Solved

Hard Disk got faulty so got a new win7. Can I use the key of original?

Hello,
My laptop came with a WIN7 preinstalled and I have its key on the back of my laptop.
However, the hard disk got faulty and I bought a new WIN7 with new license and installed it fresh.

So now I have the original key (on back of laptop) unused. Is there any way that I can use this unused key while installing a WIN7 on another PC/Laptop?
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about hard disk faulty win7 original
  1. You can even change the key on your laptop to it's original, if it's the same win version. Right click on the computer symbol on your desktop and go to properties.
  2. If it's unused, why do you use the key off the new copy of Win7? The OEM key was suppose to be used with that laptop, but if it's never been used or activated, it's still a valid key.
  3. OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^

You didn't need a new key for a hard drive replacement ^
  4. Best answer
    You didn't need to buy a new copy of Windows, why didn't you just reinstall the one that came with it ?

If you misplaced the original DVD, What you should have done with the "new" copy of windows was install from that DVD and use the key on back of the laptop. That would have left the new key free for a new installation.
  5. Best answer selected by myasirkhan.
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Hard Drives Windows 7