Show Desktop Icon

Status
Not open for further replies.

martin

The showdesktop icon has changed to the old classic one. All other icons and
appearance are in the XP style. I have tried resetting the XP style in
appearance tab of display properties but this has not restored the XP show
desktop icon.

Any ideas on restoring the XP show desktop icon would be appreciated. Ststem
restore does not restore the icon either.

Thanks

Hi Martin,

'How to Re-create the Show Desktop Icon on Quick Launch Toolbar'
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=190355

Restore the Show Desktop shortcut on Quick Launch Bar
http://www.dougknox.com/tips/showdesktop.htm

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Martin wrote:
> The showdesktop icon has changed to the old classic one. All other icons and
> appearance are in the XP style. I have tried resetting the XP style in
> appearance tab of display properties but this has not restored the XP show
> desktop icon.
>
> Any ideas on restoring the XP show desktop icon would be appreciated. Ststem
> restore does not restore the icon either.
>
> Thanks

martin

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I think you may have mis reread my question. The
Showdesktop icom is still on the quick launch toolbar but its symbol is what
used to be in windows 2000, ie the white rectangle with blue corners and a
yellow pen with red end rather than the blue xp version.

"S.Sengupta" wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> 'How to Re-create the Show Desktop Icon on Quick Launch Toolbar'
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=190355
>

> Restore the Show Desktop shortcut on Quick Launch Bar
> http://www.dougknox.com/tips/showdesktop.htm
>

> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP
>
> Martin wrote:
> > The showdesktop icon has changed to the old classic one. All other icons and
> > appearance are in the XP style. I have tried resetting the XP style in
> > appearance tab of display properties but this has not restored the XP show
> > desktop icon.
> >
> > Any ideas on restoring the XP show desktop icon would be appreciated. Ststem
> > restore does not restore the icon either.
> >
> > Thanks

Nightowl

Distinguished
May 17, 2001

Martin wrote on Sat, 9 Jul 2005:

>The showdesktop icon has changed to the old classic one. All other icons and
>appearance are in the XP style. I have tried resetting the XP style in
>appearance tab of display properties but this has not restored the XP show
>desktop icon.
>
>Any ideas on restoring the XP show desktop icon would be appreciated. Ststem
>restore does not restore the icon either.
>
>Thanks

Martin, you can change the icon back this way:

Right-click on the icon in the Quick Launch toolbar and choose
Properties. Click on Change Icon.

You will probably get a message box pop up to tell you the file contains
no icons, and inviting you to choose from a list. Click OK.

At the next screen at the top it will say: "Look for icons in this
file:" -- make sure %SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll is the one listed.
The icon for Show Desktop is in the 9th column, the 3rd row down.

Hope this helps.

--
Nightowl

No real ideas but...

Have you checked that your Show Desktop.scf is correct?
Have you checked that the 4th icon down in Explorer.exe is correct?
The old icon does not appear in my Win XP Explorer.exe, though the 4th
icon you describe is what I see in previous versions of Windows.
(Win98 and Win ME)

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Martin
<Martin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Thanks for the reply. I think you may have mis reread my question. The
>Showdesktop icom is still on the quick launch toolbar but its symbol is what
>used to be in windows 2000, ie the white rectangle with blue corners and a
>yellow pen with red end rather than the blue xp version.
>
>"S.Sengupta" wrote:
>
>> Hi Martin,
>>
>> 'How to Re-create the Show Desktop Icon on Quick Launch Toolbar'
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=190355
>>

>> Restore the Show Desktop shortcut on Quick Launch Bar
>> http://www.dougknox.com/tips/showdesktop.htm
>>

>> regards,
>> ssg MS-MVP
>>
>> Martin wrote:
>> > The showdesktop icon has changed to the old classic one. All other icons and
>> > appearance are in the XP style. I have tried resetting the XP style in
>> > appearance tab of display properties but this has not restored the XP show
>> > desktop icon.
>> >
>> > Any ideas on restoring the XP show desktop icon would be appreciated. Ststem
>> > restore does not restore the icon either.
>> >
>> > Thanks

Jethro Ford

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Did you solve Icon problem? I also my "Show desktop" icon from Quick launch just turned into old style (win 98 or 2000) but I use XP. In shell32 "Show desktop" icon look right but I can make to appear right style in Quick launch.
Any ideea pls?
Thanks!

I know this is a bit old but I've just had the same problem. Here is the fix from the Microsoft Support Website:

Icons randomly change to different icons
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/132668

Basically, just right-click on your desktop, go to "Properties" then "Settings" and change the colour quality. This should fix the problem. You can then change the colour quality back to what it was again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS