Sign in with
Your question

SATA or PATA?

Last response: in Storage
October 20, 2004 10:37:27 PM

My trusty old WD drive sounds like it's about to go (of course it's out of warranty), so I'll need a new drive soon. There are a lot of great deals on fast 8 MB cache PATA drives right now, but my MOBO does have an on-board SATA controller.

I don't mind paying more for SATA if I'm going to see a performance boost, but if it will be little or no difference, then I'd rather just get a fast PATA drive and spend the extra money elsewhere.

I see a lot of different opinions about PATA vs. SATA on the web, so I thought I'd ask you guys for your thoughts.

Thanks.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than have to have a frontal lobotomy."

More about : sata pata

October 20, 2004 10:57:14 PM

it is no faster, no faster, no faster, it is more convinient (if you can say so based on cable difference), and more cumbersome (based on setup and startup procedure)

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...
October 20, 2004 11:02:05 PM

I've seen different benchmarks showing SATA is faster, slower, no different than PATA. Same thing with individual remarks from users.

Thanks.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than have to have a frontal lobotomy."
Related resources
October 21, 2004 6:32:33 AM

I'm not going to give you opinions, I'm going to give you facts.

SATA drives usually use the same mechanics as their PATA versions. That means WD's JB series and JD series drives are the same thing with a slightly different interface card.

Since drive mechanics are the limitting factor in performance, drives with the same internal parts will offer the same performance.

No drives operate at the max speed of their bus. The fastest 7200RPM drives output around 35-65MB/s, depending on which part of the disk is being accessed. That's well below the ATA100 limit.

You may choose SATA for future compatability, many of the newest P4 boards only have 1 PATA header, pushing users to SATA.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
October 21, 2004 7:14:27 AM

Facts is good. :-D

I suppose then the only thing that would truly be faster would be something like the WD Raptor ( because of 10,000 RPMs)

Thanks.

October 21, 2004 7:21:59 AM

Yessir, the 10,000 RPM drives ARE faster.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
October 21, 2004 7:29:55 AM

But hotter and noisier, too. And more expensive

You can't have it all...

!