Migrating a raid

kcrush

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2004
I have raid 0 setup using the onboard raid of my Gigabyte ga-7vaxp. After turning my computer on recently my raid disappeared and it refuses to acknowledge any of my hard drives.

I suspect that my MB maybe shot, so I took of my hard drives that had been in the raid and put in in an older system as an auxillary drive as a temporary measure.

After windows came up it recognized the drive as SCSI (its an IDE) but would not let me view any of the files on it.

Since this particular MB isn't exactly well stocked anymore I maybe be forced to chose another model and I'm wondering if I will have trouble accessing the data on those drives should I go to another manufactuer?

RichPLS

Champion
Any chance you updated BIOS or it got reset?
Check see if RAID is enabled in BIOS>

kcrush

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2004
RAID was definitely set on the on the original computer (w/giga-byte mb), the older one unforunately doesn't have that capability.

RichPLS

Champion
It is only possible to transfer your array over to the same chipset RAID controller.
As far as I know, even same manufctr but diffrent chipsets won't work.
This is where an advantage comes in with an addin RAID controller card.
You can either swap mobo with it, or obtain another if card dies, and usually, by that time, much cheaper and if your smart, you'll have a backup by then.