Missing defragmentation program??

Long story, short:
With Microsoft's help, reinstalled windows XP home on larger hard drive.(D)
Re-installed service pack 2. So far , so good.
Went to analyze both of my hard drives (C and D) to see about a defrag.....
AND
saw message.. "No defragmentation tool is currently installed."

Odd, since I did not delete the tool, (at least knowingly.)
How do I get this program back into my system?

Thanks.

--
Neal Z

Hi Neal,

This could be caused by uninstalling a 3ed party defrag utility.

The following file is located in a hidden folder.
To view hidden files follow these steps:
Open Control Panel - Folder Options - View tab, select "Show hidden
files and folders" and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types",
click OK.

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the windows\inf folder.

Find the dfrg.inf file, right click on it and select Install. You may
be asked for the XP CD.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Neal Zimm wrote:
> Long story, short:
> With Microsoft's help, reinstalled windows XP home on
> larger hard drive.(D) Re-installed service pack 2. So far
> , so good.
> Went to analyze both of my hard drives (C and D) to see
> about a defrag..... AND
> saw message.. "No defragmentation tool is currently
> installed."
>
> Odd, since I did not delete the tool, (at least
> knowingly.)
> How do I get this program back into my system?
>
> Thanks.

Worked like a charm.
Thanks much.
Neal

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi Neal,
>
> This could be caused by uninstalling a 3ed party defrag utility.
>
> The following file is located in a hidden folder.
> To view hidden files follow these steps:
> Open Control Panel - Folder Options - View tab, select "Show hidden
> files and folders" and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types",
> click OK.
>
> Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the windows\inf folder.
>
> Find the dfrg.inf file, right click on it and select Install. You may
> be asked for the XP CD.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> Neal Zimm wrote:
> > Long story, short:
> > With Microsoft's help, reinstalled windows XP home on
> > larger hard drive.(D) Re-installed service pack 2. So far
> > , so good.
> > Went to analyze both of my hard drives (C and D) to see
> > about a defrag..... AND
> > saw message.. "No defragmentation tool is currently
> > installed."
> >
> > Odd, since I did not delete the tool, (at least
> > knowingly.)
> > How do I get this program back into my system?
> >
> > Thanks.

You're welcome Neal. Glad it worked out.

--

Neal Z wrote:
> Worked like a charm.
> Thanks much.
> Neal
>

> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> Hi Neal,
>>
>> This could be caused by uninstalling a 3ed party defrag utility.
>>
>> The following file is located in a hidden folder.
>> To view hidden files follow these steps:
>> Open Control Panel - Folder Options - View tab, select
>> "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide
>> extensions for known file types", click OK.
>>
>> Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the windows\inf folder.
>>
>> Find the dfrg.inf file, right click on it and select
>> Install. You may be asked for the XP CD.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>
>> Neal Zimm wrote:
>>> Long story, short:
>>> With Microsoft's help, reinstalled windows XP home on
>>> larger hard drive.(D) Re-installed service pack 2. So far , so
>>> good.
>>> Went to analyze both of my hard drives (C and D) to see
>>> about a defrag..... AND
>>> saw message.. "No defragmentation tool is currently installed."
>>>
>>> Odd, since I did not delete the tool, (at least knowingly.)
>>> How do I get this program back into my system?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

i found the file dfrg.inf and right clicked it but install was not one fo the choices on the list

i just tried that again and i hadn't right clicked properly, it looks like it will work now