is that I have to put a short
ethernet
| wire between my ps2 (the ethernet port on it) and the ethernet jack on the
| wall close by. Also, I'm not sure what to do with the router.. Any help
would
| be greatly appreciated. thank you.

Your ISP is Bell sympatico but I can't tell if you are DSL or Cable.

Cable or Telephone wire from ISP goes to modem. CAT5 twisted-pair Ethwernet
cable goes from
modem to WAN port of Router. The computers and PS2 connect to the LAN ports
of the Router.
I'll assume that you'll get a Router such as the Linksys BEFSR41 that has a
4-port
10/100MB/s Ether switch. The computers and PS2 are connected to those LAN
ports. Router
settings will be dependent upon if you are on DSL or Cbale especially if is
DSL using
PPPoE.

As always, I suggest blocking TCP and UDP ports 135 ~ 139 and 445 on *any*
SOHO Router.

Sry, i had to renew this thread in order to get replies.
Ok, when you say CAT 5 twisted-pair ethernet cable, is that some special
kind of ethernet cable that I have to get? Or is it just a fancy name? And
also, going from the router to the ps2... Would it work/Should I put an
ethernet jack in the comp. room, and hook up the ethernet cable from the LAN
port of the router to the jack? Im not sure what that would do... Would it
feed that signal TOO the ps2? or would it not work at all. I know that you
usually only feed the ethernet signal through TOO a jack and thats where it
comes out.

Its confusing I know, but im not sure of any other way to explain it.
Thnx. ohh. and im using dsl.
1 answer Last reply
More about gaming router question

    easier to tell if i put it this way... 2 types of wires, 1 of them are the
    normal ones that both ends looks the same the way that the colors are
    layout from left to right. the 2nd type, one end will look like the regular
    wires, but the other end doesn't. so that's how u tell.

    if router has no special wan port
    modem > special wire > router lan port

    if router has a special wan port
    modem > regular wire > router wan port

    if wire is going from router stright to ps2
    router lan port > regular wire > ps2

    if wire is going from router to wall w/ face plate/jack
    router lan port > special wire (regular end) > wall plate/jack (special end)

    if wire is going from wall to ps2
    wall > regular wire > ps2

    when you go buy the router, ask the sale person to sit down w/ you for a bit
    to properly explain to you. they'll have illustration or short instructions
    to teach you what you need to do to get it done right. go to those big big
    hardware stores like lowes or what ever.

    :) goodluck

    "thunderstruck_302" <thunderstruck302@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:2D332BA0-62B4-4EDB-9772-6BBFA0D702B9@microsoft.com...
    > From: "thunderstruck_302" <thunderstruck302@discussions.microsoft.com>
    >
    > | Just double checking before I wire my house. I set up my ps2 at one end
    > of
    > | the house by my tv, and the modem by my comp. at the other end of the
    > house.
    > | I am going to run an ethernet wire through the cieleng and wall, then
    > put
    > the
    > | ethernet jack into the wall (like a phone jack), so that basically, I
    > have
    > an
    > | ethernet jack, that I can plug into with my ps2. Then I will buy a
    > router.
    > | Now what do I do with the other end of the ethernet wire (the one closer
    > | the modem) The only other thing I know is that I have to put a short
    > ethernet
    > | wire between my ps2 (the ethernet port on it) and the ethernet jack on
    > the
    > | wall close by. Also, I'm not sure what to do with the router.. Any help
    > would
    > | be greatly appreciated. thank you.
    >
    > Your ISP is Bell sympatico but I can't tell if you are DSL or Cable.
    >
    > Cable or Telephone wire from ISP goes to modem. CAT5 twisted-pair
    > Ethwernet
    > cable goes from
    > modem to WAN port of Router. The computers and PS2 connect to the LAN
    > ports
    > of the Router.
    > I'll assume that you'll get a Router such as the Linksys BEFSR41 that has
    > 4-port
    > 10/100MB/s Ether switch. The computers and PS2 are connected to those LAN
    > ports. Router
    > settings will be dependent upon if you are on DSL or Cbale especially if
    > is
    > DSL using
    > PPPoE.
    >
    > As always, I suggest blocking TCP and UDP ports 135 ~ 139 and 445 on *any*
    > SOHO Router.
    >

    > Sry, i had to renew this thread in order to get replies.
    > Ok, when you say CAT 5 twisted-pair ethernet cable, is that some special
    > kind of ethernet cable that I have to get? Or is it just a fancy name? And
    > also, going from the router to the ps2... Would it work/Should I put an
    > ethernet jack in the comp. room, and hook up the ethernet cable from the
    > LAN
    > port of the router to the jack? Im not sure what that would do... Would it
    > feed that signal TOO the ps2? or would it not work at all. I know that you
    > usually only feed the ethernet signal through TOO a jack and thats where
    > it
    > comes out.
    >
    > Its confusing I know, but im not sure of any other way to explain it.
    > Thnx. ohh. and im using dsl.

Routers Ethernet Card PlayStation Windows XP