Monitoring fan speeds on dell xps m1710

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
i had some heat problems with my dell xps m 1710 laptop, the system shut down due to heat so i got a temp monitoring program and nxt time it did it ichecked the temp, the gpu toped out over 90.

I blew some canned air into the fans and that helped a lot, it didn't shut down after that but still got kinda hot so i had dell come out to open i t up and dust it, they also replaced the fans and h eatsink on the cpu (even though the gpu is what got hotter)

anyway I cant really tell if these new fans are working.. if they are they're way quieter than the old ones, i kinda dont wanat to stress t he system to test it out untill i know theyre actually working. I tried d.loading s ome differnt fan utility programs, both rivaturner and speed fan. Neither one would show any options for the fans in them. fanspeed was totally blank in that regard and rivaturner didn't seem to offer any options even when i checked the plugins

what gives? is there a better program out there than those 2? i tried most of the ones on this page

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=81852#nhc

im kinda concerned about this, dont want to start up a game and fry my system, it doesn't feel or sound like theyre really on, i just f eel a faint ammount of air off the left one. I need to check their speed and preferably set when they come on, i had read about people doing this with rivatuner before

help!

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
naw everest didn't work

well i got the I8k fan.. and it seems to work ok, a little bit buggy. Seems the fans just aren't turning on themselves early enough and for some reason the one on the right *where the gpu is* is turning off a lot. I dont know if thats the fan or just what the system is telling it to do in bios.. they really should let you set those paramaters, .

i can always force start them to max but they sound kinda uneven when i do, like they whir up to max and slow down slightly them back to max *shrug* temps are still geting to high 70's a little over 80 sometimes but no shutdowns yet. is that acceptable? sounds high to me. Honestly the gpu is layed out very poorly the fan on that side is smaller than the one on the left, youd think theyd want EXTRA fans there not less

Status
Not open for further replies.