Dell xps 1730m problem

vkejai

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Hello all. Hope you can help me out in rgards to my Dell xps 1730m laptop. Upon pressing the power button the screen remains black . I thought it may have been the battery so I got a new one, but the screen is still the same.

Upon reading many articles covering similar problems by others I think it maybe the graphics card which happens to be a nvidia 8700m gt sli. Any advice on how I can confirm it is the graphics card causing the black screen ?

Also if it is the graphics card is there better one I can upgrade to for my system ? I know on desktops you can only upgrade so much due to motherboard and bottleneck restrictions.

Hope you can advise .

Regards

Vkejai

cl-scott

Honorable
My first thought, especially if for all intents and purposes it appears as if the laptop is booting, is that the backlight on the LCD panel went out. This can be something relatively cheap and inexpensive like an inverter gone bad, or it can be that the LCD panel itself went bad, which is considerably more expensive.

The best way to test is to connect the laptop to an external display. If you get video, then your GPU is fine. Then you can start by replacing the inverter on the unit, if that doesn't work, you can decide if it's worth the expense and hassle for you to replace the LCD panel.

Also, if the unit is under warranty still, then just make Dell fix it.

vkejai

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
Hi and thanks for reply, I just realised I made the thread i wrong section . Just to answer the backlights, side lights , and keyboard lights all work fine, on boot it beeps , which I think is prompting me to go into safe mode , probably due to not shutting down correctly , but without the screen showing I dont know what.

I have tried to link up external screen and still the same. And yeah its out of warranty .

cl-scott

Honorable

If you're in the US, I've used this place in the past to get used parts for Dells with no complaints. So unless they've come under new, significantly more shady, management in the past 3 years or so, worth a look.

http://www.parts-people.com/

I'd make sure to look real carefully at the display. If the backlight isn't working, you can see things on it, but you have to get the angle of the light just right, and even then be looking pretty carefully.

If the backlight went out... Not sure if that particular model uses MXM video cards or the GPU is soldered to the motherboard, so you'll need to find that out, then you can start pricing out the potential repair cost and decide whether or not it's worth it.

vkejai

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
The lights on the keyboard andthe back panel lights all work , just the screen is black. I guess I may have to take it into a repair shop :/