Dead pixels come back to life?

SeeSeeRider

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2005
Anyone heard of this before? I bought a new 19" LCD for a good price a few weeks ago, but it arrived with 2 dead pixels. One stuck all the time at bright green in the upper right quadrant, and one in the lower right quadrant that showed up dark blue - but only on a dark screen. They showed within 10 minutes of first power-on. Interestingly, they disappeared last Friday night, 06-10-2005. I did not do anything (knowingly) to fix them. I thought dead pixels were always dead?

Chuck_Hsiao

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2005
Actually, dead pixels can sometimes come back to life.

There's different types, really. Dead pixels are (usually) caused by particles landing on the panel during manufacturing. If they get stuck on one of the wires or something like that, the thing's busted, game over. But if they're kinda loose, then when you rub them (or heat convection for all it matters) may move them away to a safe spot. So *some* dead pixels may go away. If you want to try rubbing them away, be sure to put a piece of paper over the spot first so that you don't ruin the finish.

I was skeptical about this rubbing thing until I did it myself a couple days ago on a monitor at the office. There was a green bright pixel, so I covered it with paper and began rubbing away. About ten seconds later, I removed the paper, and it was gone -- and hasn't come back since. Unfortunately, it didn't work on another office monitor -- which was more embarrassing because there were lots of girls around. My first time I was alone. Sniff.

dhlucke

Polypheme
minus 2 points

<pre>That's really good info though. I just keep returning my LCD's until I get one with no dead pixels. My 24"er has none which is amazing</pre><p>
<pre><font color=red>A64 3200+ Winchester
DFI Lan Party NF4 Ultra-D
1GB Corsair 4400C25PT
WD740GD, WD2000JB, WD1200JB
ATI X800XL
Dell 2405FPW</pre><p>

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
Thanks we have a couple of tose at my work place...

I'll give that a shot.

<b><A HREF="http://www.digitalgunfire.com" target="_new">DigitalGunfire-Industrial EBM</A></b>
ASUS P4S8X-P4 2.4B - 2x512M DDR333 - ATI 9500Pro - WD80G HD(8M) - SAMSUNG SV0844D 8G HD - LG 16X DVD - Yamaha F1 CDRW