Volume Icon has disappeared from Taskbar

The volume icon no longer appears on my taskbar for some reason. I have to
go to control panel to adjust my speaker volume. This is very inconvenient.
When I select sounds and audio devices properties within the control panel I
see that 'Place Volume Icon in the Taskbar' is selected. How do I restore
the volume control function to the taskbar?

As a related question, I have an icon on the taskbar for a wireless mouse
and keyboard, which I uninstalled and threw away because the mouse was so
jittery. How do I get rid of this annoying and useless taskbar icon?
--
JerryInBonhamTexas
8 answers Last reply

    For the Volume Control, right click on the Desktop | Properties | Customize.
    Find the icon and change the behavior to Always Show.
    --
    Bruce Hagen
    MS-MVP - (IE/OE)

    "JerryI" <JerryI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The volume icon no longer appears on my taskbar for some reason. I have
    > go to control panel to adjust my speaker volume. This is very
    > inconvenient.
    > When I select sounds and audio devices properties within the control panel
    > see that 'Place Volume Icon in the Taskbar' is selected. How do I restore
    > the volume control function to the taskbar?
    >
    > As a related question, I have an icon on the taskbar for a wireless mouse
    > and keyboard, which I uninstalled and threw away because the mouse was so
    > jittery. How do I get rid of this annoying and useless taskbar icon?
    > --
    > JerryInBonhamTexas

    Hi Jerry,

    Remove past items from the notification area (line 53, left column)

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    http://www.mvps.org

    In memory of Alex Nichol

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "JerryI" <JerryI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The volume icon no longer appears on my taskbar for some reason. I have to
    > go to control panel to adjust my speaker volume. This is very inconvenient.
    > When I select sounds and audio devices properties within the control panel I
    > see that 'Place Volume Icon in the Taskbar' is selected. How do I restore
    > the volume control function to the taskbar?
    >
    > As a related question, I have an icon on the taskbar for a wireless mouse
    > and keyboard, which I uninstalled and threw away because the mouse was so
    > jittery. How do I get rid of this annoying and useless taskbar icon?
    > --
    > JerryInBonhamTexas

    Sorry: I don't know what you mean by right click on the
    DeskTop|Properties|Customize

    Where am I supposed start right clicking. I don't know how to find what you
    refer to. If I go to windows explorer and right click on desktop and then
    click on desktop options I see some icons, but none for the volume control.
    Anyway, I'm not looking for desktop icons, I'm looking for the little volume
    icon that used to be in the lower corner of my screen in what I always
    thought was called the taskbar.

    JerryInBonhamTexas

    "Bruce Hagen" wrote:

    > For the Volume Control, right click on the Desktop | Properties | Customize.
    > Find the icon and change the behavior to Always Show.
    > --
    > Bruce Hagen
    > MS-MVP - (IE/OE)
    > ~IB-CA~
    >
    > "JerryI" <JerryI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > The volume icon no longer appears on my taskbar for some reason. I have
    > > go to control panel to adjust my speaker volume. This is very
    > > inconvenient.
    > > When I select sounds and audio devices properties within the control panel
    > > see that 'Place Volume Icon in the Taskbar' is selected. How do I restore
    > > the volume control function to the taskbar?
    > >
    > > As a related question, I have an icon on the taskbar for a wireless mouse
    > > and keyboard, which I uninstalled and threw away because the mouse was so
    > > jittery. How do I get rid of this annoying and useless taskbar icon?
    > > --
    > > JerryInBonhamTexas

    Excuse me. Meant to say Taskbar, not Desktop. Right click on the Taskbar |
    Properties | Customize. Then locate the Volume Control icon and change the
    behavior to Always Show.
    --

    > Sorry: I don't know what you mean by right click on the
    > DeskTop|Properties|Customize
    >
    > Where am I supposed start right clicking. I don't know how to find what
    > you
    > refer to. If I go to windows explorer and right click on desktop and then
    > click on desktop options I see some icons, but none for the volume
    > control.
    > Anyway, I'm not looking for desktop icons, I'm looking for the little
    > volume
    > icon that used to be in the lower corner of my screen in what I always
    > thought was called the taskbar.
    >
    > JerryInBonhamTexas
    >

    > "Bruce Hagen" wrote:
    >
    >> For the Volume Control, right click on the Desktop | Properties |
    >> Customize.
    >> Find the icon and change the behavior to Always Show.
    >> --
    >> Bruce Hagen
    >> MS-MVP - (IE/OE)
    >> ~IB-CA~
    >>
    >> "JerryI" <JerryI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > The volume icon no longer appears on my taskbar for some reason. I
    >> > have
    >> > go to control panel to adjust my speaker volume. This is very
    >> > inconvenient.
    >> > When I select sounds and audio devices properties within the control
    >> > panel
    >> > see that 'Place Volume Icon in the Taskbar' is selected. How do I
    >> > restore
    >> > the volume control function to the taskbar?
    >> >
    >> > As a related question, I have an icon on the taskbar for a wireless
    >> > mouse
    >> > and keyboard, which I uninstalled and threw away because the mouse was
    >> > so
    >> > jittery. How do I get rid of this annoying and useless taskbar icon?
    >> > --
    >> > JerryInBonhamTexas

    you do know where your desk top is, don't you? Right click on it, there
    will be a drop down menu, choose properties there. ON the desk top, just
    pick a blank spot somewhere there.

    "JerryI" <JerryI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Sorry: I don't know what you mean by right click on the
    > DeskTop|Properties|Customize
    >
    > Where am I supposed start right clicking. I don't know how to find what
    > you
    > refer to. If I go to windows explorer and right click on desktop and then
    > click on desktop options I see some icons, but none for the volume
    > control.
    > Anyway, I'm not looking for desktop icons, I'm looking for the little
    > volume
    > icon that used to be in the lower corner of my screen in what I always
    > thought was called the taskbar.
    >
    > JerryInBonhamTexas
    >

    > "Bruce Hagen" wrote:
    >
    >> For the Volume Control, right click on the Desktop | Properties |
    >> Customize.
    >> Find the icon and change the behavior to Always Show.
    >> --
    >> Bruce Hagen
    >> MS-MVP - (IE/OE)
    >> ~IB-CA~
    >>
    >> "JerryI" <JerryI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > The volume icon no longer appears on my taskbar for some reason. I
    >> > have
    >> > go to control panel to adjust my speaker volume. This is very
    >> > inconvenient.
    >> > When I select sounds and audio devices properties within the control
    >> > panel
    >> > see that 'Place Volume Icon in the Taskbar' is selected. How do I
    >> > restore
    >> > the volume control function to the taskbar?
    >> >
    >> > As a related question, I have an icon on the taskbar for a wireless
    >> > mouse
    >> > and keyboard, which I uninstalled and threw away because the mouse was
    >> > so
    >> > jittery. How do I get rid of this annoying and useless taskbar icon?
    >> > --
    >> > JerryInBonhamTexas

    That was my error, Jone. I told the OP to click on the Desktop, when I meant
    to say Taskbar.
    --
    Bruce Hagen
    MS-MVP - (IE/OE)

    "Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org> wrote in message
    > you do know where your desk top is, don't you? Right click on it, there
    > will be a drop down menu, choose properties there. ON the desk top, just
    > pick a blank spot somewhere there.
    >
    > "JerryI" <JerryI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> Sorry: I don't know what you mean by right click on the
    >> DeskTop|Properties|Customize
    >>
    >> Where am I supposed start right clicking. I don't know how to find what
    >> you
    >> refer to. If I go to windows explorer and right click on desktop and
    >> then
    >> click on desktop options I see some icons, but none for the volume
    >> control.
    >> Anyway, I'm not looking for desktop icons, I'm looking for the little
    >> volume
    >> icon that used to be in the lower corner of my screen in what I always
    >> thought was called the taskbar.
    >>
    >> JerryInBonhamTexas
    >>

    >> "Bruce Hagen" wrote:
    >>
    >>> For the Volume Control, right click on the Desktop | Properties |
    >>> Customize.
    >>> Find the icon and change the behavior to Always Show.
    >>> --
    >>> Bruce Hagen
    >>> MS-MVP - (IE/OE)
    >>> ~IB-CA~
    >>>
    >>> "JerryI" <JerryI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Just go into Control panel, Sound, and click the box "show icon on taskbar"
    Dick
    "JerryI" <JerryI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Sorry: I don't know what you mean by right click on the
    > DeskTop|Properties|Customize
    >
    > Where am I supposed start right clicking. I don't know how to find what
    > you
    > refer to. If I go to windows explorer and right click on desktop and then
    > click on desktop options I see some icons, but none for the volume
    > control.
    > Anyway, I'm not looking for desktop icons, I'm looking for the little
    > volume
    > icon that used to be in the lower corner of my screen in what I always
    > thought was called the taskbar.
    >
    > JerryInBonhamTexas
    >

    > "Bruce Hagen" wrote:
    >
    >> For the Volume Control, right click on the Desktop | Properties |
    >> Customize.
    >> Find the icon and change the behavior to Always Show.
    >> --
    >> Bruce Hagen
    >> MS-MVP - (IE/OE)
    >> ~IB-CA~
    >>
    >> "JerryI" <JerryI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > The volume icon no longer appears on my taskbar for some reason. I
    >> > have
    >> > go to control panel to adjust my speaker volume. This is very
    >> > inconvenient.
    >> > When I select sounds and audio devices properties within the control
    >> > panel
    >> > see that 'Place Volume Icon in the Taskbar' is selected. How do I
    >> > restore
    >> > the volume control function to the taskbar?
    >> >
    >> > As a related question, I have an icon on the taskbar for a wireless
    >> > mouse
    >> > and keyboard, which I uninstalled and threw away because the mouse was
    >> > so
    >> > jittery. How do I get rid of this annoying and useless taskbar icon?
    >> > --
    >> > JerryInBonhamTexas

    I have checked show icon on taskbar for sound and I have right clicked the
    taskbar and selected always show for the volume icon and I have selected
    don't show for the miserable wireless mouse and keyboard that I don't have
    and the taskbar doesn't change and even when I reboot, the miserable wireless
    mouse and keyboard icon appears on the taskbar and the volume icon does not.
    So far, none of the hints have helped.

    As a related item, how can I get the Bill Gates Windows theme song to quit
    blasting me out of the room every time I reboot. I want sound, but I don't
    ever want to hear this sound bite again.
    --
    JerryInBonhamTexas

Control Panel Taskbar Windows XP