good mobo for sata setup

tjchino

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2003
ok... i am interested in possibly switching over to sata disks, but i've been unimpressed so far with the ease of setup. does anyone know a motherboard manufacturer that has made it relatively straight forward?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
All major boardmakers have some products that are as easy to set up with SATA as standard PATA. It's the controller silly, on-chipset controllers can be configured in BIOS, detecting the drive like a traditional drive, with no need to load additional drivers to set up Windows.

For example, my board has the ICH5R SATA RAID controller built into the chipset, in NON-RAID mode by default, PLUS an ALi SATA/PATA RAID controller. So long as I attach my SATA drives to the ICH5R's ports rather than the ALi's, I don't need to use additional drivers to load windows. Were I to use the ALi controller I'd have to follow the F6 prompt and load drivers, but for the Intel controller I don't.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
Actually, they are all rather straightforward.
RTFM, hook up, install and use...