Network ID Box Grayed Out (Joining WinXP to SBS 03 Domain)

July 9, 2005 3:36:47 PM

Hello Fellow Travelers,
I am having a challenge making a Windows XP workstation part of a
Small Business Server 2003 domain; both are relatively fresh OS installs.
The WinXP box was placed on line before the SBS and has been running
through (2 NICs) the SBS to the internet as a "Workgroup:" computer. Now
that I am ready to join the WinXP to the SBS as a "Domain:" computer I find
a terrific challenge.
The first indication of a challenge came when the SBS
<http://<sbs2003ServerName>/connectcomputer> ran into errors. It would
place itself on the workstation with the user indent, "__sbs_netsetup__",
but it would error out. Thinking I would bypass the SBS URL method of
joining a workstation to the domain, I went to workstation's "System
Properties > Computer Name" window and found the "Network ID" box grayed
out. Using the "Change" button I found the "Domain" radio button also
grayed out.
It seems that no matter what I have done, I am unable to join the
Workstation to the Domain. I have been to a goodly number of places on the
net via Google and delved into Microsof's SBS information base but to find
nothing to resolve this challenge. Any help with this challenge would be
greatly appreciated.
Retards,
John
Anonymous
July 9, 2005 8:31:35 PM

I'm assuming the box is running XP Professional? XP Home won't join a domain.

And, if the machine is running Windows Media Center 2005, which is built on XP Pro, it will not join a domain, either, except during the initial installation.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"John A. Jackson" <jax@arn.net> wrote in message news:eGJloRKhFHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hello Fellow Travelers,
> I am having a challenge making a Windows XP workstation part of a
> Small Business Server 2003 domain; both are relatively fresh OS installs.
> The WinXP box was placed on line before the SBS and has been running
> through (2 NICs) the SBS to the internet as a "Workgroup:" computer. Now
> that I am ready to join the WinXP to the SBS as a "Domain:" computer I find
> a terrific challenge.
> The first indication of a challenge came when the SBS
> <http://<sbs2003ServerName>/connectcomputer> ran into errors. It would
> place itself on the workstation with the user indent, "__sbs_netsetup__",
> but it would error out. Thinking I would bypass the SBS URL method of
> joining a workstation to the domain, I went to workstation's "System
> Properties > Computer Name" window and found the "Network ID" box grayed
> out. Using the "Change" button I found the "Domain" radio button also
> grayed out.
> It seems that no matter what I have done, I am unable to join the
> Workstation to the Domain. I have been to a goodly number of places on the
> net via Google and delved into Microsof's SBS information base but to find
> nothing to resolve this challenge. Any help with this challenge would be
> greatly appreciated.
> Retards,
> John

Anonymous
July 9, 2005 9:10:25 PM

Hello,
Thanks for taking the time -- The XP system is Pro w/Media Center.
Should I not find a registry hack, I'll be reinstaling.
Later, John

--
Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart
Display\Security
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"John A. Jackson" <jax@arn.net> wrote in message
> Hello Fellow Travelers,
> I am having a challenge making a Windows XP workstation part of a
> Small Business Server 2003 domain; both are relatively fresh OS installs.
> The WinXP box was placed on line before the SBS and has been running
> through (2 NICs) the SBS to the internet as a "Workgroup:" computer. Now
> that I am ready to join the WinXP to the SBS as a "Domain:" computer I
> find
> a terrific challenge.
> The first indication of a challenge came when the SBS
> <http://<sbs2003ServerName>/connectcomputer> ran into errors. It would
> place itself on the workstation with the user indent, "__sbs_netsetup__",
> but it would error out. Thinking I would bypass the SBS URL method of
> joining a workstation to the domain, I went to workstation's "System
> Properties > Computer Name" window and found the "Network ID" box grayed
> out. Using the "Change" button I found the "Domain" radio button also
> grayed out.
> It seems that no matter what I have done, I am unable to join the
> Workstation to the Domain. I have been to a goodly number of places on
> the
> net via Google and delved into Microsof's SBS information base but to find
> nothing to resolve this challenge. Any help with this challenge would be
> greatly appreciated.
> Retards,
> John

Anonymous
July 9, 2005 11:25:38 PM

There is a hack out there, that's supposed to work. I haven't personally tried it.

However, if you have any intention of using the Media Center Extender devices with this machine, you will not want to join it to a domain. Fast User Switching is disabled in a domain and the Extender devices require FUS to function.

!