HD or PSU failure?? pls help!

Roboleg

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I have been having issues with my system shutting down while playing BF1942, going into a reboot loop, or not booting up when I try to start it up-

When it won't start up- all the lights come on- but there is no boot sequence initiated- not even the pre-boot BEEP-

In order to "reset" the system, I have had not only turn off, but diconnect all power to the system completely-

Now here is the really interesting thing- last night I was in windows doing several things and I hear a "plunk" from inside my case- everything is still up on the screen, the mouse is still moving the cursor- but none of the programs will respond.... then I hear another "plunk" from inside my case and I everything is fine... for about a minute when I hear another "plunk".... hit reset.. nothing... turn off the main power... only the fans come on and it won't go into boot sequence again.. have to remove the main power... wait and then it does reboot..

Now the "plunk" sound, I am pretty sure is a relay switch inside of the PSU... because it is the same sound that is made when you turn off the main power supply to the tower...

Both the PSU and HD are suspect since I bought what I thought was an awesome deal from Raidmax- and got a gaming case for only $50 WITH a 430W power supply (with a generic PSU)... the HD is a 7200rpm maxtor that is at least 3-4 year old... I have done several complete reinstalls of my OS and that has not changed the symptoms of my problem...

So my question is... is the PSU kicking off the 5V output (which powers the HD) because it is faulty... or is the HD kicking off the 5V leg of the PSU because the HD is faulty? I have used a genereic power supply tester- and tests possitive (green light).

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
They both sound suspect to me. I've had problems with those cheap PSU's. I'm guessing you don't have a spare one to swap in.

Might go over to Maxtor's site and d/l their HD diagnostic proggie. I think it's called Powermax.

Mobile XP 2600+ (11X200)
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
BBA 9800 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win2K sp4

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Ah, but if he's loosing drive power it could report problems with the drive that don't actually exist!

Maybe check the power connector?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>