sirbrad

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I just got a new 32 inch Norcent for gaming, and so far it looks great on VGA. I was wondering if I bought a female Dvi-i To HDMI Adapter, would I get better quality? I assume this is also better than a DVI to VGA adapter? Would both work? My card that came with the PC is a 7300 LE, which surprisingly works very well, although I will be upgrading to Geforce 8 soon in hopes that I can connect HDMI to HDMI. Do these cards, or any of the 7000 series have HDMI connections?

My current 7300 only has DVI-i and vga, and my LCD has not DVI connections. Thanks.

sirbrad

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Basically what I am asking is, what is the best possible connection I can get with my current setup? DVI to HDMI? DVI to VGA? The card has a DVI and a VGA port, and my LCD has a VGA and a HDMI
port.

Badnatured

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2006
I don't think you read waht he said. He said basically that DVI to HDMI works just fine. You don't need an adapter. The only difference I believe is that HDMI is higher quality. HDMI to HDMI works best but DVI to HDMI works. It's just not as clear.

rab05

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2007
sirbrad,

You will get better quality out of using a digital connection (DVI to HDMI). And yes that would be better than using a DVI to VGA converter as using DVI/HDMI keeps the digital signal from your video card to your LCD without having to do a conversion to an analog signal (or relying on the analog signal sent through DVI-I).

To my knowledge, no consumer availible video cards have HDMI outputs built in. Currently the only way to connect your video card to a HDMI enabled LCD monitor is through a DVI to HDMI converter.

sirbrad

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I don't think you read waht he said. He said basically that DVI to HDMI works just fine. You don't need an adapter. The only difference I believe is that HDMI is higher quality. HDMI to HDMI works best but DVI to HDMI works. It's just not as clear.

I read all that was said, I simply said my manual does not say crap as far as what connections are best. I am trying to find a female to HDMI cable as well, but it seems like the version I have is hard to find (female?) It has a cross and 4 little holes inside the cross.

sirbrad

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
sirbrad,

You will get better quality out of using a digital connection (DVI to HDMI). And yes that would be better than using a DVI to VGA converter as using DVI/HDMI keeps the digital signal from your video card to your LCD without having to do a conversion to an analog signal (or relying on the analog signal sent through DVI-I).

To my knowledge, no consumer availible video cards have HDMI outputs built in. Currently the only way to connect your video card to a HDMI enabled LCD monitor is through a DVI to HDMI converter.

I seen the adapter, but what kind of cable will I need? I can't find any cables that look as though they will connect to the DVI on my card, the adapters looks exactly the same. Is there a cable as opposed to an adapter?

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003

For the most part yes. The digital cable should not have an effect on clarity.

AFAIK A digital to digital connection either works or it doesn't.

The only thing you wont have is a digital audio connection that is supported on HDMI. DVI does not carry an audio connection.