postalservice14

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2004
What are the ups and downs of having a 512mb of PC2700 DDR ram and a 512 of DDR400 memory in at the same time? Are they both going to go only as fast as the 2700 goes? Is it better just to have 512 of DDR400 in?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, you'll be running PC2700 and PC3200 at the same speed if you install them both at the same time. And that should work fine so long as you aren't trying to overclock the PC2700.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
You are basically asking a question that is dealing with two scenarios: more memory vs faster memory.

It has always been my recommendation to go with faster memory.

In your case, you are dealing with two different memory types. For many motherboards, the memory pair might not function properly, and could even create problems for your system. This is definitely a 'down' :p

Many applications do not require more than 512MB to run, so going with faster memory will help you more in most cases.

On the other hand, if you have a slow system, i.e. slow system bus, then it doesnt really matter too much what memory you put it; it will just be slow.

So yeah...
My recommendation: stick with faster identical memory pairs; go with the single stick of DDR400 (PC-3200)