Cs

Hi:

According to the manual and instructions that come with my MN 820 kit,
Microsoft advises installing the software to my desktop and notebook
computers.

I've read several posts here stating that the software is not necessary if
XP is being used. I'm running XP Home on both my desktop and notebook
computers. Would I still be able to enable encryption, and other options
like naming the wireless network, file sharing, etc?

Thanks.

Yes, you will be able to do so. Before installing, go into Control
Panel/Administrative Tools/Services and make sure Wireless Zero
Configuration is turned on and running. You will need to install the
drivers for each device off the CD, but you don't need to pretty front end.
The base station can be configured (after initial setup) by simply going
into your browser and entering the default 192.168.2.1 IP in the address
line. The default password is "admin" without the quotes. When you set up
the LAN connections in Network Connections, make sure you enable "Use
Windows to configure my wireless network" on the Wireless Networks tab when
you go into the Properties of the LAN connection.
--
Chris H.
Microsoft Windows MVP

"CS" <CS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> According to the manual and instructions that come with my MN 820 kit,
> Microsoft advises installing the software to my desktop and notebook
> computers.
>
> I've read several posts here stating that the software is not necessary if
> XP is being used. I'm running XP Home on both my desktop and notebook
> computers. Would I still be able to enable encryption, and other options
> like naming the wireless network, file sharing, etc?
>
> Thanks.

You'd only need the drivers from the cd. Otherwise, you can set everything
up with Windows' Zero Wireless Config service.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"CS" <CS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi:
>
> According to the manual and instructions that come with my MN 820 kit,
> Microsoft advises installing the software to my desktop and notebook
> computers.
>
> I've read several posts here stating that the software is not necessary if
> XP is being used. I'm running XP Home on both my desktop and notebook
> computers. Would I still be able to enable encryption, and other options
> like naming the wireless network, file sharing, etc?
>
> Thanks.

Cs

Chris and Jason:

Thanks for the help.

Regards.

"Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Yes, you will be able to do so. Before installing, go into Control
> Panel/Administrative Tools/Services and make sure Wireless Zero
> Configuration is turned on and running. You will need to install the
> drivers for each device off the CD, but you don't need to pretty front
end.
> The base station can be configured (after initial setup) by simply going
> into your browser and entering the default 192.168.2.1 IP in the address
> line. The default password is "admin" without the quotes. When you set
up
> the LAN connections in Network Connections, make sure you enable "Use
> Windows to configure my wireless network" on the Wireless Networks tab
when
> you go into the Properties of the LAN connection.
> --
> Chris H.
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> Associate Expert
>

> "CS" <CS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi:
> >
> > According to the manual and instructions that come with my MN 820 kit,
> > Microsoft advises installing the software to my desktop and notebook
> > computers.
> >
> > I've read several posts here stating that the software is not necessary
if
> > XP is being used. I'm running XP Home on both my desktop and notebook
> > computers. Would I still be able to enable encryption, and other
options
> > like naming the wireless network, file sharing, etc?
> >
> > Thanks.

Hope all works out for you. :cool: