I have over 37 meg of dtctrace logs. What are they for and can they be deleted?

Don

[[When background tracing is enabled, the DTC writes the trace data to a
binary log file on the local system. This binary file is located in
%systemroot%\system32\msdtc\trace\dtctrace.log. The maximum size of the log
file is 10 megabytes.

If you want to delete the log file for background tracing, you must first
stop the current tracing session. Reasons for deleting the trace log file
are to reclaim disk space or to force a backup of the current log file. ]]
Background Tracing
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cossdk/html/9be53720-2c5a-4928-a15b-3b104c55b158.asp

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:00FDFB70-A057-4D11-A4AA-0762D37F70CF@microsoft.com,
JustUs <JustUs@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I have over 37 meg of dtctrace logs. What are they for and can they be
> deleted?
>
> Don

This is a trace file logging the transactions of the SQL server or ODBC data
sources in your computer, you can delete it safely.

--
Kenrick Fu
MS MVP (IE/OE)

"JustUs" <JustUs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have over 37 meg of dtctrace logs. What are they for and can they be
>deleted?
>
> Don

"JustUs" <JustUs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have over 37 meg of dtctrace logs. What are they for and can they be
>deleted?
>
> Don

You might want to check and see if you've enabled a bit too much tracing.
Programs / Administrative Tools / Component Services
Click Component Services icon and expand it and then from there
Right Click the MyComputer icon and select properties.
Select the tab for MSDTC and you can then go to the tracing options and
perhaps uncheck tracing or just the trace all transactions option.

Thanks for the help - deleted :)

The main file was only a few meg. It was all the backups that took all the
space. There were over 1600 files.

Thanks again!!
All you MVPs are the Best!!