The driver detected a controller error on DeviceHarddisk2D.

Possibly, but the message is more directed at the controller (IDE
or SCSI/SATA) that is serving the Harddisk #2. It could be an
indication of improperly jumpered devices or that the disk has had
it's operating mode stepped back to a slower PIO mode. First off
you should open a Command Prompt -
Click Start, Run (type) Command [Enter]
From within the Command Prompt box (Left click in it to give it
focus) Type Chkdsk X: [Enter] [Substitute your Drive Letter for X)
XP will do a cursory Chkdsk and report back whether error(s)
exist that a more comprehensive Chkdsk /F should be done. If you
do get that status returned, backup the data on the drive before you
do a Chkdsk with Repair. This could also be BIOS settings and a
number of other things, but I would start with the Chkdsk. If it is
OK (Chkdsk), I would probably download and install the latest
Chipset Driver package for your particular motherboard, as it provides
the latest Mass Storage drivers.

"Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message
> What does this mean? Does it mean my hard drive is failing?
>
> I keep getting this error in my events viewer.
>
> --
> Nocturnal
>
> http://www.spywaretalk.org

The thing is, I was having trouble with my chipset's IDE drivers which are
the nVidia ones for an A8N-SLI Deluxe. They aren't the stablest and it is
recommended to just use the generic Microsoft IDE drivers.

I'll go ahead and do a chkdsk on my second drive to make sure nothing is
wrong.

Thank you.

--
Nocturnal

http://www.spywaretalk.org

"R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Possibly, but the message is more directed at the controller (IDE
> or SCSI/SATA) that is serving the Harddisk #2. It could be an
> indication of improperly jumpered devices or that the disk has had
> it's operating mode stepped back to a slower PIO mode. First off
> you should open a Command Prompt -
> Click Start, Run (type) Command [Enter]
> From within the Command Prompt box (Left click in it to give it
> focus) Type Chkdsk X: [Enter] [Substitute your Drive Letter for X)
> XP will do a cursory Chkdsk and report back whether error(s)
> exist that a more comprehensive Chkdsk /F should be done. If you
> do get that status returned, backup the data on the drive before you
> do a Chkdsk with Repair. This could also be BIOS settings and a
> number of other things, but I would start with the Chkdsk. If it is
> OK (Chkdsk), I would probably download and install the latest
> Chipset Driver package for your particular motherboard, as it provides
> the latest Mass Storage drivers.
>
> "Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message
>> What does this mean? Does it mean my hard drive is failing?
>>
>> I keep getting this error in my events viewer.
>>
>> --
>> Nocturnal
>>
>> http://www.spywaretalk.org

Thanks for the follow-up post. I just went over the nVidia and
checked their nForce chipset drivers are at 7.13. Are you getting
chipset drivers directly from nVidia or from Asus ?

> The thing is, I was having trouble with my chipset's IDE drivers which are
> the nVidia ones for an A8N-SLI Deluxe. They aren't the stablest and it is
> recommended to just use the generic Microsoft IDE drivers.
>
> I'll go ahead and do a chkdsk on my second drive to make sure nothing is
> wrong.
>
> Thank you.
>
> --
> Nocturnal
>
> http://www.spywaretalk.org
>

> "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> Possibly, but the message is more directed at the controller (IDE
>> or SCSI/SATA) that is serving the Harddisk #2. It could be an
>> indication of improperly jumpered devices or that the disk has had
>> it's operating mode stepped back to a slower PIO mode. First off
>> you should open a Command Prompt -
>> Click Start, Run (type) Command [Enter]
>> From within the Command Prompt box (Left click in it to give it
>> focus) Type Chkdsk X: [Enter] [Substitute your Drive Letter for X)
>> XP will do a cursory Chkdsk and report back whether error(s)
>> exist that a more comprehensive Chkdsk /F should be done. If you
>> do get that status returned, backup the data on the drive before you
>> do a Chkdsk with Repair. This could also be BIOS settings and a
>> number of other things, but I would start with the Chkdsk. If it is
>> OK (Chkdsk), I would probably download and install the latest
>> Chipset Driver package for your particular motherboard, as it provides
>> the latest Mass Storage drivers.
>>
>> "Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message
>>> What does this mean? Does it mean my hard drive is failing?
>>>
>>> I keep getting this error in my events viewer.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Nocturnal
>>>
>>> http://www.spywaretalk.org

Directly from nVidia. I just did a chkdsk and it came out perfect, no
errors or anything like that. As of now I have been keeping a close eye on
my event viewer log. I haven't had any problems since I last rebooted. I
did kinda stress the drive by ripping a DVD to it. No errors whatsoever.
I'm wondering what caused that. The main thing that worried me was when I
was trying to burn something to a CD using Window's Movie Maker it errored
out on me and once I checked the event viewer, I noticed that the error had
been ongoing since around 9:30 pm Friday night. Let me know if you have any
other suggestions.

--

> Thanks for the follow-up post. I just went over the nVidia and
> checked their nForce chipset drivers are at 7.13. Are you getting
> chipset drivers directly from nVidia or from Asus ?
>
> "Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message
>> The thing is, I was having trouble with my chipset's IDE drivers which
>> are the nVidia ones for an A8N-SLI Deluxe. They aren't the stablest and
>> it is recommended to just use the generic Microsoft IDE drivers.
>>
>> I'll go ahead and do a chkdsk on my second drive to make sure nothing is
>> wrong.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> --
>> Nocturnal
>>
>> http://www.spywaretalk.org
>>

>> "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>>> Possibly, but the message is more directed at the controller (IDE
>>> or SCSI/SATA) that is serving the Harddisk #2. It could be an
>>> indication of improperly jumpered devices or that the disk has had
>>> it's operating mode stepped back to a slower PIO mode. First off
>>> you should open a Command Prompt -
>>> Click Start, Run (type) Command [Enter]
>>> From within the Command Prompt box (Left click in it to give it
>>> focus) Type Chkdsk X: [Enter] [Substitute your Drive Letter for X)
>>> XP will do a cursory Chkdsk and report back whether error(s)
>>> exist that a more comprehensive Chkdsk /F should be done. If you
>>> do get that status returned, backup the data on the drive before you
>>> do a Chkdsk with Repair. This could also be BIOS settings and a
>>> number of other things, but I would start with the Chkdsk. If it is
>>> OK (Chkdsk), I would probably download and install the latest
>>> Chipset Driver package for your particular motherboard, as it provides
>>> the latest Mass Storage drivers.
>>>
>>> "Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message

It might not be a static problem, but kind of a transient issue. I've
got a fairly "State-of-the-Art" PC and do a lot of music editing &
mastering. Occassionally, I'll see events like you've described in
my logs. I recently switched from a SCSI disk sub-system to the
newer SATA-1. Even with that the hard drive is still the biggest
bottleneck in a PC. That's why I use Perfect Disk 7 as my system's
defragmenter and keep my drives defragmented. Raxco has a
30-day Free trial you might want to try out:
http://www.raxco.com/products/downloadit/perfectdisk2000_download.cfm
Whenever the manufacturer's get "Solid State" drives perfected,
I'll probably be an Early Adopter on that technology.

> Directly from nVidia. I just did a chkdsk and it came out perfect, no
> errors or anything like that. As of now I have been keeping a close eye
> on my event viewer log. I haven't had any problems since I last rebooted.
> I did kinda stress the drive by ripping a DVD to it. No errors
> whatsoever. I'm wondering what caused that. The main thing that worried
> me was when I was trying to burn something to a CD using Window's Movie
> Maker it errored out on me and once I checked the event viewer, I noticed
> that the error had been ongoing since around 9:30 pm Friday night. Let me
> know if you have any other suggestions.
>
> --
> Nocturnal
>
> http://www.spywaretalk.org
>

> "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the follow-up post. I just went over the nVidia and
>> checked their nForce chipset drivers are at 7.13. Are you getting
>> chipset drivers directly from nVidia or from Asus ?
>>
>> "Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message
>>> The thing is, I was having trouble with my chipset's IDE drivers which
>>> are the nVidia ones for an A8N-SLI Deluxe. They aren't the stablest and
>>> it is recommended to just use the generic Microsoft IDE drivers.
>>>
>>> I'll go ahead and do a chkdsk on my second drive to make sure nothing is
>>> wrong.
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Nocturnal
>>>
>>> http://www.spywaretalk.org
>>>

>>> "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Yeah, I forgot to mention all my hardware is SATA. Two SATA hard drives and
one SATA DVDRW. Thanks for your quick replies. I'm now having problems
with video playback. Any video I playback looks like it's being played in
16bit color, all washed out and ugly. Any ideas? I have a 6800GT with the
newest drivers installed. I'm wondering what this could be :(

--

> It might not be a static problem, but kind of a transient issue. I've
> got a fairly "State-of-the-Art" PC and do a lot of music editing &
> mastering. Occassionally, I'll see events like you've described in
> my logs. I recently switched from a SCSI disk sub-system to the
> newer SATA-1. Even with that the hard drive is still the biggest
> bottleneck in a PC. That's why I use Perfect Disk 7 as my system's
> defragmenter and keep my drives defragmented. Raxco has a
> 30-day Free trial you might want to try out:
> http://www.raxco.com/products/downloadit/perfectdisk2000_download.cfm
> Whenever the manufacturer's get "Solid State" drives perfected,
> I'll probably be an Early Adopter on that technology.
>
> "Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message
>> Directly from nVidia. I just did a chkdsk and it came out perfect, no
>> errors or anything like that. As of now I have been keeping a close eye
>> on my event viewer log. I haven't had any problems since I last
>> rebooted. I did kinda stress the drive by ripping a DVD to it. No errors
>> whatsoever. I'm wondering what caused that. The main thing that worried
>> me was when I was trying to burn something to a CD using Window's Movie
>> Maker it errored out on me and once I checked the event viewer, I noticed
>> that the error had been ongoing since around 9:30 pm Friday night. Let
>> me know if you have any other suggestions.
>>
>> --
>> Nocturnal
>>
>> http://www.spywaretalk.org
>>

>> "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>>> Thanks for the follow-up post. I just went over the nVidia and
>>> checked their nForce chipset drivers are at 7.13. Are you getting
>>> chipset drivers directly from nVidia or from Asus ?
>>>
>>> "Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message

Disregard my last message. I was able to fix it. It is indeed a driver
issue. I found it searching google like I should have done, duh. Hey R.
McCarty, thanks for all the great help. I'm in Hawaii so it's my bed time,
12:52AM. Night and thanks again.

--
Nocturnal

http://www.spywaretalk.org

> Yeah, I forgot to mention all my hardware is SATA. Two SATA hard drives
> and one SATA DVDRW. Thanks for your quick replies. I'm now having
> problems with video playback. Any video I playback looks like it's being
> played in 16bit color, all washed out and ugly. Any ideas? I have a
> 6800GT with the newest drivers installed. I'm wondering what this could
> be :(
>
> --
> Nocturnal
>
> http://www.spywaretalk.org
>

> "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> It might not be a static problem, but kind of a transient issue. I've
>> got a fairly "State-of-the-Art" PC and do a lot of music editing &
>> mastering. Occassionally, I'll see events like you've described in
>> my logs. I recently switched from a SCSI disk sub-system to the
>> newer SATA-1. Even with that the hard drive is still the biggest
>> bottleneck in a PC. That's why I use Perfect Disk 7 as my system's
>> defragmenter and keep my drives defragmented. Raxco has a
>> 30-day Free trial you might want to try out:
>> http://www.raxco.com/products/downloadit/perfectdisk2000_download.cfm
>> Whenever the manufacturer's get "Solid State" drives perfected,
>> I'll probably be an Early Adopter on that technology.
>>
>> "Nocturnal" <nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote in message
>>> Directly from nVidia. I just did a chkdsk and it came out perfect, no
>>> errors or anything like that. As of now I have been keeping a close eye
>>> on my event viewer log. I haven't had any problems since I last
>>> rebooted. I did kinda stress the drive by ripping a DVD to it. No
>>> errors whatsoever. I'm wondering what caused that. The main thing that
>>> worried me was when I was trying to burn something to a CD using
>>> Window's Movie Maker it errored out on me and once I checked the event
>>> viewer, I noticed that the error had been ongoing since around 9:30 pm
>>> Friday night. Let me know if you have any other suggestions.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Nocturnal
>>>
>>> http://www.spywaretalk.org
>>>

>>> "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message

Hi Nocturnal,

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 23:55:25 -1000, "Nocturnal"
<nocturnal@anonymous.com> wrote:

>What does this mean? Does it mean my hard drive is failing?
>
>I keep getting this error in my events viewer.

I've read the other posters comments.

I've had these errors in my sytem too. In my case it had two reasons:

1. In one instance a brand new sata-cable was at fault, once I
replaced it, it stopped. I cheched it in the way I swapped cables on
two drives, the errors swithched from one drive to the other - I
figured it was the cable.

2. I've had Maxtor drives ....they gave this error on my asus board.
I've checked the drives with the vendrors utility to do so. It showed
errors but corrected them. the drive was ok a few days and then it
made errors again. Now the drives have been moved to the backup
computer, which only gets turned one once in awhile. they work ok
there, in my main computer they have been replaced with Seagates, and
since then the errors have disappeared.

Some thoughts - Regards Leif.