Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
AMD fx-4100
Gigabyte ga-970a
Corsair vengeance 2x4 1600
thermaltake tr2 600
HIS radeon 7770
Western digital caviar blue wd10ealx 1TB

Ok guys this is a brand new system build with windows 7. Everything hardware wise is installed correctly and showing up fine in the bios. Bios is version 6 so everything should work fine with fx4100. My problem is when i get to installing windows and we get to the "where do you want to install windows" part I follow instructions via the mobo guide and I insert the disc and browse the appropriate location. I did have to switch the mobo to AHCI to get this far but all other settings are failsafe. Once I insert the disc and search for the boot driver it pulls up the compatible one in the window "select driver to be installed". Ok so far so good, the driver shows as AMD sata controller (D:/BootDrv/SBxxxW7/AHCI/Win7x64/amdsata.inf) Even have the box checked wherre it says hide drivers that are not compatible, so this one must be compatible, right? Wrong apparently, I click next and it tells me The [AMD SATA controller (D:/BootDrv/SBxxxW7/AHCI/Win7x64/amdsata.inf) device driver could not be installed. Contact your vendor for an updated driver. I am booting of the cd drive with the windows and mobo disc if that matters. I have read somewhere i might need to use the boot drivers off a usb drive but that seemed related to intel cpu's not amd. Please any and all help is so appreciated. If i do have to put the boot drivers on a usb stick could you please leave detailed info on where to obtain the boot drivers and how to put them on the stick and boot with them. Again thanks for any and all help.

christopheradeed

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
Im having this exact same problem "/ If anyone could help please do. Using the exact same Hard drive as singlejm. Hard drive shows up on bios. Even tried to install on another motherboard no luck.

christopheradeed

Honorable
Sep 10, 2012
Found out how to do this, spent the whole of today up till this very point thinking my HDD was either broken or there was something wrong with BIOS/Drivers for the HDD. You need to partition your HDD. If you have another pc plug your new HDD in and Format it first (open up my computer and right click then format)
Then go to start>computer>right Click> Manage> Disk Manager (left hand side)
And you should see your new hard drive I suggest you "delete volume" then do new volume and make this what ever size you want mine was 3gig and then once again do new volume on the part that's left, I made this the rest of HDD(800gb)

You can just Google Partition new Hard drive :) After youve done this you can either install windows 7 from here put the cd in run it and just choose your new HDD or take it out of your old PC and put it back into your new PC

NOTE : I left all my bios config to default so i didnt use AHCI as this had nothing to do with installing windows which is what I though earlier.

Hope this helps!!

7escape7

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
put cd, boot from cd, mark where the partition will be Windows, but before that format the partition, it must be one partition and the other unmarked, dislocated minimum of 100MB, it is best when installing to delete all partitions. then the windows do 100mb dislocated space and this is the whole problem :)

7escape7

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
put cd, boot from cd, mark where the partition will be Windows, but before that format the partition, it must be one partition and the other unmarked, dislocated minimum of 100MB, it is best when installing to delete all partitions. then the windows do 100mb dislocated space and this is the whole problem :)
must have 100mb dislocated partition

sry for my english

Louis Browne

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013

In-case anyone else goes through my pain, I just I wanted to add that, even though I had the exact same issue with windows 8, this solution did not work for me. After failing to get windows 8 to receive the AHCI gigabyte pre-install drivers, and trying a million and one things. I then tried windows 7 and it actually took the drivers, even though it hid the 64bit drivers as incompatible! So without further testing it leaves me to believe the drivers on Gigabytes site for windows 8 are dodgy and don't work, as I downloaded them several times.