BASIC problems: Dog Star Adventure

I've been trying to get Dog Star Adventure up and running on my Windows
machine. I downloaded the source code from the archive, then tried to
load it in GW-BASIC, but it just says "Line buffer overflow." I then
tried getting it to run with QBASIC, but I ran into massive
compile-time errors. I tried to fix these, but they were too much for
me.

Has anybody modified the source code so it will run on a PC? Or anybody
have a DOS executable of it?

Hal
4 answers Last reply
More about basic problems star adventure
  1. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    Hal Redding wrote:
    > I've been trying to get Dog Star Adventure up and running ...
    > Has anybody modified the source code so it will run on a PC?

    There's a SmallBASIC port:

    http://smallbasic.sourceforge.net/scode/vsrc.php?show=82

    -Nick
    (To contact me, send your message to nickm.com, username nickm)
  2. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    Heya.

    Hal Redding wrote in message
    <1106000171.975491.308610@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>...
    >I've been trying to get Dog Star Adventure up and running on my Windows
    >machine. I downloaded the source code from the archive, then tried to
    >load it in GW-BASIC, but it just says "Line buffer overflow." I then
    >tried getting it to run with QBASIC, but I ran into massive
    >compile-time errors. I tried to fix these, but they were too much for
    >me.
    >
    >Has anybody modified the source code so it will run on a PC? Or anybody
    >have a DOS executable of it?
    >
    >Hal

    What version of GWBASIc are you using? There are several ones. Dogstar does
    not run in Qbasic indeed.

    Greetz, Katzy.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    nm wrote:
    > There's a SmallBASIC port:
    >
    > http://smallbasic.sourceforge.net/scode/vsrc.php?show=82

    Thanks. That version worked great. :)

    As for my GW-BASIC version, like the one I downloaded says "GW-BASIC
    3.22 (C) Copyright Ghostwriter Team 1994,1995,1996". That's a bit
    suspicious. I never noticed that before. Then again, I did download it
    for free.

    Hal
  4. Archived from groups: rec.games.int-fiction (More info?)

    Heya.

    Hal Redding wrote in message

    >As for my GW-BASIC version, like the one I downloaded says "GW-BASIC
    >3.22 (C) Copyright Ghostwriter Team 1994,1995,1996". That's a bit
    >suspicious. I never noticed that before. Then again, I did download it
    >for free.
    >
    >Hal

    You can try this gwbasic version:

    www.nostalgia8.org/download/basic/gwbasic320.zip

    You can try this mbasic version of dogstar:

    www.nostalgia8.org//download/basic/dogstar.zip

    Greetz, Katzy.

Games Basic Video Games