Sign in with
Your question

DVD copying noob

Last response: in Storage
October 22, 2004 5:19:21 PM

If I want to copy DVD's can I do it with only one drive? Or would you reccomend that I have two drives, and read from one drive and write directly to the second drive? I don't know if this is even possible....

Also, will DVD burners copy XBox games? Thank you guys, I really appreciate any responses.

More about : dvd copying noob

October 22, 2004 7:55:01 PM

a) 1 drive will copy the DVD to an Image file (a copy of the enire disc in 1 file) and then burn it from the harddrive.

b)Yep, but the discs won't work unless you have a chipped Xbox / a clone CD style program for DVD's.

October 22, 2004 11:28:23 PM

I use DVD Shrink to copy DVD's, it lets you:
1.) Copy them to a file
2.) Compress 8GB movies to fit on a 4GB DVD
3.) Remove unwanted features from the DVD (in case you want less compression or the movie is too big).

Then I burn the files to DVD with Nero.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
October 31, 2004 2:30:32 PM

Quote:
If I want to copy DVD's can I do it with only one drive?

Yes

Quote:
Or would you reccomend that I have two drives, and read from one drive and write directly to the second drive?

No, Most all of the DVD copying process's, consist of Ripping the files from the DVD to a folder on the HDD, and then burning from the HDD to the DVDRW. When DVD copying first really hit the market good before all the copyright crap hit the fan, DVD X Copy software would do the entire process for you flawlessly, most of that software has been removed from the shelves, but you can still obtain Game X Copy, and I'm pretty sure you can copy any game with it but not positive about Xbox though, but its presently still on the shelves today in the US, but I don't know for how long.

For copying DVDs I use Smartripper [its a free program downloadable on the net, you can Google search to find a downloadable link that the government hasn't killed yet], and Intervideo DVD Copy to convert the files and burn them to disk, it will burn to disk without any additional burning software, and will allow you to pick whatever you want or don't want from the ripped DVD files, mostly I like to pull just the movie from all the DVD ripped data, the great thing about Intervideo DVD Copy is it will allow a 1 to 1 copy with no original quality loss at all, but Intervideo DVD Copy is not free.

<A HREF="http://www.dvdsoft.net/" target="_new">Heres pretty much anything you'll need DVDwise</A> except Intervideo DVD Copy, which is retail in stores in the US like Best Buy.

<A HREF="http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_ri..." target="_new">Smartripper</A> Oh by the way if you answer yes to the question you'll be asked, you won't be able to download it. :smile:

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by 4ryan6 on 10/31/04 11:41 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
November 1, 2004 1:28:22 AM

Ah, but it's SO EASY with DVD-Shrink, and allows you to make single-layer DVD-R's which are compatable with most players!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
November 1, 2004 6:01:55 PM

I second that.

Also, with DVDShrink you don't need any other software, it does it all.

XP2800+, Abit NF7, 1GB Dual-Channel DDR333, ATI R9800PRO 128MB, TT PurePower 420W, LG DVD+-R/RW
:redface: <font color=red>My wife says I suffer from premature ejaculation...I don't remember suffering<font color=red> :wink:
!